1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nene out for rest of the season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, May 8, 2017.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it hurts us against GS..... where Nene and CC were going to be a two headed monster hitting them in their Achilles Heel. And, against Cleveland.. Now, a commitment to small ball...asking Gordon to open up his game, risking injury..heavier minutes for Lou...CC's only 22 ...and is developing...I think he'll play at a higher level. We'll see how many minutes and at what level. But this is asking a lot. Nene was a leader/enforcer....great passer/pnr guy... Big loss.

#121 Plowman, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  2. Junebball

Junebball Member

Clearly, we are effective offensively when we play with one big. I am a big Montrezl fan, but this is not a series for him. IF we get through Spurs, Montrezl will be very effective against the Warriors. He had a monster game in that OT win against the Warriors early in the regular season. That was the game that Nene didn't play.

HakeemOnlyFan likes this.
  3. riko

riko Member

Nene is the Antitheses of Dwight Coward....Great leader, good leader and teammate

sugrlndkid likes this.
  4. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Reading the spurs forum, they actually think its good for houston..... On another note, spurs forum is cancer to read, they have no filter.

Jayzers_100 and Daddy Long Legs like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

So sad. He was having a great season. Hope he comes back next year. I think since he is close to retirement, "role and happiness" might be more important than a larger payday for another team. This is a great place for Nene.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

They are freaking terrible...

...but I think for this particular matchup, they are right. Going small with Anderson at the 5 pulled Lee/Aldridge/Gasol out of the paint and really opened things up. It's a small sample size of course, and I'm fairly confident Pop will adjust in some way, but it seems promising. They got buried with that lineup in.

7. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Im upset and he was huge for us but does anyone else think this might help us? Starting eric and having ryan be a small 5 seemed to open up the 3 point ball for us again.

Nene would hurt us in the future if we survivr but im not sure this was a good series for him

8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I love NeNe and believe his veteran leadership is vital to our team's success, but does he really move the needle THAT much against the Spurs or GSW? I'd say more so against the Spurs than against GSW. I don't feel like our chances are severely hampered with him off the court. Does it hurt? Losing any rotation guy in the playoffs hurts, but will it make it EXTREMELY difficult on us? I don't think so.

I hope I'm right.

Rox11 likes this.
  9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Dwight Coward? Oh, you mean the $25M Invisible Man...

10. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

its not like we're getting past the warriors w/o a 2nd scoring option. eg, lou or ryan aint that guy. they're perfect 3rd options.

but still, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu this sucks big time. **** this

11. YallMean

YallMean Member

Is Montrez that bad? Time to play him a little.

12. YallMean

YallMean Member

Yeah, he acted all pissed and walked straight to the locker room. But OTOH, we want him to be motivated and pissed.

13. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

If DAntoni plays Harrell he'll stick w/ him. I dont see him not committing to him enough to give him a chance to settle in. But the question is do we have time to experiment with the adjustment?

Or would we teamwise just compensate w/ the guys we have, Capella playing a bit more, Anderson and Decker, Harden playing their bigs, and trying to get up even more 3s-- I think this what itll be.

14. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Sucks. Hope he's able to be back healthy next year. Guy has been through a lot with his cancer and other injuries.

15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Anderson has no excuses now, he will play better

16. dlite316

dlite316 Member

Terrible news. 7 man rotation is just too short, somebody else needs to step up at the big stage!

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Herrera? He was not replaced by Elie. He was replaced by moving Horry to PF and Elie moved up to the starting SF. They tried starting Chucky Brown before doing this. Herrera was valuable but I think NeNe is more valuable to this team. I'm a UH guy too. All of this was in an effort to replace the traded Otis Thorpe. We even tried Pete Chilcutt.

#137 Tomstro, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    RasaqBoi likes this.
  18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Feel horrible for him. He's been a real help for the Rockets. But luckily there are a lot of people on the bench who can come up big for us. We can win it for Beverley and Nene now. Let's go Rockets!

19. HTX Ninja

HTX Ninja Member

You guys think the NBA should implement a rule stating that if a player is injured during the playoffs and is out indefinitely til next season that a team should be able to sign a free agent in place for that injured player?

20. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Official asterisk for any team that wins the championship other than Houston.

Tomstro likes this.