1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tourney Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Fatty FatBastard, Mar 11, 2007.

1. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Great bunch of games this past weekend...I can't wait for more this thursday...THe San Antonio games look tight...

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TAMU vs Memphis. Its 5am. I cant sleep. Too nervous...

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Can't wait for the game tonight. Hopefully the Ags will ride into the Elite Eight, but it is going to be tough.

I'm really concerned about the offensive rebounding from Memphis because they are so athletic and their center is a beast on the offensive boards.

This game is all going to be on JJ, AK, and Marlon being aggressive and not allowing too many offensive rebounding. Memphis does not shoot well enough to beat A&M, but if they get a bunch of put backs, then they don't need to shoot well.

Should be a great game. Wish I was still in TX so I could go watch it.

4. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Memphis is a really interesting team, and this is an interesting matchup. Memphis has more athleticism than anyone in the tournament, and if they can run A&M, they'll run them out of the building. Memphis will outrebound A&M and maybe by a lot. Both teams press relentlessly, but for two different reasons. A&M does it to make bringing the ball up difficult and set tone. Memphis does it to force turnovers and get easy opportunities. Anywhere else, Memphis would be a prohibitive favorite, IMO. But in San Antonio, the 12th Man should be out in force. Texas A&M has a puncher's chance.

5. Major

Major Member

Memphis' leading scoring is questionable / doubtful for today's game apparently (as of yesterday, at least).

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

I completely disagree with this. On a neutral court I think this is a pick 'em. And Vegas agrees because they usually give about 3 points for a home court advantage. Yes Memphis is very athletic, but if you look at their stats, there is no way they would be a prohibitive favorite.

Memphis Shoots 46% from the field, shoots 35% from 3 pt range, and shoots only 61% from the line. It's not like they were going up against premeire defenses either.

A&M Shoots 50% from the field, shoots 42% from 3 pt range, and shoots 72% from the line

They may have more athleticism, but they are not a good shooting team at all. I think the athleticism/rebouding make up for a lack of shooting, but no way they would be a prohibitive favorite. To me they have the athleticism of Kansas, but don't have near the shooting capabilities of Kansas.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I say run zone and force Memphis to beat you shooting. However that puts the defense out of position for offensive boards. As big and quick as Memphis is maybe its a risk worth taking. They'll board us up either way. AK fades against talent, he never steps up, hes gonna piss me off tonight.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Go Ags and Tennessee!!

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Tubby gone? Bye bye Gilespie :(

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Yep, he should be doing a press conference either tonight or tomorrow. I don't blame him. And I will bet you will see Randolph in the draft now.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

rephrase... lol cause he already went through the draft... see him signing as a free agent now.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

GREAT GAME so far.

13. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

"Send it in, Uncle Joe!"

14. MadMax

that guy is killing me

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

bill raftery is awesome.

memphis is terrible. they're athletic and can handle the ball and usually can shoot, but they've thrown about a million points away so far. they're so sloppy, blow defensive assignments left and right (like letting law break a backcourt press by simply going down the sideline, or letting sloan turn the corner off picks for no reason), and have missed wide open 3's all game long (somehow if they were playing UT they'd be about 8 for 11 with the shots a&m is giving up). conference USA must just be disastrously bad for not one team to have risen up and beaten memphis with how sloppy and inconsistent they are.

16. MadMax

are you kidding? i'm impressed with both of these teams.

17. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

lol. I think he just growled, "a little yolk on the brow!" It was after the guy missed the dunk. :D

18. Buck Turgidson

Both of these games are great.

19. Buck Turgidson

[on Law's jumpshot]

The knuckleball! Get a bigger mitt!

Love that guy.

20. Buck Turgidson

Wow. Saluki goes from hero (off board) to goat (braincramp, turnover) in about 2 seconds.