1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Needed]: Orthopedic Doc Recommendation - bum knee & ankle

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Aug 27, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I busted my ankle up pretty good several years ago and it's never been the same. Like a dummy, I never got it checked out. My knee now feels like a wobbly table leg, and that's probably due to whatever compensating I've been doing over the years because of the ankle.

I'm anticipating surgery, but at the very least I need to be checked out by someone who knows what he's doing.

I have a recommendation from my doc, but I don't know anything about the guy. I know a bunch of y'all are athletes and might know something about this. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

I'm currently living in Spring Branch, but I'd happily go to the Houston Bone & Joint Clinic or wherever.

Thanks....

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

go to a physical therapist and get a posture/aligment assessment...might need 2 opinions to compare them and make sure everything is on point. That alone may be all you need if they can get you doing some rehab to get you into good aligment.

How old are you and what kind of issues are you having with your knee? How much pain and when? You may be asking for too much by expecting surgery. You'd probably need to be a worn out athlete, 40 yrs of age +, or pretty obese to cause enough damage to need surgery on a knee that hasnt had a direct injury.

3. omair

omair Contributing Member

I had the same problem, enough so that my name became an acronym for my ankle problems. It got to a point where my knee felt like it was hanging on a string and it could fall off at any time.

I went to therapy for about 5 months to regain the strength and balance about 7 years ago. It really helped and since then I haven't had that feeling and the strength has remained. Go get a referral for a therapist, you wont need surgery most likely

4. FFz

FFz Member

yao and t-mac went to tom clayton or whoever? don't know how good/bad that is.

5. Lynus302

I'm 34. Ankle injury happened ~3 years ago; knee has been screwy for about a year. I need to get new MRIs on my back, so I figured I'd see a doc to discuss all three.

I have to be super-aware of walking/stepping up or down/turning corners, getting into/out of the shower, etc.

Like I said it feels like a wobbly table leg. Most of the pain is at the lateral menicsus of my right knee.

My back is all effed up too so I know that doesn't help.

I do know I need xrays at the very least on my ankle and knee. Family doc agreed.

Damn I'm more banged up than I should be.

Edit: I know I jumped the gun when I mentioned surgery, but I do need an ortho consult.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

So it's the right knee and right ankle? Just asking, sometimes compensation patterns affect the opposite side...

I think it's VERY important for you to go to a doctor that will check your whole body and not just focus on your knee. Which doc that may be won't be easy to say because it depends on their philosophy. For example, some podiatrists may strictly stick to feet, which seems reasonable enough, except for the fact that problems above the foot as far as the head can be the cause of a foot problem. In your case, assuming you've never had any significant injuries elsewhere i guess it's safe to say the problem came from the bottom (your ankle).

I'd say you get that postural assessment, see what they point out as being "wrong". If you find the compensations havent really traveled up your body then your foot may be all that needs to be taken care of to fix your knee alignment. I guess then a PT or podiatrist would work.

check out these links:

http://www.massagetoday.com/mpacms/mt/article.php?id=13671

http://www.massagetoday.com/mpacms/mt/article.php?id=13710

and this:

http://www.footmaxx.com/uploaded/product_category_pdf/file_22.pdf

the first two explain short leg syndrome, which seems irrelevant, but it's actually what can result from an ankle injury and bad foot aligment.

the third link explains common foot changes due to compensation ( one or two are natural deformities, probably can rule those out).

the point of this is for you to gain an understanding of what can happen and you may even be able to pinpoint your issue. This can help a ton when you actually go to see someone, since you'll understand more and can ask a lot more direct questions.

7. DooghMaster9

DooghMaster9 Member

dr. osbourne at the Methodist hospital on 1960 and 249 is a ****ing winner...fixed my knee is highschool and again while i was playing in a league at lifetime fitness near by recently

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mark Provenzano, Orthopedic Sports Clinic:

http://orthopedicsports.com/home.htm

After over a decade of going to doctors who just told me to take aleve for my knees, he was a bit of a revelation because he actually wants me to be pain free. Not there yet, but I am better than I was before I started seeing him (one surgery down on one knee, now I need one on the other).

He specializes in the knee and below. His partner Palumbo specializes in hands and upper body issues.

The clinic also has a good rehab facility inside.

9. Lynus302

Thanks for the recs, y'all.

10. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I hear this guy is good

[​IMG]

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Go through the regular motions... unless you can't directly go to an orthopedics guy. :eek: I'll get the name of someone recommended to me, but I had endomeniscectomy done on my left knee about 6 years ago at Lone Star Bone & Joint Clinic (in the Memorial/Town&Park area) and Dr. Clark did a good job. :eek:
    Juicystream ^ photo. :eek: mocos

Now I gotta go P. Thanks.

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

http://www.drmaffet.com/

i used him for my torn acl AND rotator cuff. he does a great job of listening and explaining. he used to have offices in med center and sugarland but now he's only in sugarland.

13. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I got my knee surgery (I had a fairly bad fracture along with large amounts of torn cartilage in my left knee) from The Fondren Orthopedic Group at the Texas Orthopedic Hospital.

Great hospital and phenomenal doctors (my surgeon was a guy by the name of Dr. Hussein Elkhousy). My surgeon is actually the knee surgeon that the houston rockets use for all of their players so it was cool seeing signed autographs everywhere and lots of rockets memorabilia. And considering there was a decent chance that the surgery would fail, they did a great job and I'm more than able to walk again now.