1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBDL] Marcus Morris Game 11: Texas Legends @ Vipers 2/19/2012

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by BetterThanEver, Feb 19, 2012.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They have been losing and been blown out. What are you expecting?

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Patrick Ewing theory makes this seem a tad ridiculous, especially in the DLeague...

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Or you can be the teammate who sucks.

4. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

Like Carmelo, sometimes players don't fit into a certain style of ball. It doesn't mean they aren't winners, or great players even.

Marcus Morris struggling in a league that often plays 4 guards and 1 forward for significant stretches, doesn't concern me.

There are several D1/D2 players that would REALLY struggle in a good JC basketball game. Not because they aren't better, but because the style is so unique. DLeague games need to be taken with a sack of salt...

5. Carl Herrera

Who else has stunk in the DLeague and done well in the NBA?

6. anthony59237

anthony59237 Member

oh..........

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Rightfully so. He is a lottery pick. You have your expectations. But you can't prove he can't have a positive impact practicing with our winning group in the NBA given minutes.

I don't think one twin is so much apart from the other so there are differences in their game but I think overall performance counts.
    I think their performance will be solid in the future. Both Kieff's and Marcus'.
    BTW Markieff has a + 10 overall.

[​IMG]

8. Carl Herrera

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The dude's having a rough stretch. There's no question about that. But that doesn't mean he might not have the type of game that has to work its kinks out here and there. He's trying to completely overhaul his style of play from college, and the competition in the D-League is better than that.

The D-League hasn't been around enough to be used properly as a farm system the way they have it in baseball. But eventually it will be. People will go down there to work on new elements of their game and come back up when they think they've got the kinks out. A ton of players in the MLB have periods of struggling and then figure out, after which they have tons of success in the majors. I'd definitely prefer Morris to immediately be a finished product and tear up the D-League, but I'm not ready to call him a bust just yet.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You can actually prove the opposite....

http://www2.kusports.com/weblogs/hawks_nba/2011/dec/22/marcus-morris-shines-with-20-points-in-p/

I'm sorry but he isn't exactly playing on the Miami Heat. Playing on a team works both ways. they can either make you look a lot better than you are (Norris Cole) or make you look worse than you are.

No doubt in my mind that Morris would produce a lot more efficiently if he was playing with the rest of these guys.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

It is the only way you judge it that matters.

If you are injured and the team loses at a higher percentage and the reverse happens when you are in you deserve credit for that.

Plain and simple. It is why the world loves Jeremy Lin. It is why Kyle Lowry was a better choice over Brooks last year. It is why Hayes started over Hill.

Winning is above all else!

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He, Patterson, a couple of the 9ers would have needed summer league and more exhibition games, a well rounded off season to work on.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

To be fair, Lin had 3 summer camps with 2 or 3 different teams. Enough time to hire private coaching, working on aspects of his game.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If you are on a bad team it doesn't matter how good of a leader you are. Ask Kemba Walker who was a great leader for his college team and is now leading his NBA team to one of the worst records ever. Also despite what Tebow fans think leadership is actually something you can learn over time. Rookies hardly if ever come onto teams and establish themselves as leaders.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If you really want to compare. Patterson came into the league NBA ready, still got to go to the D-league, performed.

One operation did throw him off, his game got back to zero, and he is struggling ever since.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I'm just putting the number out there. That's all.

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

They have been 18-8 in games without Marcus. Excluding his 2 minute game they are 2-8 with him. I don't know what to interpret from that, but their record has clearly been better without him for whatever reason.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You know there is a discrepancy because the FO believes he can be a very good SF going forward but it takes a lot to go through the transformation and we are kind of in a Win mode, at the same time developing already NBA ready rooks and sophomores thanks to our own Les.
    It is very gross to have such high standards while working with young players, some players you can push hard, some you just can't

I believe even Terrence Williams can be somebody in a more relaxed setting.

Morris is another one. I think he is more competitive than Williams, but he he is hotheaded too. It is going to be difficult for him.
    With that said, he showed up other players. He showed what he can do.
    flashes of brilliance during the preseason game against the Spurs.

19. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

So you base Morris playing poorly, on his team's performance? Wins and losses?

His stats show that he is playing fairly well, especially before his ankle injury.

Forgive me for not pulling up the Dleague wins and losses of Jeremy Lin/Aaron Brooks/Chuck Hayes/Reggie Williams/Patrick Patterson, etc...

The DLeague is relatively new, so there are small sample sizes when determing what does and doesn't translate. There are few examples of guys making it to the NBA period, because VERY few teams utilize the Dleague like the Rockets do. Therefore, any opinion based on what players have done before Morris in the DLeague, have little merit, imo.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is very common. They didn't have Conroy before. Now Adrien and Greg Smith are out of the line up.
    You can't be stable, consistent with guys in and out of your line up time and time again.