1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NCAA Hoops Gazette

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by i3artow i3aller, Dec 8, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Another significant transfer

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

"apples"?

Apples suck, sorry.

3. i3artow i3aller

4. i3artow i3aller

Hoop Summit is starting on NBA TV at 9 PM CT.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

A bunch of big schools pouncing now

6. i3artow i3aller

7. i3artow i3aller

8. i3artow i3aller

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Could be looking at the #1 and #2 picks in about 3 or so years.

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The hype wagon is rolling! :D

#50 Dr of Dunk, Jul 7, 2023
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2023
  11. i3artow i3aller

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Lord, that 2026 draft is gonna be all kindsa crazy... more "generational" talents! :D I may have to switch allegiance from Cam to Cooper.

BaselineFade and i3artow i3aller like this.
  13. i3artow i3aller

14. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Not even that hard, those that have talent and are not overly hyped.

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

NBA seems to have moved on a bit from pre-hyping Wemby to pre-hyping Cooper Flagg to keep the coffers filled. Flagg was at the Rucker making believers out of people by sending this game into OT on a last-second 3 :

BaselineFade and i3artow i3aller like this.
  17. i3artow i3aller

18. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't want to over react when I first watched this kid. But after watching him all summer I may be ready to go out on a limb and say that he's one of the 3 best 16 year prospects that I've ever seen. He deserves every bit of hype that he's receiving. I can't find a weakness in his game. He looked dominate at time times in some of those pro runs this summer including when he played heads up vs Jabari. And he's still growing (potentially).

I'm sure that we will hear this a lot. But I'm on board with calling him the best American born white player since Bird. A true generational prospect.

19. i3artow i3aller

[​IMG]

1. Cooper Flagg (12 first-place votes)

This was a landslide victory for Flagg, who garnered a majority of the first-place votes and didn't finish below second on any of the other ballots. While much of this can be attributed to recency bias, it's hard to ignore what he did over the past two weeks.
    Flagg has been a social media sensation for some time, but his exploits last week at the Peach Jam took his reputation to an entirely new level. He put up video game numbers seemingly every day, notching seven double-doubles and three triple-doubles in seven games. Included were two all-time performances: 38 points, 16 rebounds, 6 assists and 12 blocks against Pro Skills; and 37 points, 12 rebounds, 6 assists and 10 blocks against New Heights Lightning in the playoffs. All this came after he was named MVP at the prestigious National Basketball Players Association Top 100 Camp in Orlando, Florida, in late June.
    "Flagg is just different," an NBA scout said. "He has the mental makeup. Silent killer, assassin. He's consistent with his mindset, motor and production. If he doesn't develop an ounce of his offensive package from this day forward, he's still potentially in the running for a defensive player of the year at the NBA level. Just the progressions that he's shown with the live ball playmaking, shot-creating off the bounce, instinctive reads and plays on both ends and then how he carries himself. Not like the other two are not, but he has a chance to be a transformational basketball player in the sport as a whole."
    "Flagg is the most complete player," one college coach said. "He does it on both ends of the floor. Excellent passer. Basically can play 1 through 4 on both ends of the floor. He plays hard, never takes any plays off. His biggest weakness right now is his perimeter shooting -- which is still pretty good."

Flagg finished the Peach Jam with averages of 25.4 points (third in the 16U division), 13.0 rebounds (second), 5.7 assists (second) and 6.9 blocks (second) per game, while his spring and summer numbers were 26.9 PPG (second), 11.9 RPG (second), 4.7 APG (tied for seventh) and 4.5 BPG (first).
    "Cooper impacts the game in more ways than the other two," another NBA scout said. "He's both a ceiling and floor raiser. He's easily the most impactful defensive prospect of the three."

"Flagg is the more dynamic defender and passer of the three," a college coach added. "He impacts winning in more ways than those other two right now."

The 6-foot-8 forward from Maine plays his high school ball at Florida's Montverde Academy. He plays two completely different styles on the grassroots and high school circuit. With Maine United, he is the focal point of everything his team does. Flagg is on the court every minute: He brings the ball up, creates offense for his teammates, gets his own shot on a majority of possessions and attempts to block every shot.

When he is with Montverde, he is part of a far more talented group (there were four other five-star prospects on the team last season), and his numbers aren't nearly as otherworldly. In 25 games for Monteverde, Flagg averaged fewer than 18 minutes per game, totaling 9.8 PPG, 5.2 RPG, 3.0 APG and 2.2 BPG.

"Flagg is No. 1 because of his defense and his swag," a college coach said. "He's such a polished player with very few holes in his game, and he knows it."

"Cooper Flagg is what a modern-day wing looks like in the NBA," another coach added. "Long, athletic, versatile and can dribble, pass and shoot. I think the intensity and competitiveness he plays with will translate really smooth to the next level."

2. A.J. Dybantsa (seven first-place votes)

What had been a two-man "Boozer or Flagg?" debate for much of the past year was turned into a three-man affair with Dybantsa's scoring exploits on the Nike EYBL circuit in the spring and summer then his eye-opening offensive performances on the biggest stage at the Peach Jam. Dybantsa earned a sizable share of first-place votes, and he was lower than second on just four of the other ballots.

Despite playing up two age groups (really just one, because he turned 16 in January; but two grade levels) with the Expressions program, Dybantsa led the Peach Jam in scoring -- by some distance. He averaged 25.8 PPG in five games in North Augusta, including 32 points against Paul George Elite and 31 points against Boo Williams. He got to the free throw line nearly 10 times per game, highlighted by 17 attempts in the game against Boo Williams.

"Dybantsa is more in the mold of what the elite NBA players typically look like," one coach said. "Versatile guards in that 6-foot-6 [to] 6-foot-8 range that you build your franchise around. Kobe [Bryant], [Tracy] McGrady, [Grant] Hill, [Jayson] Tatum, Kawhi [Leonard], Paul George. He has the potential to be in that mold."

That's one thing that kept coming up in conversations with scouts and coaches: how Dybantsa's status as a 6-foot-8 wing scorer is more in line with what we traditionally see from high-level stars at the NBA level. Interestingly, one college coach noted the exact opposite, pointing to do-everything frontcourt players like Giannis Antetokounmpo, Nikola Jokic and Joel Embiid as recent MVPs.

"Ten years ago, he would be No. 1 on this. His size and length. He has switchability on defense," the coach said of Dybantsa. "It's just the way the game is trending: positionless. The other two you can do so many creative things with."

The other plus in Dybantsa's column? He did it at the 17U level.

"I can't recall a sophomore averaging 26 a game and leading the 17U Peach Jam in scoring," a veteran head coach said.

"A.J. is what the NBA is right now," a coach said. "Flagg wouldn't have led 17U in scoring. A.J. is going to get physically stronger too."

"Dybantsa is just the most complete," another one added. "Scores at all three levels. Super athletic. He's the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft whenever he goes."

Dybantsa, like Boozer, started all six games at the FIBA U16 Americas Championship, where he averaged 13.7 PPG, 3.7 RPG and 3.8 APG while shooting 69.4% inside the arc. He also blew away the competition in scoring at the NBPA Top 100 Camp, averaging 28.3 PPG in six games in Orlando, shooting 70.5% on 2s and 30.8% from behind the arc.

"Dybantsa is obviously very talented," a college coach said. "He just needs to continue to work on his perimeter shooting, which will come with time. Knowing which shots to take and which ones to pass up. I was extremely impressed with his talking ability. He communicates on both ends of the floor at a high level."

Next, the Brockton, Massachusetts, native will head out to California to attend and play for Prolific Prep this school year.

BaselineFade likes this.
  20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

When did he play Jabari? I missed that. I know Dybantsa played Jabari. He's another 2-way monster.

I was a Cam Boozer guy, but I think his hype has been pushed down a peg by Cooper. It used to be Cam was the dude, and Cooper was right behind, but now it's all Cooper. lol. They're both solid, but some of these numbers Flagg puts up nowadays is just nuts.

It'll be fun to watch them grow and see if they are the real deal, but let's face it - Montrezl Harrell was a beast in high school and Austin Rivers' highlight reel was flat-out silly, and while they had solid NBA careers, no one's going to be discussing them with the likes of Wilt and MJ nowadays. NBA is already hyping up Flagg, though, so he's apparently they're next "chosen one" or "the greatest prospect since Victor Wembanyama!". lol.

BaselineFade likes this.