1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA TV - Game Time] Isaiah Canaan considered Top 5 ''Ready to Play'' Rookie

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rumelian, Sep 2, 2013.

1. rumelian

rumelian Member

2. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

maybe by midseason he'll get a chance. DM has a habit of making deadline deals that help promote PG's to larger roles.

3. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

That's pretty amazing considering he is a second rounder. We shall see. Murray ftw, once again!

4. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One of the biggest selling point of Thomas Robinson was that, as a 21-year-old upperclassman, he was supposed to be more "NBA ready" than many of the younger draftees (like, say, Andre Drummond). Didn't turn out that way.

Hope Canaan turns out well, but the chances that a 2nd rounder, or any rookie, becomes a decent regular rotation guy for a 50+ win team is pretty slim.

5. val_modus

val_modus Member

What is the biggest knock on this kid? I've heard a lot about his great shooting ability and range, I want to hear more about the things that might keep him off the court.

6. koopa

koopa Member

He's short and stocky. could be like nate robinson

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

lack of PG playmaking skills, high turnovers

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Agreed. "NBA ready" is something people say about older, less talented draftees to pump them up.

9. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

That was also the selling point on Brandon Roy...that he didn't have quite the same potential as the others ranked in the top 10 but was the most NBA ready. Of the guys drafted in the top 20 that year only Roy, Aldridge, and Gay really amounted to anything.

10. RocketsRed14

RocketsRed14 Member

Would fit well with harden as a spot up shooter.

11. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

actually, it was said 2 years ago. dm had been focusing on drawing the players who were more ready to play players. they are less risky and much more easily to turnover in the market. in other word they are good when you are trying to snowball the assets for the clubs.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

He is almost the exact same player as Lillard, style wise. Excellent ball handling skills. He and Lillard were almost identical in college as far as stats go. He deserves the playing time, but alas, he will be stuck at the end of the bench or back and forth to the d-league while other rookies get all the playing time they can handle.:rolleyes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/K2I_x5q1AcU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

One word. Sacramento.

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Short, slower than the average starting PG in the NBA, can't finish at the rim. If he shoots like Curry ...

15. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

His weak defensive instincts, stance, stature first and foremost. Lack of a pg game as in running an offense. Slow.
    But he sure seems to have great shooting similar to Goudelock. And he's shown that he can generate points. That stroke though.. Pure as snow. A beautiful stroke. I hope he puts work in and gets his pg skills in order as he is too short to be a combo guard.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Joey Dorsey was said to be NBA-ready too. I've learned to ignore such appraisals. You wouldn't think NBA-ready players would wash out so fast, but they do. What has changed since the draft where he was taken #35 that he is now good enough to get minutes on a contender? Maybe he will end up being that good, but the analysts have no more information now than they did 3 months ago. If he's ready now to get minutes on a contender, he was ready 3 months ago, and if he was ready 3 months ago, he would have been drafted higher.

17. rullrich

rullrich Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ug_kfVQs6a0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Watching his DraftExpress video suggested to me that while he can knock down shots his shot selection frequently isn't always the greatest. Not really a knock if he can drain the shots but I struggle to see that style of play translating as well to the NBA in year one.

He also seems reluctant to pass the ball in the video - which was most likely a result of being the best player on his team.

I'm very excited about this kid though - especially if we can move him into the rotation and get anything of value out of one of the 3 other PGs we have on the team we'd be in great shape for a late season push. Unless there's a serious reason not to (Morris, White) our rookies tend to get a shot at the team at some point in the season.

18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

From what I've seen so far it looks like he has a tendency to a bit erratic with his shot selection, and LOVES the step-back 2. Being able to facilitate the offense correctly is a whole other issue that we have yet to see on an NBA level. We have no idea whether or not he's smart enough to learn the plays, and more importantly.... learn how to play NBA defense.

The Rockets are going to probably want him to play off the ball to play with the regular rotation guys, so being able to get the plays started and getting out of the way of the likes of the key playmakers Harden, Lin, Parsons, and Dwight will be key.

He's got to learn quickly how to make those guys better by spacing the floor, making the offense run smooth by getting the offense into its sets efficiently, and adding perimeter defense to help the post players get into position on that end.

The burning question surrounding a player like Canaan starting off his rookie year with a playoff contender is-

(Much like Thomas Robinson) How will he adjust his game from being "The Man" at a college program to being "a complementary piece" with a 50 win NBA team?

With such little time in training camp & preseason to learn what he needs to learn & prove himself to the coaching staff, I'd say the cards are stacked against him being able to win rotation minutes in the first half of the regular season.

19. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

While I do agree with some points. Most players who are NBA ready are what they are and don't really have potential to get much better.. Which is why they don't go earlier.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You and Thomas Robinson. Worse than the D&D with AroundtheWorld and "guess what the Muslims did now?"

Robinson might yet turn out okay, given a chance to play, and now that he understands he should concentrate on boards and D.

I will grant you this: we will miss Pitty Pat that much more, what with Dwight in the fold.

As far as Canaan, I think he'll tear it up when given a chance. Unfortunately this season he's going to know McAllen better than Houston.