1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need a damn good recipe for Chilli..

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sane, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Success!

I tried the recipe Tex gave above with variations though so I could call it my own. Here it is:

Lil Pun's Chili Supreme :)

2.5 pounds of ground sirloin
    6 oz of hardwood smoked bacon
    2 medium, sweet, yellow onions chopped
    3 jalapeno peppers (fresh) sliced
    3 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
    2 12 oz. bottles/cans of beer (I used Budweiser)
    .5 cups of Louisiana hot sauce
    2.5 tablespoons of cumin
    2 teaspoons of coarse, black pepper

Start by frying up the bacon for about five minutes then add the sirloin (beef). After beef is brown add onions, hot sauce and black pepper. Fry for 5 more minutes. Add beer, tomatoes, jalapenos, and cumin and stir until everything is mixed. Heat until chili begins to boil after it boils lower the setting on your stove to the loswest position. Simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours. Serve with fried corn, crackers, tortilla chips, or by itself. YUM!

:)

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I'm about to make a pot of chili for the first time.

Going to play it by ear and add quantities until it just feels right, but the tentative recipe is:

ground beef
    small marinating steak cubed up
    crushed tomatos
    tomato paste
    beans (don't hate)
    diced onion
    diced green pepper
    corn
    chili spice
    Frank's hot sauce
    Tabasco green jalapeno sauce
    beer? maybe... haven't decided yet

Wish me luck!

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Good luck!

(Ain't search fun - I read through the first couple of post and then realized I'd read this thread before.)

4. Fatty FatBastard

Screw the uber-stupid Manny Posts. This is a song we should all know.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/th370QmFtk8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/th370QmFtk8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

5. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Meh, I like the texture combination of the tender meat and soft beans. Putting tomatoes or tomato paste in chili is the real offense in my opinion.

For my recipe I usually brown the beef in bacon grease and then bring to boil in chicken broth. The chicken broth is supposed to carry an enzyme that helps to tenderize the meat.

#65 DCkid, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I will try the Rocketman Tex recipe out today, I think. I have my own chili recipe that I tend to just throw together from time to time, but it would not be considered Texan. As a Texan, I almost feel ashamed after reading the two chili threads, and I need to do up the Texan style chili.

Also, I know saltines are what we all eat in our chili. That is how I grew up doing it. I have grown accustomed to eating Tortilla Chips with my chili in recent years, though. I much prefer their crunch. I don't know a ton about chili's history, but one could argue it's the more authentic way, as trail riders would have theoretically had tortillas to fry before they had saltines...or am I totally off base here?

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i usd short ribs for my chili. a quick dry rub, brown ribs in bacon fat and remove. melt onions, garlic, fresh serranos, and dried chiles into pot . when veg is translucent add toasted cumin and coriander seeds. deglaze with beer when mixture is becoming dry. fresh coriander stems are next. the stems carry tremendous flavor and will cook down during the process. add the short ribs back to the party and put enough beer or beef stock to almost cover all the mixture. bring to boil, then reduce to simmer for 3-4 hours until ribs are falling off the bones. finish with fresh cilantro and thinly sliced chiles.

8. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Interesting. Will try, thanks.

1 person likes this.
  9. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Seriously folks - and Fatty, I quoted you because you're the most obnoxious about it - if someone wants to put beans in their chili, shut the f--- up and let them do it without harassment. Nobody is making YOU eat it, are they?

They call ground salmon patties "Salmon Burgers" even though they taste nothing like a burger, usually have some sort of tartar sauce on them, and obviously contain no beef. Some people find them delicious and refer to them as "burgers." WHO THE F--- CARES?!?!?

By the way folks, cowboys didn't brush their teeth or shower. Many of them whored, gambled, murdered, robbed, and were generally considered "rough" people. I don't discount their contribution to our state or country's history, but my point is, we humans evolve. Just because a toothless, uneducated yokel cooking out of the back of a wagon did something one way a hundred years ago, doesn't mean we have to do it that way now... or we're less "Texan" or a *GASP* "yankee" if we do. Grow up...

As Dave Chappelle said, "Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled." :cool:

1 person likes this.
  10. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

one of the best Good Eats episodes ever, I haven't tried the recipe yet

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eIR0OUjfCCc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eIR0OUjfCCc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3hOxXaRns5w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3hOxXaRns5w?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

11. Lil Pun

He didn't use beans, did he?

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I am eating Rocketman Tex's recipe right now. Pretty good stuff. It's a completely different take on chili than what I'm used to (I'm used to the tomatoes, and sometimes beans), but all in all, it has great depth of flavor, and the salt pork is excellent contrast to the beef. I didn't use beer, though, as I don't drink, and didn't want to buy a twelve pack just to use one can.

Word of advice:

I only used two jalapenos. In the future, I would use three.

There's something satisfying about the rendered pork fat/water/spice mixture in the bottom of my bowl...

13. Lil Pun

I'm the same way when making this as I do not drink but it usually isn't very hard to find a friend or family member that does and getting 2-3 brews from them. :)

14. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

hell no

15. Fatty FatBastard

You pee sitting down, don't you?

16. eric.81

Yes, of course Fatty Fat b*stard... I pee sitting down. :rolleyes:

It's actually the result of a medical condition. When I'm exposed to full-of-sh** blowhards that make mountain ranges out of molehills, it makes my legs shaky and I literally can no longer stand. Apparently, I'm allergic to a**holes.

17. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have always eaten chili with rice but maybe that is because I am Asian.

19. Fatty FatBastard

The problem is you validated my point without even realizing it.

Salmon burgers aren't called burgers, are they? No, burgers are made with ground beef.

When you talk about fajitas you are talking about beef. If you make chicken fajitas you call them chicken fajitas.

If you make bean soup, you should call it bean soup.

20. eric.81

How about this? How about we all eat whatever we want, and call it whatever we want, and people like you get a solid pair of forceps and remove whatever blunt instrument is deep within your "cavity."

Come on Fatty... live and let live brother. We all have to share this big blue marble. Let's not criticize how each and every one of us chose to fill our cast iron dutch oven. BECAUSE IT'S NOT CHILI UNLESS IT'S COOKED IN A CAST IRON DUTCH OVEN!! ;)