1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nest Thermostat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Nero, May 16, 2013.

1. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

3.2 Billion??
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Just think. Nest has tremendously successful hardware that they sell to overwhelming fanfare generating tens of millions of dollars. They also have an impressive infrastructure to control all of said hardware.

Meanwhile... SnapChat generates zero revenue and has no real product, yet they turned down $3 billion from Facebook. Crazy world we live in.

3. rex

rex Member

4. Svpernaut

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

WTF! Why would SnapChat turn down anything that starts with a B? They are just some trend, and they will be irrelevant in 2-5 years time... I would of cashed in that Lotto ticket!

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Google money will help them, but I think Nest is actually in a pretty precarious position in the market. They have a first mover advantage, but in the long-run, they may be disintermediated by other thermostat manufacturers with closer relationships to energy companies, security companies, telecom companies, or HVAc companies. A lot of different adjacent companies are getting into connected homes and home energy management with the smart themostat a major hub for that play. So, maybe Nest wins and uses their thermostat to leverage into a larger connected home offer that branches out to energy management, security management, and wider home automation. But, just as easily, someone like Comcast can use their presence in telecom, cable, and security to build a home automation business that cuts Nest out of the loop. The smart-phone app and learning algorithm have already been copied by competitors, and their smoke detectors won't get any penetration at that price point. The cachet advantage isn't sustainable either (see Samsung's response to Apple). Their one advantage is they're a first mover with innovation. They have a chance if they can quickly execute on their roadmap to automate the home and get market share (and throw up barriers to switching) before competitors can catch up. If they aren't quick, they'll be a one-trick pony.

7. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

The interconnected end user experience is what nest/google can provide but those other hvac/telecom companies will struggle at

8. Svpernaut

They already begun teaming up with energy companies, and have for some time now. As an example, Reliant was doing a promotion with a free Nest on one of their plans for the longest time. Their sales have been very strong for a first in market.

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I'm really lacking on my thermostat game according to this thread, I got the most basic thermostat you can have... I think it might even be from the 80's lol

10. Svpernaut

It really is weird to be stoked about something as simple as a thermostat, but home automation is going to be amazing... and this lets you get a taste of the future.

Seriously, how long have people been watching "home of the future" videos? We're getting there finally.

1950s home of the future...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VowfYuhx1-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And of course Microsoft's home of the future =D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_vsoBsgqoEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Damn people loved plastic in the 50's haha

that Microsoft house is pretty sweet, all the crazy features seem practical.

12. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I have a Honeywell WIFI thermostat with a color display.
    I like it more than the Nest. I researched both and prefer the nice display, features, and remote control functions of Honeywell vs Nest

[​IMG]

13. Svpernaut

That thing is quite ugly.

14. JuanValdez

Yes, I'm familiar. Even energy companies' customer relationships aren't as valuable, imo, as those of the security/telecom companies for a full-blown connected home offer. It's easier for someone like AT&T to fold a smart thermostat into their home automation suite (Digital Life, which can include alarms, security cameras, automated locks, smoke and CO detectors, smart thermostats, energy managment, and water leak detection in a single interface, with a mobile app to control it all -- and, oh, they also already have your business for the cell phone, your internet connection, and your cable tv), than it is for an energy company or a smart thermostat company to fold in home security. Energy companies are a good route to energy management business, but not so great for home automation business. I think Nest winning out against telecom is possible (they seem more competent), but hardly a slam dunk.

15. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I agree with this. See ReplayTV and TiVo versus generic DirecTV/Comcast DVRs.

16. TexasFight

TexasFight Member

I have a Nest thermostat and their new smoke detector.

I think next month I'll be getting this wifi/video camera enabled door bell w smart phone app... surprised Nest didn't get to it first.

http://www.skybell.com/

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I thought the Nest only worked with a certain energy company (Reliant I think)? I could swear it was like that before when I was looking at one. I bought a wifi Honeywell and my board must have been so old that there was no wiring configuration I could come up with to make it work. Went through all the various wiring setup video guides and everything. I didn't realize a 1997-ish system was the stone age but, apparently, it is when it comes to those circuit boards that you wire the thermostat to. So, I put the old PoC (piece of cr..) back on. I was like missing an entire wire in every configuration. :mad:

18. updawg

updawg Member

Doesn't matter on provider for the nest. Some give tea bates or promotions so maybe that's what you are thinking

I have a similar aged system so I'm sticking old school

19. JuanValdez

Anybody can use it (if they have all the wires, I guess), but they have an strategic partnership with Reliant/Green Mountain in competitve US markets, with utilities in several regulated markets, with Georgia Power in Georgia, etc. so that those companies can bundle the thermostat with their energy contracts.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I think the only time I touch my thermostat is when I'm home on a workday or to reset the time when we go on and off Daylight Saving time. I'm still trying to figure out how the heck a Nest is beneficial to me. I hear "it learns your usage". Do you guys constantly manipulate your thermostat? Well my usage is that I set my programmable thermostat for one temp when I'm here and another temp when I'm not. I like gadgety stuff, but I still need to be convinced.

That Honeywell posted above looks sweet. :grin: