1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tourney

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mleahy999, Mar 12, 2006.

1. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

They've been doing it for the past few weeks. The Gonzaga game was an aberration.

They absolutely ROLLED through the Pac-10 tourney. After UW and Zona's strong showing in the NCAA tourney, UCLA's dominance of the Pac-10 tourney can't be written off as a good team in a weak conference.

IIRC, they also closed out the Pac 10 regular season with some convincing wins. Their win streak stands at 12 in a row right now, and, for anyone who's been paying attention to West Coast basketball since February, this isn't that huge of a surprise. I had them losing to Texas in my Final Four.

2. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

oh man i cant wait for monday night. as soon as the game ended here last night we went out and everyone was screaming and setting off fireworks and over 1/2 the students arent even here yet (i think) cuz spring break ends today. monday night is going to be freaking awesome.

ucla never got respect because quite honestly they arent the pretty team, they grind the get in your face they are quite happy to score 30 points in a game because they'll hold you to 26. that doesnt make good media, florida,lsu has flamboyant stars and gmu was a cinderella. i am sure the folks at cbs would have loved gmu to win it first and then lsu. ucla would be the last on their list. its going to be a good game on monday and i think, nay i know my bruins are up to the challenge.

if any of the bbsers here live in westwood, email me i am gonna have the game at my apt on midvale.
    shrirambhat@gmail.com

3. tinypure

tinypure Contributing Member

lsu game tells us big men can't win it all. They live on guards.

The lsu tigers is the rockets in NCAA!

Big guy lives on officials and guards.

If guards can't shoot, that's fine for regular season. But if guards cant' even dribble and pass and can't get the ball to big guy, the team dies without any hope!

4. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

so indifferent to both these teams. same with LSU. GMU is local and the underdog, so i woulda cared if they were in it. as it stands, this is gonna be such a boring championship. If the 2 schools didn't have such large fan bases, this would be the lowest rated championship ever.

this may be the first championship i skip out on in a lonnnnng time

5. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

o wow, UCLA won again. UCLA is as durable as the phenoix suns. in the championship match, we will see how the bruins run noah

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

UCLA is anything but Phoenix-like. Howland normally runs a slow half-court offense and emphasizes defense. He's much closer to Van Gundy than D'Antoni.

They ran against LSU because it was obvious that LSU couldnt keep up but they will probably do what they did to Memphis against Florida and just slow the game down and play Van Gundy ball.

7. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

Well, I'm a Florida alum so obviously I'm biased but Florida is not going to roll over and die like LSU did on Saturday night.

Anyone watching that game knew UCLA was going to win within the first 5 minutes.

Big Baby and LSU were way too over confident coming into that game since everyone was picking them to win. They looked shocked that UCLA just throttled them in the first minutes of that game and never adjusted.

I'm not saying the Gators will win for sure but they play intense all 40 minutes and all 5 of the starters score in double figures.

8. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

I agree.

As a Cal fan, I slightly hope UCLA wins to boost the Pac-10, but I just love the way this UF team plays. They're not going to back down at all.

I don't know why people are tuning out of this championship game. The way these two teams play hard, I think it could be a classic. Maybe not an 80s dunkfest, but a classic hard fought game between two tough teams.

9. fa7999

fa7999 Member

UCLA right now is quite a JVG team than the Houston Rockets is.

10. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Before you get all high and mighty remember you are agreeing with me as well. For once you got something right ;)

I still think Florida over UCLA. Both teams will find stretches where points are hard to come by in the face of excellent inside and perimeter defense, but Florida has more offensive options and better perimeter shooting. If it comes to a FT contest Florida has the edge there too.

11. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

why do they keep saying the record for blocks in a championship game is 4? didn't hakeem have either 7 or 8 against nc state? it seems like his last two games of that tournament, one game he had 7, the other 8, so whichever was the title game should be the record (or at least make 4 not the record).

12. fa7999

fa7999 Member

This is the worst NCAA title game I have ever watched since the 92 title game when Duke beat the **** out of the Fab 5.

UCLA will definitely make JVG proud. Tough, hard defense, but have absolutely no clue on how to put the ball in the basket.

It will be a great game between this UCLA team and the houston Rockets team minus Yao and TMac.

The Rockets will take it by 44-42.

13. fa7999

fa7999 Member

Florida is having a dunk feast and Noah is dunking his way to a top 3 pick.

14. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I'm just glad UCLA didn't win it. Any of the other 3 was fine. I'm happy for the Gators.

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

who else had to open up a can of care on this game?

i love the tourney...but it was a baseball night for me.

16. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I sure wouldn't mind drafting Horford. I've kept an eye on him and I like his athleticism, quickness, and they say he has good basketball IQ.

We need wing players, but this guy could be our PF of the future. Draft him, trade swift for whatever you can get, and have him backup Howard for a year.

17. Outlier

Outlier Member

I'm much interested in Corey Brewer... I wonder if he is declaring this year. I would rate him above Carney right now.

18. krocket

krocket Contributing Member

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing during the game. " How many of the Top 3 will pass up Joakim Noah, and for WHO ". He would sure look good playing next to Yao.

19. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

UCLA just choked.

20. Gatorfan76

Gatorfan76 Contributing Member

On the local news here earlier they were interviewing Udonis Haslem and Shaq . Shaq told the reporter "Florida is going to beat UCLA like a farm mule." :D