1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need fitness tips, any trainers here?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets2K, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Well guys, nothing like being laidup for months to show you just how badly out of shape you are:(. So, in an effort to get back in shape, I have joined the local 24hr fitness sport place round the corner.

Problem is, there are tons of exercises and I can't quite swing paying one of their resident trainers for guidance....so I turn to the buff fitness freaks that I know inhabit clutchfans.

Some useful details:

6'2" 250 , not ungodly fat, but I do have a bit of a gut
    I worked out extensively in HS, but not since then.

Most of yall know I was recently hospitalized for a aortic replacement, so I am technically a heart patient. I've been released by my cardiologist for full activity as long as I dont attempt to lift over 50 lbs...I expect that restriction to be lifted eventually, he is jsut worried about me tearing the chest scar tissue and possibly weakening the sternum that was split to provide access to my heart.

I do need to keep cardio in my routine to ensure my heart is as strong as it can be, so far I have been to the gym twice (M and W) and did 2 miles at a brisk walk(3.5 @ 1.0 elevation) each time.

Now, what I need from yall is help laying out a good routine(that includes cardio) to follow to effectively work my whole body. Till I get a little further along, I plan on sticking to a 3 day split, going M/W/F, and maybe going a couple other days just to swim or shoot baskets.

Any pros out there willing to help a brutha out? Would really appreciate it.

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm not a trainer but....

questions:

Do you want to lose a lot of weight?

how much time do you have for a routine each day and how many days a week are you willing to train?

do you have joint problems (knee, shoulder, etc)?

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

argh, knew I was forgetting some details.

I need to get back down to what a decent weight is for my frame and height....about 210-220. Im not a skinny man, and never have been...Last time I was near 210 at this height, my abs were clearly visible.

I have been spending about an hour and a half or so on the two days I have been...I have time to play with so that is flexible.

No obvious joint problems...knee gets a little sore when the weather changes...and my ankles are whining about doing 4 miles this week, but other than that...no worries.

and I guess the age might be important, most know I am oldish...but I am actually 45. :eek:

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

There's no restrictions on cardio, as in max heart rate? That'll deterimine what you'r cardio workout will be like. If you can, do cardio on days you dont do resistance training. Maybe MWF can be weights and TTh and Sun or Sat can be cardio days.

First of all i'd look at your diet. Calculate your RMR (google RMR calculator) and then compare that to an estimate of the number of calories you eat per day. Basically just make sure you're not overeating significantly, like eating 4000 calories when you're suppose to be getting 2000. Something like 0-500 over is cool, especially on days you workout. Restrict refined carbs and surgars as much as possible. This alone will help a lot, especially losing pounds.

As for working out, my suggestion is sticking to machines or barbells since dumbbells allow more freedom and therefore more stretch . To keep it simple...pick exercises that (2 of each)

-push vertically
    -pull vertically
    -push horizontally
    -pull horizontally

that's for the upper body....i'm worried about the pulling though, as it gives the chest a stretch...

for lower body you need (2 of each)

-hip dominant or posterior chain (primary movement comes from hip/hamstrings, like deadlifts, curls)

-quad dominant or front chain (where your quads do the work, like leg extensions, leg press)

I'd say light weight for 10 reps is around where you should be.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

How many days exactly are you looking to spend in the gym because you can arrange it a number of ways..

3 days:
    weights/cardio
    weights/cardio
    weights/cardio

5 days
    weights
    cardio
    weights
    cardio
    weights

or

cardio
    weights
    cardio
    weights
    cardio

4 days
    cardio
    weights
    cardio
    weights

and on and on from there...

But of these basic splits which would you pick?

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

For cardio, I've been doing this:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/airforcejoin/a/afbasicworkout.htm

I'm on Week 8 right now. Pretty much this, combined with diet and I've lost 18 pounds (from 227 to 209) in the last 7 1/2 weeks. My walks are 3 mph (3.5 on the initial walking portion) and 6 mpg for the jog. Next week I'm bumping it up 6.7 mph for the running portions. Because of your heart, you probably want to adjust the speeds to reduce the workload.

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

And not to hate on anyone else's suggestions, but the best weight loss advice i can give you is to look at your life and decide what's making you overweight. Doing what has worked for others doesnt guarantee anything, but doing what will counter your bad habits should work 100% of the time.

Are you generally active, but overeat? Eat well, but never get off the couch? Overeat and sedentary? Are you overeating because of the amount of foods or the caloric density? Just breakdown your lifestyle and decide what's the cause, then change it and/or do something that counters it.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'm a big guy naturally myself. I hate the treadmill so I do mostly Elliptical machine. I'd say to start on the machines doing muscle group weight training.

Most gyms have the machines to use for certain areas (Backs, Legs, Chest) in the same areas.

I'd mix in a small amount of cardio after every work out but not more than 20-30 mins. And I wouldn't do 85% of my max heart rate. Just enough to get a good sweat going. Maybe for you 130 bpm.

I'd do groups on certain days.

Monday-Back (which will also work you biceps when ever you have to pull you're most likely doing a back workout.

Tues- - Legs ( I hate it but It keeps your body balanced and helps with Cardio)

Wed. (skip it for your legs sake)

Thurs- Chest ( If you're pushing you are working your chest and triceps more than likely)

maybe a little basketball on the weekend. EDIT: I do Yoga on fridays. It really helps the core.

Most important thing is your diet (I'm sure you've addressed it though)

that's my non professional advice.

oh, and don't spend 2 hours in the gym. You could do 40 mins weights and 20 mins cardio and you'd be fine

#8 REEKO_HTOWN, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'm in the best shape of my life thanks to a personal trainer, but I have a few suggestions. Understand, though, that I've always been a slim guy. I started personal training after I lost a ton of weight from radiation from a grand ol' case of cancer. :(

I've gained about 30 pounds of muscle/healthy weight within 3 months. I'm now at 175 with more tone than I thought my half-black ass could have.

Anyway:

Breakfast:
    Protein Powder with water (chug that nasty stuff)
    -Oatmeal with cut up bananas

Snack: Granola bar and Peach

Lunch: Combination of chicken and green beans.

Dinner: Your choice, within reason of your goal. You can still do fast food once a week if you take care of yourself the other 6 days.

MY BIGGEST RULE: Try to cut out bread completely for 3 months. You'll lose weight and tone up faster. If possible, give up the amount of coffee you drink. Avoid Starbucks at all costs :grin:

For the fitness portion:
    A. Consider a personal trainer
    B. Alternate days of legs, arms, core to confuse your body
    If you want to lose weight in your abdomen, I would suggest plenty of walking lunges, sit ups with a weight behind your head in your arms(pushing into the air, between your legs) if that makes sense, bicep curls.

***I've learned some plyometric exercises that help build core muscle to. These include fast step-ups on to a weight bench with 40 pound dumb bells, jumping up in the air as high as you can with the weights and immediately going into a lunge, etc...

I'm no expert, but this has really helped me build myself back up.

You've got this, R2K!

1 person likes this.
  10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

IN general...Im heavy from non-activity, not necessarily from over-eating.
    I do watch what I eat for the most part(no constant junkfoods, etc)...could I do better? absolutely...but when I do eat out, its mainly club sandwiches on wheat or other quasi-healthy foods.

Weight loss really isnt the primary motivation, I want to be able to hoop it up with you younguns one day ;), and I know I wouldnt make it thru 10 minutes at my current fitness level. I recognize that weight loss will come as I stay active with workouts and continue to work on avoiding excessive calories.

Personal trainers are great ideas in theory, but with both I and the wife working out now, she needs the trainer far worse than I do so what little funds Ihave to spare for trainers has to go for hers. I at least have worked out in my lifetime so I have a good basic understanding of the theory behind it, she hasnt ever worked out in her life.

Im taking in all suggestions at this point, as I havent nailed down a routine, all I have done so far is my sessions on the treadmill and some laps in the pool plus shooting some hoops to warm up before I start the cardio....when you are as out of shape as I am, jsut shooting round and chasing the misses works great to break a sweat.

The main part I am having trouble with is deciding how to incorporate the weight work in with the other stuff....and deciding which exercises woudl give the best results. Basically, every muscle group needs work.:(

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

don't get too hung up on specific exercises as there's always alot of variations and types. If you follow the sugestions i gave you in my initial post you're working out the chest, triceps, biceps, back, glutes, hams, quads, shoulders....pretty much everything. You could always get more specific, but for general fitness, especially basketball fitness, you dont really need much more. Maybe some dumbell external rotation can be added in to balance your rotator cuff.

also, just think very simple...if you want to play ball, then play ball. the swimming and running helps in general, but the best way to get in shape for a sport is to play it. If you want some variation then you can try running suicides on the court, as it's basketball related, but not actual playing.

can you explain what you mean here?

1 person likes this.
  12. Convictedstupid

Obviously the main thing to losing weight is diet. You can lift and run all you want but dieting is the main part in shedding pounds.

As someone who loves food and was raised in the kitchen, it sucks.

1 person likes this.
  13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

My PT had me hold 25 pounders in each hand, jump in the air with the weights in hand, land on two feet and do alternating lunges.

It's hard for me to explain, but without weights, it's a simple bunny hop, land on your feet and immediately do a low lunge.

14. updawg

updawg Member

sounds like you just need to keep moving and doing what you can/are. getting tied down to a schedule is going to be counterproductive sometimes.

anything you do is a plus. just keep pushing whether its swimming, riding, runninge etc. you are doing good so far.... are you going overboard and will get burnt out soon? that happens. you need to do it long haul and cardio work is what you need.

I'd stay away from heavy weights/regiment until you are stronger/better shape

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

You need to iinclude both diet and exercise. You can make a faster change with diet though.

One hour of running for a 205 lb person burns 745 calories at 5 mph.
    http://www.nutristrategy.com/caloriesburned.htm

You need a 3500 calorie deficit to lose one pound of fat. If you worked out 5 x week for an hour and kept your calories at maintainance level, you would lose only 1 pound a week(745 calories x 5 one-hour running sessions =3725 calories)

A large person may need 3500-4000 calories a day. If they were to eat a 2500 calorie x day diet without any exercise, it would create a deficit of 1000-1500 calories a day or 7000-10,500 calories a week. They would drop 2-3 lbs a week without any exercise.

That's why you hear about some people who bust their butt in the gym, but they have made very little progress after several weeks. Their eating habits usually have not changed.

1 person likes this.
  16. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

17. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

if his RMR is at a good range he should focus on activity, otherwise creating the deficit would leave him feeling without energy and his body would fight him to lose the pounds. He said he eats well most of the time, but doesnt move enough, so i'd say more than likely exercising should be the focus, as long as it's within the doc's restriction.

18. Asian Sensation

Good stuff. Totally agree with the bold. Eating clean is vital.

1 person likes this.
  19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Wow....that was a fairly quick recovery R2K. At least to the point that you're clear for more then light cardio. Awesome.

No advice here. Just good wishes.

and whatever these youngster gym rats tell ya'.....scale it down some :cool:

Eat healthy....keep moving. Good luck.

20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

olympic lifts are a terrific cardiovascular excercise and of course you can play basketball as your main exercise for now.