1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need a damn good recipe for Chilli..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sane, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Everyone can eat what they want. They can create their own recipes.

But you can't take a recipe that exists, add something significant to it, and then still call it the same thing.

Just like you can't call a horse a bunny.

Just like I can't add beef to a veggi burger and still call it a veggie burger.

No one is telling you what to eat or what to do with your food. But you got to respect recipes, and the original recipe is no beans.

I think that's what FattyFatBastard is saying.

1 person likes this.
  2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Listen, I get it. I understand and agree with what you're saying and somewhat agree with what Fatty is saying. I guess in trying to prove my point, I undermined what I really wanted to get across. I'll simplify:

- I understand and somewhat agree that the word "chili" means one thing and one thing only.

- I understand why people would want the word "chili" qualified should they alter what makes it chili.

- I think that anyone that would pitch the kind of fit or spew the kind of vitriol that Mr. FatBastard and some other posters do over something so trivial is absolutely stupid.

Don't burn so many calories on something so meaningless. If some guy put beans in his chili and still calls it chili, the sun will still rise in the morning and fall in the evening and we'll all go on living our lives without caring.

3. droxford

droxford Member

I think the proper thing to call it is "Chili with beans" leaving the core definition of "chili" to infer a meal without beans.

example:

"fajitas" = beef fajitas
    "chicken fajitas" = chicken fajitas

"chili" = chili with no beans
    "chili with beans" = chili that has beans added to it

4. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

5. Prince

Prince Member

Chilli salad.

Are you man enough?

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Good to know that when people put walnuts in a brownie that it is no longer right to call it a brownie!

7. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The more revolting thing to me is that so many people are spelling it chilli.

8. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

CHILI IZ SERIOUS BIZNESS!

9. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Couldn't somebody say the same thing about you? I mean, we get it you don't think anybody should give a damn about what other people do to their food yet you keep coming in here and lambasting people for speaking out against this food type and the changes made to it. You're wasting time spewing vitriol over something others view as stupid and you view that view as stupid. Basically, you're doing the same thing you're complaining about, no?

10. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Just won a chili cook off with a modification of this. They were a bunch of Northerners who now know that chili doesn't have beans.

11. Buck Turgidson

"won", "cookoff", "bunch", "northerners".

RMTex is the man though, dude knows his stuff.

12. droxford

droxford Member

Thank you for educating them!