1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need Advice- Job opportunity in Tyler, TX

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by xcamm1, Oct 27, 2014.

1. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Take the job, buy a home in Houston and rent it? After 5-10 years, your home will be nearly paid off and you can move back when you're tired of the job in Tyler.

You could also think of it this way too. Taking the job in Tyler could lead you to a better job opportunity back in Houston making more money in the future.

All signs point to go, unless you really don't want to move.

2. rudan

rudan Member

Take the job, houston is one big cluster of nothing. Tyler has a nice conservative small town vibe to it. Meanwhile, houston has no distinct culture to it. We just have suburbs and ghetto trash scattered around what was once a bayou.

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Parsons?

Is that you?

4. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

Thanks for all the advice guys. Unfortunately moving back in a couple years really isn't much of an option.

I am in sales, and with the way the pay is structured the amount of money I will be making is justified by the amount of accounts they will be giving me. (if x accounts generate x, then I will make x) so on one had its nice because my income is justified and that is job security. On the other hand if I were to leave where I was and and move back to Houston I would be starting over from scratch.

Truthfully what I would be starting out at in Tyler I could probably make in 3-5 years here in Houston, but with me starting out so high in Tyler I will be making that much more in 3-5 years.

I guess my question is am I immature to want to stay because of my good groups of friends and being close to my family?

From what I understand about marriage once you have kids all you really have time for is work and family anyway.

Obviously I would love the money, but I'm worried I would be miserable in Tyler, TX

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Oh... its one of those mlm gigs.

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

You have to take it. If it doesn't work out, move back.

7. xcamm1

xcamm1 Member

haha noooooo. I am in insurance

8. Mr. Clutch

It's not immature at all. In fact, it's pretty mature.

I'd say talk it out with the closest people to you. It's a lot of money to give up, but you're right there is way more to life than that.

Could you ask for a pay raise or more accounts at your current job?

9. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

Take the Money, always choose the Money, Money is the only thing that matters.

10. Rox11

Rox11 Member

[​IMG]

11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Take the money happiness and quality of life are highly overrated.

12. UtilityPlayer

UtilityPlayer Member

I wouldn't think twice if I got offered 150 K , Texas has an awesome cost of living. You could always see Rockets/Texans/Astros games on the weekend. Spent time in the East Texas natural beauty some weekends. Visit DFW , Shreveport etc ......

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Were you looking for another job, or did someone refer and offer it to you? I the former, do you know what motivated you to start looking and whether that particular circumstance could change in Houston? I imagine as a salesman you know what it's like to have dry spells, and the value of a favorable, closed, long-term deal as opposed to several prospects and suspects. I guess the one other thing to consider is whether or not the higher draw or upfront salary means higher pressure to perform and less job (as opposed to financial) security.

14. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Honestly, Tyler's not a bad place, and at your age your interests are about to completely change. Especially in a marriage with kids. You'll soon be enjoying different things and will probably be glad you moved to a slower paced city. Now that I'm older and married with kids, I'd love to move to a smaller city if I could make a decent living there in my field.

My mom lives in a small town about 20min north of Tyler and if the Rockets/Astros TV rights revert to how they were 2yrs ago, you'll be able to watch them there depending on the cable/sat company. I used to watch the Rockets when I visited my mom there.

Definitely give it a try, you may really enjoy the place in a few years.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Don't go chasing waterfalls.

16. Mr. Clutch

Actually I think once you have kids it really sucks to be away from family.

17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let me be your voice of reason. Do not make the move about money. Forget the money. Make the decision based on where you will be happiest. So many people chase the money and sacrifice the happiness. Think before you sacrifice the happiness.

18. joepu

joepu Member

If you're planning to have a family money's going to become a big factor. At 75k you will find it hard to save anything. Take the 150k, keep the same lifestye, max out your 401k, full contributions to roth ira, college plan for kids. Anything left over, stick it in an index fund. In 10 years you are looking at a $1 million portfolio. This vs still being trapped in the rat race.

19. bigbodymoe

bigbodymoe Contributing Member

Blue Cross?

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

None of us know you personally, so I don't think any of us can tell you if you should or shouldn't move. Your question about being immature because of your reasons to not take the money, is, as Mr. Clutch wrote, not immature at all.

That being said, if you are used to the big city and you like nightclubs, regularly attending pro or big college sports, and that sort of lifestyle, Tyler is not the place for you. While Tyler is a nice city, its infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired. Broadway is the main street and seems to always be congested, but living in Houston, you should be used to that. :)

You can finally buy beer and wine in Smith county, but I believe you need to go out of the county to buy hard liquor although you can purchase a drink at a restaurant.

You are only 3 hours from your friends and family in Houston, so it's not that great of a distance to see them.