1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Bogey, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I don't consider myself to be a republican, but just a conservative. My life is pretty good, have decent job making decent money (in the oil and gas business). I'm only 35 so not worried about the lull in the stock market, it will rebound as it always does, so my retirement will still be good.

My concern, I've never been more scared of someone taking over the presidency as I am right now with Obama. I see everyone talking about this "historic" election, I assume because he is part black, which for me, matters not at all. So many people are excited about this, but the more I hear about him and his projected policies, the more worried I get.

Need help easing my concerns/worries about the next 4 years.

2. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

So what do you want help with.

3. Bogey

Edited op

4. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

You might want to first outline why you're scared otherwise there's not much anyone can do.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Agree. And consider doing a little research. good luck!

6. Bogey

Nevermind....guess everyone else besides me and the few right wing wackos are excited about Obama

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Well, you could take comfort in the fact that we've divided power into 3 branches in this country, so one bad president couldn't do too much damage. But then, the Congress will be majority democrat, perhaps strongly, and will likely help Obama do many of the things he wants to do; and Obama could very well be appointing one or more SCJs during his term as well. So, maybe there isn't much comfort there.

I think you're left with this: Obama is a smart dude, and better than you give him credit for. Prepare to be pleasantly surprised. Sorry I couldn't do more for you.

8. halfbreed

Wait. You come in here say "I'm scared of Obama" then want people to reassure you without any idea as to what areas of his policy you're scared of?

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

What's so hard about this doing what halfbreed said? What exactly are you "scared" of?

Edit- Halfbreed read my screen before I could hit submit.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Looks like you're looking for everyone to agree with you. Why dance around it w/ your initial question?

11. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

He's a conservative looking for a handout, as it's clear he doesn't want to do any real work on his own. He simply wants us to spread the wealth...of information.

12. Bogey

Mostly taxes, not just income taxes, but capital gains tax, 401k taxes, gains on sales of house, etc. I could be way off base on those.
    And as a thread I started earlier, windfall profit taxes. It's been done before and think could really hurt the economy in Houston. I could be wrong, but I think he and the democratic leaders in congress want to push this through early next year.

That and also all this stuff about his past associates and his wifes disertation and other stuff that the media seems to be trying to hide until after the election. A lot of it could be made up, but like they said, where there is smoke there is fire.

I just have a very uneasy felling about him moreso than any elected official I've ever seen.

13. Apollo Creed

There you go. Forget about all that economy crap you pretend you care about. Be upfront about your total, glorious ignorance.

14. hitman1900

hitman1900 Member

You serious? Even with the past 8 years? I was scared as hell when Dubya was re-elected.

15. Bogey

Don't act like your some kind of genious, the first part of my statement was the real questions I have, but thanks for making the assumption.

16. halfbreed

I don't agree with his tax policies, either.

This "stuff" about past associates and his wife's dissertation shouldn't make a difference unless you're looking for a reason to hate the guy.

I'm an independent who voted for George Bush in 2004 and would do so again if given the opportunity. I voted for Barack Obama in this election. He was the only Democrat I voted for as I voted a mainly Libertarian ticket. I view Barack Obama as the lesser of two evils in this election. Who he might have known in the past or what his wife may have written should not enter into your decision process at all.

17. Bogey

Personally, my life got better over the last 8 years. Sure my stocks suck right now, but I don't blame everything on the president.

18. Bogey

So why did you vote for Obama then? When you say lesser of two evils, what do you mean?

19. Apollo Creed

This made me laugh. :D Thanks.

20. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Unless your families adjust income after kids and house and such is over 250K, you don't have to worry about income taxes. If you make more than that, you only have to worry about 4 percent of the amount above that.

You probably will pay more in capital gains on everything except you house. You get an exemption on capital gains on houses you actually live in.

You do not have to worry about your 401K. Obama is actually talking about stopping the penalty for early withdrawal from you 401K. This is one policy I actually think is stupid.

You don't have to worry about the windfall tax unless Exxon continues to make 40-60 billion in profit a year.