1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBADraft.net] Where are we at?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Roxs-Redemption, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Roxs-Redemption

I guess we should start this topic nice and early {There is still less than 230 days left till draft} so we can check it regularly, we are missing a young talented small-forward who can really do some Defence or a young Point Guard that dishes to all the teammates no matter what the Coaches Playbook says...

Lets look at rankings:2011 NBA Mock Draft

and players: Harrison Barnes , Perry Jones, Kyrie Irving, Terrence Jones, Alec Burks and jan Vesely

Note: There are more players on the site and other information

2. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Apparently this draft is packed with talent, which is pretty good for us! Since we have the right to swap picks!

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They have us starting at #5???! :confused: So........

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So far i like Perry Jones(the next Anthony Randolph), Alec Burks and Jeffrey Taylor(the next Shane Battier). :)

5. The Joker

The Joker Member

pretty cool seeing Brandon Knight getting ranked that high. Played against him in high school, coached against him the last 3 years. Sick work ethic. Good kid, I hope the best for him.

1 person likes this.
  6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I like Alec Burks a lot. I watched him play a ton last year and plan on attending even more games this year. I actually think he has a shot at taking CU to the tourney next season. He has pretty good ball handling skills and can play both guard positions. He is also big in crunch time. He reminds me a bit of Courtney Lee, but more physical and better playmaking skills with a lot more potential.

7. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

Jared Sullinger, freshman at Ohio State, is going to be a monster PF in the league. He's 6'9'' 280... he's a bull in the paint, cleans up at the cup, and has a high basketball IQ.

Expect big things from this kid. He has some serious glass cleaning skills, and plays like a slightly more athletic, less polished version of Big Al Jefferson.

He's essentially a more athletic, offensively gifted DeJuan Blair.

8. jdh008

jdh008 Member

I'll simply be interested to see if the Rockets shift their draft strategy going into this next draft. Over the past couple years, the draft has been used to pick up low-risk players that can contribute right away.

Now that it looks like the Rockets might whiff on getting Carmelo or a similar player to come to town in exchange for some of the Rockets excess depth, I wonder if maybe they won't look to move up in the draft or swing for the fences.

9. johnnydeezy1

johnnydeezy1 Member

ill be happy with any of those guys!

10. mosessmalone

mosessmalone Member

yea cuz patrick patterson is contributing right away

11. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

He would play if we weren't stacked in the 4 spot.

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

His huge base and quickness remind me of Chuck. Seems pretty smart as well.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ISmaSd7ZCPo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ISmaSd7ZCPo?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is what I'm hoping if they don't get into the top 3.

I mean if Minny is there or Clippers they may consider moving down a few spots since they have drafted there a ton of times and could use some veteran talent.

But draft-wise the best thing is if the Rockets and Knicks are both lotto bound then they have a good shot at a great prospect.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

At this point, considering our poor play and the Knicks' ability, I look for our draft pick to be between #7 and #11. Given the median #9 pick in that case, my picks would be either PG Brandon Knight or C Jonas Valanciunas. Yes, I would rather have one of the top five picks, but let's be realistic about our luck. Unfortunately, Morey probably would go with Kyle Singler since he is the only senior in the top 15 -- or maybe another power forward.

#14 thumbs, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
  15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Yep, we desperately need another PF. :rolleyes:

16. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

I have an interesting scenario that I would rather not happen, but if it must...:

Lets say that the Rockets and Knicks finish about the same place in the draft, making the Rockets ability to switch picks really worth it (especially considering Morey's magic in the draft and the Knicks lack there of), or rather, we have a higher pick than them anyway.

In those cases, can we then trade our rights to switch picks with them to another team? For instance, we could trade our right to switch picks with the Knicks to a team that finished behind the Knicks for cash/future picks/an extra first round pick/ect while holding on to our high lottery pick. It would be incredibly valuable in a sign-and-trade for someone like Carmello, as the Nuggets would suddenly have a top ten pick and get to screw over the Knicks in one swoop.

At the very least, if we can't screw over the Knicks, another team should feel obligated to do so.

I have a feeling there are stipulations to the swap, but if not, it should be an interesting offseason... again.

17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Trade AB, Jeffries/Battier to the Sixers for Iggy and change
    Draft Kyrie Irving

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No, the Rockets cannot do that.

It is a pick swap right between the Knicks pick and the Rockets pick ONLY.

What the Rockets can trade is "the higher of the Knicks' first round pick (top-1 protected) and the Rockets' first round pick". Nothing more.

If the Rockets finish with a worse record than the Knicks, that swap right is worthless in trade.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

Really? On the contrary, based on where the season is going, and both the Knicks and the Rockets get into the bottom 10 in standings, I'd think that pick would be worth a ton. It gives an incredible chance at getting a top 3 pick.

20. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Right, that's what I thought as well, otherwise it would be all too powerful for teams outside of the lottery. I thought it might be possible since the Knicks were trying get it back from the Rockets so they could then give it to the Nuggets for Carmello a while back, which made me think that we had the right to trade the swap to another team ourselves.

It would be too much fun to finish 1st, them second, and then we trade their right to swap with the nuggets (outside the lottery) for Carmello, where they would in turn swap and take the 2nd overall pick in the draft.