1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA trade rumors: Knicks keeping Carmelo Anthony over taking Rockets offer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

Guys please , all this talk about NY media, tabloids and public opinion about Nicks, I just want to tell you New York don't give a $$$$ about Nicks, the mater of fact New York cares only about football, baseball and hockey. And if you are New Yorker you care about Rockets ,Heat, Lakers or what ever but not Nicks. They did care about Brooklyn for a while, but that in the past. So all this talk and media only works in your town, but not here.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

He will 100% be a Rocket this season.

Hui, BigShasta, Mathloom and 2 others like this.
  3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Who's Nick? A player, coach, front office exec?

BigShasta and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  4. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

5. RocketsFanBrian

Someone on Reddit got this today, 5th of August(8) 17, Ryno's number is 33 :eek:

lionaire likes this.
  6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I've been saying this all along. Common sense and rationality doesn't always imply to the Knicks. The Knicks are the kind of organization that are stupid enough to just sit on 22 ml to 50 mil on a player they will not play. Never under estimate stupidity. Reasoning and rationalizing with a r****d is close to impossible. Ever hear of r****d strength? Yeah last guy you want to fight. The rules just don't seem to apply to them.
    The 3 years is a great offer! But 23 mil for a year os just too tough to swallow.

Hui likes this.
  7. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Knicks agreed to try to trade him, but you have to admit Morey's offer was horrible. If Rockets offered Chinanu +fillers for Melo would you expect Knicks to take it? The Ryno +filler offer is even worse.
    Knicks obviously can't expect a fair return, but they don't have to agree to offers that has negative value to them. Melo has no trade clause not must trade clause.

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You are really struggling to understand a very simple concept at the moment. I will try one more time to help you out.

The Knicks vs Melo drama is extremely poorly handled, from both sides. The Knicks have publicly made statements about who they consider to be part of their future (conveniently leaving out Melo), and they have made it clear that they are looking to trade Melo. That means, their only options at the moment is to trade Melo before the season starts, or keep him, leading to locker room issues and letting the whole league know you are fine with letting players rot if necessary.

If the Knicks do not care about their image, and are more than happy to let this play on, it would eventually lead to an unhappy player on/off the court whilst creating a toxic locker room environment for the younger guys. If they are happy with this outcome, then that would be their one and only leverage.

That was my point from the very beginning. I do not want to help your reading comprehension again so if you want to argue a strawman again I suggest you do so on microsoft word.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The Knicks actually do care about their image. Why do you think they fired Phil Jackson?

Cash Cam and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  10. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

I think it's easy to rationalize including Gordon in a trade because of the injury history, but it would be foolish. He was a key part of the rebound last year from 2015. He's an elite bench player who fits just right on the Rockets. Whatever gain would come from Melo would be largely negated by trading Gordon. I'd rather pass on Melo if it meant losing Ego.

Remlap and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  11. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Agree about Gordon. I would be willing to include ariza because tucker and mbah a moute would fill in at small forward to cover the loss. But Gordon might be too much.

12. threepointshot3

So you would rather be a non contender?

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The Knicks can wait for camp all they want , he doesn't have to show up , just walk away and the Knicks get nothing at all.

I mean if he is so unhappy in NY , why play at all when you have more money than you will ever spend.

Melo holds all the leverage here ....

That's not to say that I think he's the answer to the teams problems. Just that he holds all the cards when it comes to the Knicks.

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

based on your cousin's husband saying so, even though he has no real details of how?

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

I find it funny that people take stuff to this extreme. Melo not showing up for camp? C'mon now...

16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

New York's alleged best case scenario is they PAY Melo 50m over 2 years to take a hatchet to every attempt they make to rebuild their image and their locker room, and provide nothing of value on the court. Meanwhile, Melo's agent is none other than Leon Rose, also the agent of Knicks prized rebuilding asset Frank Ntilikina.

Meanwhile, what's on the table is:
    1) Buy me out for $50m and not a penny less; or,
    2) Trade me to Houston.

To call that leverage is the height of inverse homerism.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

this is so offbase, lol

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

You "confirmed" it. Ok man, whatever u say. U said your sauce was some assistant GM on the West Coast. He sure seems to know a lot...

Uh, watch out for OKC? What are they gonna offer that is so much better than what we could offer? We've seen what Melo's value is. The Clippers, Cavs, and Rockets have offered nothing for him.

Our leverage is close to zero? Explain...

Lol, what dominoes? I'm sure you'll just tell me that your sauce said that the Knicks would sign Sessions and other stuff found on google.

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Have you taken into account that Melo will still have his no trade clause if he's traded? Look at what that clause has done to the Knicks. That's something no one in the world would want included in a 34 year old Melo contract. You are assuming a player's value is the maximum he can produce on the court. It's not. There is a gigantic difference between Melo@25m and Melo@25m and a no trade clause and bird rights and a player option.

Even the teams who the Knicks claimed had a chance - like OKC and POR - are offering THEIR most garbage assets. People seem to have the perception that if Melo would open up his list that teams would be flooding the Knicks with incredible offers. They are not. Even Cleveland was offering Shumpert, Frye, etc. There are few teams who are in the position we're in - where they want to lock themselves into 2 years of Melo control - and those teams are not going to offer anything of significantly greater value for a semi-motivated 34 year old NTC and player option-holding Carmelo Anthony. Cleveland and Houston have the potential to make it worth it, few others teams do.

Which is exactly why his list of acceptable teams is what it is. He is telling everyone: I'm motivated to play for these 2 teams (apparently now 1 team). Everyone else would get the 2016-2017 Melo who is bitter about a wasted year at age 34.

That's why we need to stop talking about it as "getting negative value". It is negative value to the Knicks right now. And there's no way to change that. They are being offered negative value for negative value. No one is going to bail them out after they handcuffed themselves.

Ryan Anderson has 3 years and $60m on his contract, and he can be dumped for NOTHING IN RETURN BUT A TPE if we give up any 2 first rounders. If we are willing accept an expiring contract rather than trade exception, you can get away with less than 2 first rounders. If you're willing to take on a 2 year contract, I bet it becomes pretty cheap to get rid of him.

What's Melo's value right now? It's basically a $50m heavily underperforming scorer at age 34 with a no trade clause. That's his value on the MARKET, and they don't even have access to the market. They can keep Melo for 2 years, and then watch Ntilikina's agent demand a crazy contract or he walks, and Porzingis is watching too. Is that really better than spending the next 12 months trying to flip Anderson's contract into ANY contract(s) shorter than Andersons by 1 year?

They don't have to do the deal now. That's always been the case. Doesn't help season tickets, doesn't help perception, and it helps Houston/Melo look better when they play. But they will trade or buy out, Melo will not blink. Too many jokers in his pocket. He can crush the Knicks, and the new employees who are trying to look like winners will spend their entire Knicks careers dealing with Phil Jackson's problem. That's not going to happen. They want to move on.

jch1911 likes this.
  20. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

To prevent him from trading KP. Jackson probably did this intentionally just to get his pay check without working.