1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need some advice about college/future career choice.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by roxxfan, Mar 29, 2014.

1. BonziWellsGOAT

lol where

2. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Hey everyone. Sorry it took so damn long to finally respond.

Just to give an update.

I just got accepted back into the four year university I went to previously (when I dropped all the classes like a moron.) I am going full time starting in August with a major in the biological and physical sciences. I already started the process of financial aid, etc. This is going to be the first time I am going to work and go to school, both full-time. I decided to add the physical sciences so it will add some elements of the other core sciences as well (chemistry, physics, etc.) and it will enable me to get a well-rounded degree.

I am focusing on something in the medical field. Maybe not a medical doctor per se, but something involved in the everyday processes of hospitals. However, I have not completely ruled that out. In particular, I am intrigued by emergency medicine, with the adrenaline rush of life and death situations.

Just to give the general idea, I am a member of the Phi Theta Kappa honor society, a kind of prestigious honor society among two year colleges (meh, I know.) Like stated previously, I have 200 plus hours of volunteer work in hospitals.

I kicked ass in high school, in particular, at a decent private school in the heart of Houston, where I went to on a near full scholarship. I transferred to a public school the last two years of high school or so, and I think I graduated with a 3.7 GPA or so. First two semesters of college I had a near perfect GPA, but since then I've made bad decisions and here I am now.

At the four year university, I really don't have a GPA (well it's technically 0.00), but I am going to retake those classes, and that grade will replace that. Like I said, this piss poor record will make the MD aspiration extremely difficult, if not nearly impossible. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I have talked to a couple of people who were quite pleased with their choices as a specialty tech on equipment, IE Xray tech or Sonogram tech. I think it is a two year type program to get it done. May want to look into that to make sure you are on the right track if that is something you want.

4. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Consider a Physician's Assistant which is a masters degree program but pays very well. This is in very high demand since you can write scripts, order tests, diagnose, and do just about everything a MD can do.

Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

Actually found this post inspiring. Waiting on my transfer into UT majoring in EE. UTDallas as a backup. But you're definitely right, that's the mentality I'll try having going forward. Like Ali once said, struggle now and live the rest of your life as a champion!