1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBDL] Marcus Morris Debut : Dakota Wizards @ Rio grande Valley Vipers 1/6/12

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by BetterThanEver, Jan 6, 2012.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I agree and there actually is a fine line at this point in the season. While waiting to find the proper trade of Martin and Scola, we should be giving most of the minutes to young players and that includes Thabeet, Morris, TWill, etc. IF they actually start winning, you go with it...all the way to the playoffs if they will actually take you that far.

But if the keep walking away with Ls and you are "officially" lotto bound, then "injuries" to some key player(s) (Lowry for instance) is when you fire up the tank IMO. Hopefully walk away with a top 5 (ours) and a top 20 (NYKs), clean some more contracts, package a 3 for 1 type deal, sign a FA (if one will sign) and see what 2012-13 brings you.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

yeah
    37 minutes 13-24 FG 0.50 from long range, 2 steals, 3 TO to sum it up......

Nice game by Greg Smith as well....he is a beast
    hit all his free throws 6-6, 16 pts 6 boards in limited 21 minutes

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Man, the DLeague has some midgets playing at Center ;)

4. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

Original post has been edited to include the box score.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah I hope we have Smith on a contract. If not someone else is going to pick him up and make us regret giving one to Adriens.

He's not just a big stiff and he really uses his strength well.

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The only thing I can figure out about Adriens is we have some sort of trade worked out and as soon as we can trade him we are going to use his salary to complete some sort of trade that we needed his salary for.

I cannot figure out any other reason why that dude is in a Rox uni.

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I don't believe that Morris is down in NDBL because he's not good enough to play on the NBA level. But rather he has trouble adjusting to playing the SF and to our system as a SF. It just can't be that easy to make a position switch as a rookie without training camp.

So really, I don't think it matters how many points Morris can score down there. He needs to learn our playbook and get accustomed to playing the new position.

8. cod

cod Member

If a player struggles and is force fed minutes that's one way of destroying his confidence and possibly his NBA career.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Speaking of which....I don't think the players that are currently playing do get the playbook. We are just embarrassing out there.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They should actually call him up tonight so that he can play tomorrow. It was looking as if they were running out of options on who to play tonight.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yep. The boxscore is screaming, "We just gonna run 5 guys burgers and fries out there."

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What playbook?

LOL

DD

13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Exactly.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

the playbook that says HOME VICTORY basketball

15. DaDakota

Yeah, let's have a look at that playbook tomorrow night and see if the word .....

PLEASE is added.

;)

DD

16. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

This. Big time.

As I posted in the "Morris to the D-League" thread, the Rockets have RGV set up as their own private laboratory. There's a REASON why Morris scored 33 points tonight, besides just Morris being so talented. They can base everything the Vipers do around Morris and his playing the 3.

Meanwhile, back on the Rockets, he gets to NOT practice, NOT play heavy minutes in games and NOT be better than the fourth or fifth option whenever he actually gets to play.

I say, KEEP HIM IN THE D-LEAGUE. At least until, like meh says, he's got a firm grasp of playing the SF position in the Rockets' system. The Rockets have invested so heavily in the Vipers so that their hot-shot lottery picks like Patterson and Morris can essentially have their own franchise to use for their development.

That people view this as some sort of demotion or badge of shame just befuddles me. What the Rockets have with the Vipers makes this sort of move the absolute BEST thing to accelerate the development of a guy like Morris.

1 person likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Whose saying to force feed him minutes?

How about just getting the guy some NBA experience? No one is saying to start him right away...

With that said, force feeding a guys minutes is pretty much what teams do to every big prospect in the NBA.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sure.... but we are playing better at home so FAR....

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pledge_of_Allegiance

Dude, it's not that serious, it's only become ceremonial in modern history.

20. DaDakota

OKC is by far the best team we will have played.......hopefully Lowry will be back.....but I don't think he matters in this game.

DD