1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Netflix] Aziz Ansari's Master of None

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kevC, Nov 6, 2015.

1. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Will check it out, hope it's better than Kimmy Schmidt.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Was wondering if Noel Wells would resurface after her very short stint on SNL. I always thought she was pretty good and was surprised she got let go so quickly.

3. thejav

thejav Member

Great show.. but Dev is a ****ing idiot..just sayin..

4. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Definitely in the Louie style, which I like. Laughed so hard with the Sherlock bit and the crazy coat stealing girl.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Watched the first 3 episodes and I thought this too. It's like a more straightforward and not as good version of Louie. But to me that's a good thing since Louie is the best show of it's kind. Will continue to watch.

6. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

Binge watched the rest of the season today. Very nice season, looking forward to another. I like how each episode are almost their own vignette.

Some of the comedy was a bit rehashed from his latest standup special which was kind of disappointing.

But actually the comedy was better as a show like this than his actually standup special.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

1 was okay, but I really liked episode 2. Ill continue it after i finish up 30 Rock. I'm behind on lots of comedy sitcoms. Never watched Seinfeld other than like maybe 10 random episodes. Need to watch Parks and Rec. Community. Silicon Valley. More i can't think of right now.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

If you've never watched Seinfeld you should check it out first, so you can appreciate its influence on every half decent sitcom since then.

9. DreamRoxCoogFan

just saw the first 2 episodes and wasn't a fan. Second episode was particularly terrible.

zeeshan2 likes this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Episode 1 was meh for me. Obligatory tall, chubby, nasaly, glasses guy is a bad actor. Prefer the version on Married better (I don't like Married).

11. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

care to explain?

12. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Up to episode 3 now, enjoying each episode more and more.

Great song selection too. Aphex Twin 'Come to Daddy' when he daydreams about becoming a dad, and opening w/ Pete Rock & CL Smooth on the reminisce episode. Any show that opens with that guarantees I'm in.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Episode 2.
    Acting = F
    Execution of the episode as a whole = D+
    Creativity and execution on the flashback sequences = A+
    Re-purposing an old Aziz bit into live action = meh

Acting is so bad. I get they don't care how bad the acting is... but it's so bad. Feels like they're trying to skin a sketch comedy as a sitcom.

14. Victorious

Victorious Member

i watched 6 episode so far and i really like it. its different. it does have the "louie" feel which is the best way to describe it. not a traditional sitcom, and definitely not a serial tv series. i think asians can definitely relate to some of the topics covered on the show, which is rare and interesting to finally see.

15. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

This was pretty much what I was going to say. I'm through 6 episodes, and I've found the show to be pretty funny.

Hope there is a 2nd season.

16. VanityHalfBlack

Asians and Indians, this show is for you. I think I prefer this kind of show. It's funny but it's also real in a way? It's through a perspective that you haven't seen on a show before. The style is nothing new but through a different lens, it's quite refreshing. Aziz Dad is pretty funny!!! How dare they smash his abacus as a kid, that's mean!!!

17. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I don't think there's any groundbreaking ideas on the show, just that it's been applied to Indian & Asian culture a bit.

They've just taken the standard guilt that reasonable people of any race feel, e.g. regarding old people put in homes, and made a show out of it. Yes there's a couple of episodes concerned with guilt specific to second generation immigrants of Asian & Indian origin, but even that has some translate-ability to people of other cultures.

I watched it because it was familiar but I couldn't really enjoy it. I don't think anyone enjoys being guilt-tripped. I have real life for that.

It's some of Aziz's less l-o-l standup material in show form, just like Louis CK did.

Aziz's awkwardness as an actor is the most entertaining part to me. I hope they lighten up on the subject matter a bit, like Aziz's first standup show instead of his more recent stuff. I think the guy might be going through a mild depression or quarter-life-crisis. Hence the subject matter sounding familiar.

18. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Enjoyed this show - it does catered toward minorities. Perhaps white people may not find the show as interesting or funny as they may not be able to correlate especially when the shows deals with racist topics. Hope Netflix renews this for a second season.

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

hilarious and great show

20. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Im trying to get me some Ticklers white bbq sauce