1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Making a Murderer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by J Sizzle, Dec 15, 2015.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

In regards to the "sweat DNA", an investigator also testified that he lifted the hood to check the odometer while using the same gloves that had handled Avery's personal items. Contamination could have easily happened through secondary contamination.

The state's investigation and prosecution were grossly mishandled in this case. Combine that with plenty of reasonable doubt, Steven Avery is deserving of a second trial. Reddit has a lot more current information if you're interested.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Of course he was coached..but someone who is said to not be very bright likely will still have a hiccup or two under that kind of stress. They were questioning him in a way that would confuse him, but it didnt. He had to think before answering a few times and was able to do it succesfully. Night and day, compared to pre-trial, even with coaching.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Why does the flavor of the DNA matter -- what's the difference between sweet and sour?

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I started out with high expectations and it started out too redneckish that I stopped. must lower my standards.

5. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Yeah?

1 person likes this.
  6. Duncan McDonuts

Yeah?

1 person likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

It is just funny how Kratz claims it's from sweat, when it's easily just been spelled out by someone not even involved with the case (a few posts up) how it could have easily been cross contamination.

This man, whether guilty or not, has been failed by our justice system - twice. It's, so far, cost him the vast majority of his adult life. A huge shame.

In our country, you must be proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. In two cases, there's been ample reasonable doubt. Somehow, twice, he's been convicted.

What this whole situation has done for me is made me doubt our legal system. I thought it was great once. Now, I realize that with the common outlier of stupid, it can't be great ever.

8. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

good writeup in The New Yorker

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/01/25/dead-certainty?intcid=mod-most-popular

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Im not going to sit on my ass for an hour for 10 episodes to find out about a guy that jerks it while on top of the hood of a car.

10. omgTHEpotential

It was a good show. Granted, I stopped after I watched 8 episodes. But only because it was so ****ing infuriating and disgusting.

11. Two Sandwiches

Dr Phil featured the story yesterday and last Friday. As a warning, if you can't stand Nancy Grace, such as I, steer clear of Friday's episode.

Overall, he took the same general stance that I have: maybe he did it, but there seems to be a lot of reasonable doubt. Because of that, I think the guy deserves a new trial.

Unfortunately, because of the press, including Dr Phil, he may never get a fair trial, even if it is re-tried.

12. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Wait, what? You mean the sweat found on the latch of the hood?

13. Duncan McDonuts

http://www.htrnews.com/story/news/l...ew-colborn-rips-report-steven-avery/79013356/

Colborn's first statement about the publicity since the series aired. This was an e-mail he sent a Wisconsin reporter about an article. The irony is thick.

14. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The first episode had a small part about someone who claims Avery did this and was partly a reason they thought he might be guilty of the sexual assault.

Also, let's stop calling it sweat -- it was DNA. Could've been scraped from his arm, no definitive proof that it came from sweat.

15. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I believe it was the prosecution trying to pass it off as sweat DNA, so that's why I think some of us are going with that. His momma named him Clay, I'ma call him Clay :)

16. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I just find it interesting that the side that is rushing to call the documentary bias is running wild with an inaccurate claim from the prosecutor. The public pendulum swings both ways.

17. Two Sandwiches

I couldn't believe even people such as Dr. Phil are still reporting it was sweat. That makes is sound more damning than the evidence actually is. Knowing that it's epithelial cells of unknown origin largely leaves open the simple explanation that it was cross-contamination.

Makes me wonder how inaccurate other "facts" are that were purported by the prosecutor.

Just such a waste of our judicial system...

18. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I have not had the chance to see this yet. Will probably binge this weekend.
    Does anyone ever interview the jurors to get their thoughts and to see if they can talk about what may or may not have been left out of the show that they saw in the courtroom?

19. SonofSatoshi

SonofSatoshi Member

One juror who was excused for medical reasons during deliberations is interviewed several times near the end of the series, he said that early in the deliberations, 7 were siding with Avery as innocent, 3 as guilty, and two as undecided.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/01/08/making-murderer-juror-verdict-steven-avery

20. 713

713 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news...-discuss-the-benefits-of-web-sleuths-20160119