1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBC Sports: Daryl Morey and the point of no return.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jul 20, 2012.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL wtf? What are the things wrong in your examples that make your statement false? :rolleyes:

Anyway excellent article, and excellent FU to the "hate Morey" crowd. This is from NBC, so definitely not a homer and biased "Morey fanboy". Certainly, it neatly puts down tired and illogical arguments like "If Maury so good why are we treading the wheels of mediocrity?!".

I think though, one big flaw of the article is it latches on to Bynum/Howard or bust as the only way forward for the team. Morey's job is actually very secure because the team right now is loaded with both assets and promise for the future. Outside of NO, which young team has a brighter future than Houston?

We are not locked down to Howard or Bust Howard is one of the best superstars, but he is not the only superstar in the league. Marc Gasol, James Harden, even recent signee and Rockets hater Hibbert could be had as early as mid season this year. We have a lot of options which might pop up, no sense killing ourselves with a Dwight offer when the dude might end up leaving. Meanwhile you can watch the young guys grow, its lot like eating a candy while you wait for the lunch eat-all-you-can buffet promotion happening in a couple of hours at a local resto, instead of giving in to your hunger and ordering ala carte.

2. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

This might be asking too much, but sometimes I wonder why Morey didn't go with this plan a year earlier. After the Gasol trade fell through, rather put a Dalembert shaped band aid on the problem and see push for the middle, why didn't we trade away our veterans/tank for picks in this year's draft. This would have been the perfect year to tank, with the shortened season and a stronger draft than next year. Morey must have known that without a superstar we were doomed for the middle again.

The only things I can think of are 1) Morey thought we had a reasonable shot at a superstar since we almost had one in the offseason, got close on Howard and apparently were in the running for Deron Williams too. He must have thought by the trade deadline we would have been able to swing something. 2) Our assets hadn't matured yet (sorry hate describing players as assets but makes sense in this case. Lowry was good but last year gave him a better rep, Dragic earned his big rep after the deadline, Martin wasn't expiring yet, and there probably wasn't much use shopping Scola at the deadline since I can't think of a single team playoff bound team that could have really used a PF to put them over the top.

I also have to wonder if we wouldn't have started this even earlier but for Les' belief that Yao would one day recover from his injuries.

3. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

Good article but I still hope Howard goes somewhere else and we roll with the youngsters. How can you pass up a chance at a high draft pick next year with the class of Machadoo, Noel & Muhammad.

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

While I applaud this sentiment, going with the young guys and getting high draft pick for a few years is most likely going to take several years for the Rockets to be relevant. Where as, a Howard acquisition makes that leap almost instantaneous.

Being one who follows the Stros, the young approach is where they are at and they were terrible last year, this year and for a couple more probably. The waiting for that relevant day seems forever. Its no wonder that many teams try for the quick fix and chance to not sink to the bottom. Its a long road, and although the ultimate payoff is probably worthwhile, riding the ship to that point is frustrating and disheartening.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Agree. Further, in no way do we let the media define who were are, or how we measure our own success/failure. Some people do let this happen, and it is always a big mistake.

6. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

What you are forgetting is next year we will money for at least one max contract to throw at a free agent and I'm sure if our players develop and we get a Noel / Zeller / McAdoo / Muhammad we can sign a great player and trade for another.

7. rocketseagles07

none of the things you are suggestion are guarantees though. We MIGHT be able to sign a star, noel, mcadoo, shabazz, etc. MIGHT work out. Stop acting like going young and getting a high draft pick guarantees success....

8. rocketseagles07

none of the things you are suggesting are guarantees though. We MIGHT be able to sign a star, noel, mcadoo, shabazz, etc. MIGHT work out. Stop acting like going young and getting a high draft pick guarantees success....

9. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

" no retreat no surrender"

80s movie

10. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

i rather run with the young team and rebuild through the draft.

taking on all those old overpaid players along with howard is not worth it.

11. joegoroxy

joegoroxy Member

besides, the trade deadline is not until February, Orlando loses leverage with every day that passes by. If they wait to act they will end up giving Howard away for peanuts.

12. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Trading for Dwight and him staying isn't a guarantee either.

Hell, Dwight returning from back surgery to be the same player he was before isn't a guarantee either.... :p

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

That's my view; I don't want an unhappy injured player, no matter how good he is. Let's move on. Yes, we are in deep water, but let's swim out. Better than being stuck in neutral forever which was really getting on my nerves. Morey doesn't appear to be too effective in landing the "big one," which is not for lack of effort. Maybe we can build through the draft.

14. disguyman

disguyman Member

In Morey We Trust! Nobody wants to play in Houston because the weather sux. We are Bobcats 2.0

15. <3myrockets

<3myrockets Contributing Member

it's a dangerous balance to keep us at least somewhat excited to be rockets fans. go big or go home.

16. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Houston already has a superstar, his name is Daryl Morey. God I cant remember this many articles being written on any single GM in the league. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he is a bandwagonner basketball fan, as in he likes to root for all the "Texas" teams aka whoever is winning at the moment. Even he knew who Daryl Morey was. I don't know where Howard will end up or how the rockets will fare in the upcoming season, but I am certainly enjoying the national attention the Rockets are getting this off season. With the Astros sucking balls again it at least gives us something to follow till the Texans start playing.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I havent forgot about that. But time has proven you basically need one star in order to get the 2nd. Cap room by itself does not bring top players (FA's) aboard.

I am not say Dwight is the only guy who could be that 1st guy. What could/can happen a year from now is off my radar.

18. Possum

Possum Member

I think petitions are silly but that's one I would sign. I don't want Howard and his flaky attitude. I would love watching this young team grow together and keep all our picks to fill in around them the next few years. Not to mention the ap space we have to add solid if not high quality FA's.

19. psingh34

psingh34 Member

how many championships has howard won? how many times has he even made it to the finals in a weak eastern conference (once) .. I take it that going to finals and winning finals is what success would be .. so its not like getting howard would guarantee success. So many superstars have never won a championship so just bc you get a superstar does not mean you are guaranteed success either

20. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

I agree with the article, though I'm not sure the writer understands how difficult it is to find true centers who are above average defenders. The Asik signing does make sense from that perspective.

It IS Howard or bust. And I'm totally cool with it. Let the new era begin! Either way