1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Tourney Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Fatty FatBastard, Mar 11, 2007.

1. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Ah hell!!!!! My Longhorns have UNC in thier bracket. Oh well!!!

A&M has a nice and easy little path to the elite 8.... Provided they don't choke.

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

That possible 2nd round game against Louisville in Kentucky is not going to be easy IMO.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

UNC had the worst record of any #1 seed, with losses in its last 12 games to mediocre teams such as Georgia Tech, N.C. State, Maryland and Virginia Tech. They don't consistently play defense and had five losses in the mediocre ACC. That's not to say they can't make it out of this bracket, but Texas has about as quality of a scenario as you can ask for. The 3 and 5 seeds are incredibly weak.

4. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

Brackets:

St. Louis

Sweet Sixteen
    Florida v. Maryland
    Oregon v. Wisconsin

Elite 8
    Florida v. Oregon

Winner: Florida

San Jose

Sweet Sixteen
    Kansas v. Virginia Tech
    UCLA v. Duke

Elite 8
    Kansas v. UCLA

Winner: Kansas

East Rutherford

Sweet Sixteen
    UNC v. Texas
    Georgetown v. Washington St.

Elite 8
    UNC v. Georgetown

Winner: UNC

San Antonio

Sweet Sixteen
    Ohio State v. Tennessee
    Texas A&M v. Memphis

Elite 8
    Texas A&M v. Ohio State

Winner: Texas A&M

Even though the Pac-10 sucks, with these brackets I expect both UCLA and Oregon to be Elite 8 bound. Both the Big 12 and Big 10 are somewhat derisively described as "top heavy" with respect to Ohio St./Wisconsin and Kansas/A&M, and I think the latter conference's relative strength will be exposed in this tournament. The SEC and ACC are still the best conferences top to bottom, and if any of the teams end up having a so-called "easy" path (no close games) to the Final Four, it will be either Florida or UNC.

I don't see any George Masons in this year's field.

5. Major

Major Member

I think the idea behind the George Masons in the field is that no one sees them. :)

Most people didn't even think they should have been in the tourney in the first place last year.

6. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

North Texas is this year's George Mason. Book it.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i would have to disagree that the pac-10 is probably the toughest conference in the nation 1-10. ucla being consistently in the top 10, most of the time in the top 5, and then oregon,wash st, usc, stanford,arizona being in and out of the top 25 the entire and this isnt including washington who was ranked in the top 15 preseason (i think possibly top 10). this isnt the pac-10 of the beginning of the 2000s where stanford and arizona were the only teams of note. pac-10 gets hardly any coverage in the media because of the east-coast bias.

that being said i am quite happy, actually estatic about being #2 out in the west. after losing the last two games I could have sworn we would have being shipped out of california. thats really all i wanted a high seed in sacramento, i think even if ucla won the pac-10 and got the #1 in the west if it meant leaving california i prefer the #2 seed for home-court advantages.

i think it'll be ucla, unc, wisconsin and a&m in the final 4

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

How many of yall are on facebook? Maybe we could get one their brackets going for Clutchfans? If you arent familiar with the Facebook bracket I suggest you check em out. Pretty nifty setup.

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've got the Hogs as one of my 1st round upset specials. USC might have been the most overrated team all year.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

My Final 4:

Oregon

Pitt

TX

Memphis

Memphis over Pitt in the Final.

11. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Don't we have an entire forum for this topic?

And didn't Clutch mention something about merging the NBA forum and the college/intl basketball forum. Guess he decided against it, though considering traffic levels for both forums, I think it would make sense.

12. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

13. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Winthrop and VCU are both really good teams. They both drew easy matchups in the first round. (It really seems wierd to think of Duke as a weak 6th seed.)

Even so, my Final Four includes neither:

Florida, UCLA, Texas, Memphis - Florida over Texas to repeat as National Champs.

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Almost identical to mine. I have Florida, UCLA, Texas, and A&M, also with Florida over Texas to repeat. I also have Winthrop winning at least two games and maybe three (still debating that) and VCU winning in round one.

15. MadMax

wow...Longhorns vs. Aggies in the Final Four!!! that would be amazing.

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Max...exactly when did you decide to start smoking crack for breakfast? ;)

The way the brackets are set up this year, I see much less of a chance for a #5-7 to make a Cinderella run. I've got 3 of the 4 #1's getting to the Final Four this year (FLA, Kansas and Ohio State). I've got Georgetown going from the East.

17. deepellumrocket

As Jub-Jub would say:

DO YOU BELIEVE IN THE MEAN GREEN??!!

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I've pegged the Longhorns to go down before the Elite 8, and had them pegged for that fate well before the brackets were revealed. One man team that kept losing big games? Not who I'm going to ride. Durant's insane, but they're the NCAA version of the Cleveland Cavs.

Evan

19. MadMax

I don't have any 5-7 teams in my final four.

I saw Oregon play UCLA this year, and thought they were good then...now I think they're playing their best basketball. I think Florida is very beatable.

Pitt is a 2 seed. A solid 2 seed. I have them beating Kansas, though I went back and forth on that one.

Texas will beat UNC. Watching the 2 teams play, I think Texas is playing better ball than UNC, right now. Beating G-Town is what concerns me. But if TX is playing well enough to have advanced that far, I think they'll be on fire.

I have Tenn upsetting OH St. I think Memphis is the best team in that bracket, and IMHO, i'm not sure it's close. They are solid and very well balanced.

I know that there aren't as many mid-major teams that excite people. But I'm not particularly excited about the 1 seeds, either. I think Kansas is the best of the 1 seeds, and I still have them getting beat by Pitt.

We'll see.

20. MadMax

I disagree. This isn't a one-man team, despite the fact one-man teams have done pretty damn well in the Tourney. (Danny Manning; Carmello Anthony come to mind).

I was a UT doubter most of the year. But the game they played in Lawrence, KS showed me how good this team really is. And they showed it again vs. KS in the Big XII tourney. They are a quality, quality team. I could definitely see them losing to either UNC or G-Town. But I think they'll beat UNC...and then the G-Town game will be a crap shoot.