1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nerlens Noel

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by da_juice, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Come_Again?!

Come_Again?! Member

Man I hate seeing **** like this happen. It was just hard watching him scream in pain.

2. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Very true but from that small sample size he proved he could be a defensive threat every night.

:(:(:(

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Damn I wonder if his stock takes a drop out of the top 3?

4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Could the Rockets somehow steal him in the draft (via trade of course) because of this injury?

5. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Guess that makes the 2013 draft a little weaker. Let's hope for 2014!

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I guess you haven't heard the name Andrew Wiggins?

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I don't see it even if we do keep ours at #14/13. I think he goes top 5 no matter what. Top 8 only if a couple of the other bigs have head turning Tourneys. Bigs are too valuable a commodity.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

One guy doesn't make a draft class strong.....2013 is widely regarded as being a weak draft class. Hell, if Noel can rehab AD-style, he might even be able to claw his way back into the top 5.

9. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Seems like a pretty weak draft... he may still be worth a big gamble?

10. Rocketaggie89

Rocketaggie89 Member

Power Forward of the future right there

11. Big Red Machine

You guys think he'll still enter the draft?

I don't see him returning to Kentucky either way it goes. For one, Calipari's already secured his replacement. He's counting on Noel, Poythress and Goodwin (maybe even Cauley-Stein) to go pro to make room for next year's recruits.

I think he should not enter this year's draft, focus on rehab, shake the rust off in the D-League, and then enter in 2014. He'd be a top 2 pick, at worst. Wiggins is his only competition. I don't think he goes #2 this year, so it'd be worth it, IMO.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not sure about the d-league part, but I think you're on to something otherwise. Definitely shouldn't go back to Kentucky. I like the take a year off and rehab approach, with some way of showcasing skill set towards draft time next year...

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

Injuries involving photographers behind the baseline, whether directly or indirectly, seem to happen a lot.

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

This is why I hate the bs age rule. Kid should have been able to go straight to the pros if teams are willing to draft and pay him. Instead he has to expose himself to injury risk so a school can make $$ off of him.

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

yeah athletes in europe are allowed to forgo school altogether pretty much..

the whole argument that there is no fallback in case of injury is pretty pointless. athletes with degrees.. come on, they aren't really going to get a job in said field.

if athletes in america were just allowed to be athletes and not forced into the awkward position of being a premier student-athlete I think we'd see the overall quality of the game increase. European soccer players go to soccer academies

In america the top athletes go to a lot of the same schools which are in essence sports academies.. but they aren't referred to as basketball academies. They're just disguised as prep academies. Might as well let the top talents focus on sports like they're professionals from a young age. This is done in America with AAU and top youth camps, but its all very fragmented and the athlete still has to pass useless things like standardized test scores and pretend to be a student

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

Especially when they're only in school for a year. They should let you jump or force a minimuim 3 year commitment.

17. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

the commitment thing is awkward too.. there should be no requirements whatsoever..

theres no point in trying to provide a safety route for athletes who cant go pro all of a sudden because of injury.. they'll find work in their sport eventually. We need to foster an attitude among athletes that is basically like Europe. you live eat breathe, and **** the sport that youre going to go professional in. America half asses it in this respect a LOT. If more kids decided from a young age that theyre going to eat, sleep, breathe, and **** basketball you would see the game EXPLODE

the 1 year rule is for money reasons and money reasons only (for the programs and TV channels and ****)

18. Nextup

Nextup Member

He will still be a top 3 pick. He still has a shot to go first. It's a weak Draft.

19. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

I doubt he's top 3. It's not like he was consensus star of the draft.
    I think he's probably lower lotto now but I'd still enter the draft in his place. I say OKC gets him with the Raptors pick.

20. Nextup

Nextup Member

He was a sure thing to go number 1.