1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tourney

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by mleahy999, Mar 12, 2006.

1. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

There is no reason to dump on George Mason. UConn was George Mason 15 years ago. They did nothing until Calhoun convinced city kids to come to the cow pastuer of Storrs, CT. They play their basketball and football games 30 minutes away from campus. I'm happy for George Mason. It keeps the dream alive for every school not named Duke, UNC, UConn, etc.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Well I agree with you on where UConn was 15 years ago, but just because George Mason is this small school that has had a great run doesn't mean they are immune to people not liking them. Some people get tired of always hearing about underdogs; it's called different strokes for different folks. But I am still not going to root for Florida OR George Mason. :D :p

3. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

I'll be rooting for George Mason to win it all.

However, "Cinderella" just doesn't exist anymore. With all the early NBA entrants from the big schools, small schools like GMU have every chance to beat the big schools who usually start at least 2 freshman.

This doesn't take away from GMU but it just shows the era of parity in college basketball has finally arrived.

4. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I'll rout for Mason, but I think Florida has too much big mo. Florida has the inside outside combination Uconn should have had. Uconn really hasn't played well over the last couple of weeks, they have played less than the sum of their parts.

I think UCLA will win too next game. Too many people are getting carried away with LSU, the truth is they came out on the positive side of three toss up games. They are good, you have to be to beat Duke and Texas in two strait, but they are not dominant. At some point LSU's lack of outside shooting and poor FTs will catch up to them. UCLA is balanced and a great defensive team--but better coached than Texas (or at least much better floor leaders, Texas had low BB smarts), they will take LSU out IMO.

I'll be routing for LSU and GM, but I think Florida over UCLA in the finals. One bracket I had Florida, UCLA, Texas and UConn, the other I had Florida, Kansas, Texas and UConn (Uconn winning it all in both)--so I don't feel too bad, 1.5 out of the final 4 in a year with no #1 seeds. Crazy.

5. Major

Major Member

In describing LSU, you basically described UCLA. They squeaked by both Alabama and Gonzaga, and have won their last 3 NCAA games by a combined 10 points, needing a miracle to beat Gonzaga. Their free throw shooting has been terrible - 2 of the 4 games, they've shot under 50%, another was 55%. LSU has been playing some great defense in the tourney as well, and UCLA seriously struggled from the guard positions in the Memphis game.

6. Desert Scar

You are mostly correct, though IMO UCLA controlled Memphis moreso than LSU controlled either Duke or Texas.

But IMO Farmar and Affalo together are considerably better than LSU's counterparts and UCLA is significantly better on the perimeter (3 regulars with a decent 3 point % versus just Darrel Mitchell for LSU). I think UCLA will pack in the middle while keeping Darrel Mitchell covered, and LSU won't have any place to turn for points. LSU will give UCLA similar problems, but UCLA will hit a couple more 3s IMO to break the droughts. For LSU to win, Big Baby and Thomas must not just win their match-ups, but dominate the interior on both ends. That, or Temple or Tasmin Mitchell will have to make some 3s. I predict this is too much on their bigs against an excellent UCLA interior and Temple/Pasmin won't knock down enough shots.

I'll rout for LSU, but I'd have my money on UCLA. But I wouldn't put my retirement on it, because LSU is entirely capable of beating them if one of those above things happen. First team to 40 wins.

7. Major

Major Member

I can see this - I agree UCLA is probably stronger on the outside. But LSU's inside game dominated both UT and Duke's star-studded front lines. I suspect they will have free reign over UCLA's. The question is whether UCLA's outside game can counter that - ours and Duke's couldn't (ours because our shooters are mediocre in general, Duke because JJ Redick stank), but who knows with UCLA.

8. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

This could work both ways, but I think UCLA could have problems scoring against LSU. On the other hand, UCLA is better coached, IMO. I'll hold off a prediction until later.

Florida has to be the favorite against GMU. Looking at the players and matchups, it's a no brainer. But any team that can beat who GMU beat and come back with authority to defeat UConn in a pressure game has to be taken very seriously.

9. Desert Scar

I think Texas and UCLA have some similarities. UCLA like Texas is OK from the perimeter (better than LSU), but neither a great. But I think Farmar (true point guard/leader) is the difference between UCLA and Texas. Had Texas had a more capable floor general they would have had a easier time with Penn and WV, and would have beaten Kan (Big 12 champ) as well as LSU. In short think UCLA's guards will keep them organized and patient in ways Texas isn't. Texas had the match-ups to get some offense against LSU (or against anyone really), and I think Texas in the 1st half was on the verge of getting up on LSU, but Texas never was consistently organized enough. Part of it was LSU knocking Aldrige and Tucker off their game, but part was Texas not going back to those two in the right position (Alridge would get too far away or bad angles and force it). Nobody seemed to take charge for Texas at all and get them to play smart.

Duke is different because I don't think they are near as athletic as Tex, UCLA, Mem, LSU, etc. Duke was going to face problems with any of those teams.

10. Desert Scar

I think they are the fav period. They handled LSU pretty well both times and handled the great guards of Nova. They have the best outside game left to go along with horses on the inside.

But the great thing is even GMU has a chance at a NT. You know they have one major advantage over all teams left, lots of experience. The other 3 teams are filled with fresh or sophmore in their starting line-up. It would be on heck of a story.

11. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Nice game for FLA. George Mason couldn't make their threes. Great run though to beat MSU, UNC and UConn. That might not ever happen again for George Mason.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

George Mason showed a lot of heart.They have every reason to be proud of themselves. Florida showed a lot of poise in the game which was very impressive. This was the first time I saw Noah play. He is pretty athletic,hard working,looks like a clever player despite his somewhat raw game.I think he could become a good NBA player after 2-3 years. I wish we could pair him up with Yao but I think he will be out of our reach if he comes out unless we are lucky to get a high pick.

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Except one game, Tyrus Thomas only played 15 minutes due to foul trouble, and the second game he didn't play at all. If and when Thomas plays 30 minutes, LSU's an entirely different team. Entirely different. He's their most valuable player.

14. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

Big Baby looks to be really out of shape. Him and Thomas are really struggling against the quicker, smaller UCLA players. They should be dominating inside but it looks like that's not the case. T. Thomas reminds of Stromile Swift, maybe a better version of him, but I don't know if he has the strength to be a force in the NBA. Big Baby really needs to work on his conditioning because if he doesn't, he'll get schooled by the likes of KG and Tim Duncan when he gets to the NBA.

15. The Cat

Damn you Gonzaga.

I cheer against them all year, finally rewarded by watching their meltdown vs. UCLA... only to realize a week later that the Zags' choke against UCLA is going to keep LSU from making the championship game. :(

Props to UCLA, they've played an amazing game... that's the best I've seen any college team play in some time. Outstanding.

16. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Gawd, I just PWN3D the POOP out of you, brah.

BWWWWAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

17. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

Like I said in the thread about who's going to win the championship, UCLA's been playing as well as anyone in the country since the end of the regular season (narrow escape against Gonzaga notwithstanding).

Everyone always ignores the West Coast teams, but they can play out there. ;)

18. The Cat

Yup. Nice prediction.

That said, this is a completely different UCLA team from the one that played last Saturday and for the first 37 minutes against Gonzaga... where in the world did these guys come from?

Hope they keep it up against Florida.

19. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

I wonder if any of those dumb NBA draft websites still have Tyrus Thomas as the overall #1 pick. A few weeks after the championship game sane minds will prevail and the draft analyses out there will start meaning something again. Those websites are totally worthless during the NCAA tournament.

20. Rizzy

Rizzy Member

Thank you UCLA.

Thank you so much!