1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA TV] Instant classic - Knicks (Lin) v. Mavs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Garner, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Garner

Garner Member

The fourth quarter of Lin's Knicks vs. Macericks is about to begin on NBA TV.

Great opportunity to get a glimpse back at Lin's game during the height of Linsanity.

1 person likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd prefer this:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hW4uXlRGAF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

DON'T HURT'EM TINMAN! :grin:

Man, Dream was the best!

4. tinman

Supporting Member

your title doesn't say Rockets dude. Come on man, I know you are a Rockets fan, I hope your account didn't get hacked by those fake Knicks/Rockets fans.

i'd rather watch McGrady jack up a bunch of desperation 3s, at least that was a Rockets game.

5. Garner

Garner Member

Not in the least- perhaps the topic wasn't thread worthy, but considering how highly debated Lin is around here these days, I thought some people (like myself) would be interested in watching the Knick's Linsanity versus who we now watch weekly in Rocket's red.

Hope/expectations versus Houston's reality.

Was just passing along information- wish I had the chance to catch more of the game than I did.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

dude we all saw linsanity. now what we have now is reality.

7. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Sweet dreams are made of this!

Having said that, I hope someone mentions it here whenever they show Lin's 38 against the Lakers. I'd like to watch that game. I've seen the highlights, but not the entire thing.

8. SugarLandDream8

Lin could still play that well. He showed it against SA and Tony Parker.

9. sal.ryan

sal.ryan New Member

Aside from his ability to post crazy stats, Lin's hallmark is his ability to elevate the games of average players. Landry Fields, and Steve Novak were awarded huge contracts post Linsanity.

And he did it again with Asik, who posted a career high in scoring against San Antonio. And even TD was hitting big shots.

Let's face it: as people get older, they tend to become very set in their ways and in their outlook. And that's likely what's happened with McHale and Sampson. They can't SEE Lin as a dominant PG because they are so fossilized in their outlook on players (ie black players are best, white players are second best, Asian players don't exist).

They can't, won't and probably don't even realize it, however. It's a damn shame.

10. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

Lin is or starter. You realize that right? What you said would make sense if Lin wasn't getting a chance. He's our starter. He's getting playing time. He's struggling. If toy want to talk about seeing things. Look at what some Lin fans see. He struggles day after day, yet it's never his fault. It's the coaches, Harden, Asik, Douglas. A elite player or black player playing as Lin, has would have already been benched, given how much he's struggled. Just like Rafer was, and then Brooks. Yet what's happened to Lin. He's getting the third most votes among fairs in the All-Star game. His backup (a young black player) has been playing really well and yet people complain he is getting too many minutes.

11. steady

steady Member

Agree. I like Lin, and want to see him succeed. But he has to get better. I happen to think he will. But right now what Lin’s going through is what any other young unproven player would go through. The fact that it’s happening in the glare of linsanity, making it more humiliating, is noone’s fault – he just has to tough it out. Don't get me wrong, I am not crazy about McHale, but that is not the fundamental problem.

12. split41

split41 Member

Other than his shooting, where does he need to obviously improve? While there are a lot of holes in his game, if his shots start falling Lin's criticism seems to fall by the weigh side. Defensively he has been very good and his passing seems serviceable (with the exception of his 1st quarter 3 turnovers last game).

I feel like people put a lot of, possibly too much, emphasis on scoring points.

I'm not a LOF or whatever, but it seems this guy is really under the microscope here and everywhere. I feel sorry for the dude, ever little thing he does wrong gets blown up (I've also guilty of blowing up his struggles).

Lin is obviously struggling, but from the games I've watched when his shots fall everything seems to fall in place for him (e.g. Jazz game, Spurs game): I know you didn't really ask this, but I'd like to know what people think he needs to do to "get better"?

13. Karolik

Karolik Member

Lin's shooting woes are costing us wins. Notice like you said, how when he's hitting his perimeter shots, the team wins. Thats not a coincidence. Teams are stacking the paint and interior forcing Lin to shoot 3's. Thats pretty much screwing up spacing for Harden and the rest of the team, especially to penetrate. Meanwhile you have Lin who instead of taking the open 3's like he should, is trying to force drives and passes into the stacked paint. Until he starts taking and hitting his 3's, this team with Harden and Lin both starting will continue to struggle.

14. split41

split41 Member

I think this is a fair assessment, I mean it definitely helps with the spacing and makes drives to the basket a lot easier.

"is trying to force drives and passes into the stacked paint" - I don't know about this statement though, he seems a bit passive to be doing this enough for it to be a major problem. From what I've seen he takes about 6-8 shots a game - half are 3 pointers/long twos and the other half are drives.

Anyways, I only asked because some of the posters are talking like this guy has done nothing right all season, so I just wanted some perspective on angles of his game that I might have neglected that are costing the team (other than his poor shooting), because he is getting major backlash everywhere. I really feel bad for the guy, seems like a good dude in the interviews - but being a good dude does not = good NBA player.

15. Samo

Samo Member

But Lin was never a very good 3 point shooter. Even in NY, a couple of 3's a game at most (he is capable of that now) and that doesn't stop him. And I think part of reason of his shooting slump in Houston is he couldn't pick his timing to shoot. Putting balls in his hands may solve his shooting problem. Some may say he didn't do well even when he had ball in hands. I think giving him the ball then taking away, giving it back and taking away again doesn't work for him. It just breaks his rhythm.

A question is always in my mind. If Lin playing PG and Harden SG results Lin 20 points, Harden 25 points vs Lin SG 5 points and Harden PG 30 points, what would coaches choose? Would coach even give the first combination a try? Some people keep saying Lin needs to get better. Of course he needs to, who doesn't? But would you make Harden a PF and tell him to get better at it? If he couldn't, should we say he is not a good NBA player?

16. alethios

alethios Member

I just knew as soon as I saw this thread, that tinman would be all over this like nacho cheese.

17. AirSwish

AirSwish Member

Come on guys, we have watched last 20 or so games. Lin has done a good job looking for the open guy and running whatever Mchale is set them to run. You can't deny that. And we all can agree that he has been horrible at shooting specially when spotting up. What does this team really need from him? Scoring over 20 pts? Taking more than 15 shots? No. He doesn't really take that many shots. We all know our offense is designed for Harden or even Parsons to take the shots. Look at the stats on Douglas, who has been better better than Lin at shooting and check how many shots he took when he played most of the game when Lin got subbed. Mchale is not asking or expecting both of his pgs for more what they are doing, but he does ask them to be great defenders which he prefers Douglas at the moment. Now, should Lin be more efficient and knock his shots down. Yes! But asking him to go gun-ho, Mchale will not stand for that except when Harden is not able to play.

18. yohimbe505

yohimbe505 Member

Harden's fg percentage is 42% (90th) His 3pt percentage is 33% (101st)

He really hasn't shot the ball THAT much better than Lin has...

Lin 39% FG (120th) His 3pt percentage is 31% (116th)

Perceptual impact comes down to 1 thing... Harden chucks more so his point totals look better.

19. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

Perceptual impact comes from the fact that Harden is able to a lot more even when his hot is off. He is second in FTA, he gets the Rockets points even when he struggles with shooting. Jeremy Lin does not have that impact. Not only that, as you say even while shooting less he can't maintain Harden's FG %. Given the fact that Harden is "chucking" it up, surely Lin with his open shots will be able to at least match Harden's FG% if not top it.

Speaking of "perceptual impact", I want to know what some of these Lin fans are seeing in his performances for the constant calls to get him more minutes despite the fact his backup is playing well. I fail to see it, and seems like the coaches do too.

20. G Zus Kryst

G Zus Kryst Rookie

[​IMG]