1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need Help Choosing Between Offers II - Oil & Gas only

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Butterfingers, Nov 11, 2012.

1. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

As a continuation of this thread...

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=228281&highlight=butterfingers

Some recent developments have happened, I declined the consulting position and have decided to go into Oil & Gas. I received an offer from Chevron 2 days ago. So now I have to choose between Chevron and BHP Billiton.
    • Chevron pays 5k more in base salary
    • Their signing and relocation bonuses are the same
    • Chevron does 8% 401K, and BHP does 6%
    • BHP puts in 14% automatically for a pension retirement account, Chevron has this same pension plan but I do not know the exact percentage because I will receive the formal offer Monday.
    • BHP does a 5000K stock match, I think Chevron does this as well but I am not sure again how much exactly until I get my offer letter tomorrow.
    • BHP pays out an annual 20% bonus, whereas Chevron is only 7%
    • Chevron will cover 75% of the cost for an MBA, whereas BHP will only pay 20%
    • Chevron is in bellaire, BHP is in the galleria and has $2 subsidized lunches
    • BHP has 3 weeks vacation, Chevron 2 weeks

They are both Financial Analyst positions. BHP has the better benefits overall, probably best in the industry, but Chevron is paying more in base salary. I am leaning more towards Chevron right now because of the brand name and 75% MBA reimbursement (I want to get an MBA). I already tried negotiating more in salary from BHP but they wouldn't budge.

The biggest factor for me is that BHP has the 20% annual bonus program which is huge. It is 3 times what Chevron pays out and in the future that bonus could be considerable once my salary starts growing more. One thing I fear about Chevron is that the company is so huge that growth opportunities might be less.

This is it from me, I have gone through all of my interviews and I will make my decision by the end of business Monday. If anyone works at Chevron and BHP please provide your insights!

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

congrats on the offers!

That looks like an even match. It's money vs benefits. I'd go with the benefits, myself. The 3 weeks vacation would be a big deal to me. And you will appreciate that if you start going to night school getting an MBA.

I'm going to say you might be over-thinking this part. Don't let that assumption get into your decision-making.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

What is BHP's commitment to their US operations? Is there risk of them pulling up stakes and returning to Australia? Could another competitor buy up their US operations drastically reduce the SG&A (people) in BHP's US arm? Chevron has no risk in that regard.

Chevron might have slightly better name recognition and the bigger company could provide you more opportunities to establish yourself and your accomplishments prior to b-school.

I wouldn't worry about the bonus % pre-MBA. You'll make far more money post MBA to where your pre-MBA compensation won't matter much in the long run.

I'd go with Chevron, based upon what you've laid out there.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Super majors are so big and competitive you could feel insignificant or immobile after a few years, but MBA costs could go to the freaking moon overnight, so I think I'd go with Chevron.

5. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

One thing to consider is that Chevron may or may not pay 75%...it all depends on the manager/department, the economy, and how much they want to invest in you. I know people at Chevron that had to turn down their first choice MBA because Chevron did not cover the 75% as advertised initially. That being said, one of my cohorts at Rice is getting 75% reimbursement so again it just depends on the circumstances.

6. mrdave543

mrdave543 Contributing Member

My wife is at BHP, they bought out her previous employer last year, and she likes it so far...waiting to see how the bonuses are at year end, but should be good.

7. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

This.

8. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

What's the position name? I turned down an offer from Chevron a year ago, in a similar position. Here's a few things I noted:

The growth opportunities there aren't great, even though the benefits are some of the best you'll find. They're really conservative so decisions come really slow and as a result its much harder to shine. There's a finance rotational program they have but its highly selective, and given to older candidates instead of young.

Also for vacation, Chevron goes up by a week until your 5th year I think, where it tops out at 6, which is sick. And the MBA options in Houston aren't that great, besides Rice, which they offer to some people and not others. So you should find out more about that.

Are both positions in the same process line? Downstream is where you want to be with oil and gas, and at Chevron that's where all the money is.

Like someone else said, Chevron has the name. But if you want growth, which I did, its not the company to be at.

9. Butterfingers

I know BHP recently acquired a company for 20 billion in order to get involved in the shale play. I think they are pretty committed to their US operations.

I want to go to Rice or UT for MBA and I know those 2 are quite expensive so I know Chevron could just be like we can't afford those and you should go to UH or A&M.

Do you think the bonus % would change once you are in a managerial role in your 30's? Do you work at one of the super-majors btw?

10. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Upstream is were the money is.

1 person likes this.
  11. Butterfingers

They're both Financial Analyst positions. I plan on applying for that leadership program later down the road.

UT, A&M, Rice, and UH aren't bad MBA schools either. UH not so much though...

Why do you say Downstream? I know if you trade you can make a lot in downstream, but I am doing a Financial Analyst position so Upstream is where the bulk of these oil companies profits come from. Almost 70%.

Where are you working now, if you don't mind me asking?

12. Butterfingers

Bump... For the working people this morning.

13. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

bonuses get taxed up the ass.

Never done any projects at BHP but I've enjoyed my time at Chevron. I agree with most here and say Chev is the way to go.

Either way best of luck.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

i worked at chevron last summer. interviewed at bhp. bad experiences at both

i work in commercial credit, my last job of three years was with a company like reliant. i worked for the natural gas/electricity unregulated marketing company for integrys energy group. i was always contract because halfway through my tenure they decided to downsize and they don't do commercial trading anymore.

i got a job at chevron a straight project, they were implementing a new trading platform and the program wasn't connecting to SAP. i was manually transferring info from SAP to the new program, energy credit. i sat on the eleventh floor of 1500 Louisiana. I worked with the credit team supporting oil traders. the eleventh floor is the trading floor.

first problem, i worked with kim a black chick who hadn't worked in two years, her last job was contract at chevron in the med center somewhere. it took her a week to get over the fact her and i weren't getting every other friday off, they work 9-80s.

second problem, it took a week and a half to get the right programs. it has to go through, IT (in india), then it has to go through security.

third and most importantly, very unfriendly co-workers. i was clearing out invoices for the oil tanker fuel team. none of the regulars wanted to help us find where to get info. they acted like we were a nuisance. it is the least friendly place i worked.

summary, the first week we got up and running i did me and kim's work because she was so upset of not getting 9-80s. there was a lot of confusion on how we should go about the project so there was a lot of down time. the regulars were upset when i sent my resume to their manager and she asked me to send her a write up on a counterparty.

i was let go one day, the staffing agency said i made people uncomfortable because i would walk around and stare at people's monitors. i would get up and walk around because i have diabetes and i have a resulting condition called neuropathy in which my nerves start acting up and i get pains through my body when sitting a long time. i never told anyone because no one ever talked to me. they were insecure assholes.

bhp

i interviewed there two months ago for a credit position supporting their oil trading desk. my first job out of college i worked for a bank that catered to small businesses. i told the manager, a black chick, i know i remember from high school (i'm black, she's very attractive), that my small business background is sometimes a problem. i say its harder to evaluate small businesses because there is less info.

that interview was on a friday, i called the staffing agency monday to say i really wanted the job and they told me that bhp didn't want to hire me because of my small business background. i worked three years at a publicly traded company dealing with investment bank counterparties. australians are assholes, i learned from dealing with mcguarie cook an investment bank over there.

15. Butterfingers

I would be in the Bellaire office in Chevron and doing Finance so hopefully those experiences do not happen haha.

16. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

Are you sure BHP's 20% is greater than Chevron's 7%? Based on what you've provided, I would say Chevron. Whatever you think will keep you happy though...

17. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

They do that because they don't know what your year end tax rate will be. If it's lower than what they taxed at, you will get it back in a refund. It's not like the money just gets taken.

18. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I think that's a big concern too. I've heard of many companies touting that they pay for MBAs, etc, but they actually have a cap of how many people can go each year. So you might get put in a wait list and not be able to go to MBA school for 5 years. Something to consider.

If they're willing to let you go to Rice ($44k tuition) or UT ($60k tuition) then Chevron would win out because they're paying for so much of it. If they make you go to a cheaper school then the bonus difference would bring the two closer.

19. manbearpig

manbearpig Member

I'm at BofA now, so I turned it down for a different industry altogether.

There's other good schools in Texas, but if you're gonna do your MBA through Chevron, it's going to be an executive MBA, so you would have to go to a school in Houston right?

I heard downstream has the money from a Chevron finance guy doing his exec MBA at Rice. He was pretty high up. But I could be wrong.

When I was deciding to accept, I got in contact with a few of the people who worked there in similar roles as me. They gave me real honest answers. You might want to try that, as no one here has had direct experience in your role.