1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NC Lawmakers Push Bill to Allow for State Religion

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Apr 3, 2013.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Supremacy clause NC?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...bill-for-state-religion?lite&ocid=msnhp&pos=6

First Amendment doesn't apply here: N.C. lawmakers push bill for state religion

Republican lawmakers in North Carolina have introduced a bill declaring that the state has the power to establish an official religion — a direct challenge to the First Amendment.

One professor of politics called the measure “the verge of being neo-secessionist,” and another said it was reminiscent of how Southern states objected to the Supreme Court’s 1954 integration of public schools.

The bill says that federal courts do not have the power to decide what is constitutional, and says the state does not recognize federal court rulings that prohibit North Carolina and its schools from favoring a religion.

The bill was introduced Monday by two Republican representatives from Rowan County, north of Charlotte, and sponsored by seven other Republicans. The party controls both chambers of the North Carolina Legislature.

The two lawmakers who filed the bill, state Reps. Harry Warren and Carl Ford, did not immediately return calls Wednesday from NBC News.

The American Civil Liberties Union sued last month to stop the Rowan County Commission from opening meetings with Christian prayers. One of those prayers declared that “there is only one way to salvation, and that is Jesus Christ,” the ACLU said.

The bill does not specify a religion.

The North Carolina ACLU chapter said in a statement Tuesday that the sponsors of the bill “fundamentally misunderstand constitutional law and the principle of the separation of powers that dates back to the founding of this country.”

North Carolina scholars also cast doubt on the bill.

“It has elements of not being American,” Gary Freeze, a professor of politics and history at Catawba College, told The Salisbury Post. “I think it goes far beyond religion and frankly doesn’t have a lot to do with North Carolina or tradition.”

Another professor at the college, Michael Bitzer, told the newspaper that the bill is based on discredited legal theory that the states can declare themselves exempt from federal law.

“We saw this in the aftermath of Brown v. Board of Education,” he said, referencing the integration ruling. “The belief is that the states hold more power than the federal government. If the federal government does something, the states can simply ignore it.”

2. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hey look -- it's the Tarheeliban! Baby blue burkas.

#3 B-Bob, Apr 3, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I don't agree, but you better accept the fact that if any group keeps pushing, other groups will push back by any means. You can't keep busting on something without backlash. And if you thought the 60s was a revolution...

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

That Constitution thingy is a real inconvenience.

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Purple state, changing demographics. Smart move Republicans!

7. droopy421

droopy421 Member

After visiting AL once I can say Alabama football is a religion.

8. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

So...asking Christians to not use schools and other state institutions to force their religion down everyone's throat is "busting on" them? :confused:

This bill is so ridiculous, I'm really shocked it's gotten as far as it has. If I was a reisdent of NC, I'd be furious that my state legislature is wasting time and money with crap like this when there are real issues that need to be addressed.

9. Anticope

Anticope Member

That's right folks, you better believe that if the republicans make up a religious persecution towards themselves out of thin air that they are going to fight back against this imaginary anti-Christmas offensive with legislation that directly contradicts the 1st amendment! This will most certainly be the bloodiest revolution since the Tea Party revolt in 2009. God help us.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Hopefully this bill can stop the war on Christmas and Easter:rolleyes:

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

These "patriots" need to turn over their American flags and form their own fascist facist "republic" somewhere else. Preferably Mars.

12. Major

Major Member

My understanding is that the NC Speaker of the House is a co-sponsor of the bill.

13. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Christians are in no way pushed around as group in this nation. These people aren't pushing back against anything real.

14. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I am not sure what any of you guys are complaining about. Everyone knows that Christianity is inherently good for everything....

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I love me some Jesus...but the Jesus I think I understand doesn't seem like he'd be all that into state-sanctioned religion. I don't really get that vibe from the Sermon on the Mount or the Gosepl of John.

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Truth. If anything, he was against a religious system being imposed on people.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm not sure if dumb-asses doing stupid stuff is all that newsworthy. Probably, it'll never pass. And, if passed, it won't be employed. If employed, it'll be quickly struck down. So it's a tale full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. It reminds me of those dumb publicity stunts to get some free press, like when sex.com said they'd pay $5m if Kobe Bryant entered the dunk contest with Lebron James. No such thing as bad press, or something.

18. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Sung to the tune of Rocky Raccoon...

RocketRaccoon thinks North Caraloons
    Should make liberals read Gideon's bible
    Rocket has come worked up as a nun
    To make us attend tent revivals
    His revivals it seems had fulfilled his dreams
    By making us all think like he does.

1 person likes this.
  19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

North Carolina, Southern Baptists, Republicans, white. Hmmmm. I would suggest they are pushing back against something real... it's called the steamroller of history.

20. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Isn't giddyup from North Carolina? Makes sense.