1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBC Sports] Monta Ellis Most Likely to Opt Out

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by yobod, Mar 3, 2015.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Oh, trust me, I won't be shedding any tears for the Mavs :)

I agree...I think if they're smart they let Rondo walk. Makes the deal for him so much worse, but it's still a sunk cost at this point.

2. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Dallas pays Parsons 15 millions
    ellis is better than Parsons
    he wants big money

3. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

What he wants and what he is worth to other teams are two different things. He's still the same inefficient chucker he was in GSW and MIL. More teams are starting to realized the "Kobe" model of play doesn't work anymore.

4. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Me too! Arkansas?

Oh yeah, I think Tyson stays..Rondo leaves..aaannddd Ellis will come down to the wire but ultimately stays

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As soon as Parsons signed that deal in Dallas you know Monta was itching to opt out.

Rondo is going to leave, Monta will opt out and Tyson Chandler will be a FA. My guess is that Cuban will resign Monta and Tyson, but both at much higher rates. At least with Monta it will be higher. Their cap space will be gone and that will be their team.

Monta will look at Goran Dragic's impending MAX deal with Miami as a bench mark. Be ready Cuban.

6. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

so what does that mean as far as offering a contract for beverley?

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Oh dear, the best owner ever looks to be in quite a pickle.

They're all gonna want to be paid more than Parsons, who is their 4th best player

8. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

OJ mayo running back.

9. arjun

arjun Member

He gnna want the max...monta ellis have it all baby.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's better than a lot of players getting the max

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Dirk will be 37 at season's end.

I give him credit for aging gracefully...

But, unlike Duncan, Dirk's primary skill has always been his offensive ability at that size. He's putting up at or near career lows, especially if you exclude his learning curve rookie and sophomore seasons, in per 36 minute stats generally.

Still an amazing player, and again MUCH props for still being as good as he is. I suspect, like Duncan, he will continue to age slowly and gracefully.

He's given the Mavs the hometown discount, which is nice, but I wonder if it even matters.

They need a clear and obvious younger max player to take the next step. In a lot of ways like the Rockets do as well - subject to Dwight's health.

Monta's been really solid and obviously underpaid. In a league dominated by the backcourt, the Mavs don't have a lot of options behind him.

It's a tough spot for them. The Parsons contract is going to hamper them a lot, imo. Consider they could have got Bledsoe on the same deal.

Oh well, they're the Mavs, who cares? They'll be a 4-8 seed for another year or two and give a team fits in the first round, maybe win a series (hopefully not against the Rockets!) and that's it... Cuban keeping the seats full.

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Who could have pedicted this turmoil that is the Mavericks 2015-2016 cap situation..........................?

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

They just paid Klay...... cant see Ellis back in Oakland anytime soon

14. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

assuming he leaves Dallas, without looking too closely at cap ramifications, Indiana could be a good fit. They need more offense and don't have anyone that great starting at SG (assuming they are comfortable having Paul George start at SF).

Memphis would be another interesting option if they manage to fit him under the cap with Zbo/Gasol.

I haven't watched him enough to figure out how his game would age though. I remember before his motorcycle injury he had incredible hops, so I thought he wouldn't be the same player after. He doesn't seem to jump as high, but obviously still as effective as he ever was. Anyone have thoughts on this?

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's not turmoil, really, though. It's a solid situation to be in to be able to decide to resign their own guys or not.

But it is just a bleh situation. It's highly unlikely they find someone truly more awesome. I guess there's the hope among hopes that LMA is convinced to return to the Dallas area... but why would he, when championship or not he has a chance to go down as the best Blazer ever, and staying with Portland gives him as good a shot to get to the Finals as most other squads... plus LMA plasy the same position as Dirk... and neither are stellar defenders.

Gasol would be a great get, but as much as everyone likes Gasol, I don't see how he pushes you to that championship level. And when you consider Gasol would come at the expense of Tyson Chandler, it's not a huge improvement.

There's just not a ton of players out there you could see the Mavs replacing their two with, who are both a meaningful improvement, and likely to go to the Mavs.

While the Rockest are in a similar boat, the Rockets have also retained assets to trade. NOP pick, DMo or TJones, young up and coming players.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Man if the Spurs and Mavs both collapse this offseason, it will be so sweet.

Especially if we make significant move (Lawson!)

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Fans and puban are gonna go from saying, "too much Monta!!!" this season to "too much, Monta!" this offseason. Im gonna laugh so hard when they rely on portions to carry weight. Lawls.

18. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I wouldn't mind signing Ellis. He would be too expensive for us though.

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

In what capacity? He isn't a point guard. So we'd have the best shooting guard rotation in the league (actually we may already have that with Harden + anybody) but 15 million + a year for a sixth man? Seems excessive.

20. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

he's already a better PG than PBev

he won't play for $8M next to $15M Parsons

but he just might next to $15M Harden