1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA trade rumors: Knicks keeping Carmelo Anthony over taking Rockets offer?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Aug 4, 2017.

1. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

2 choices that are convenient for Rocket fans. There's no stopping NY from keeping him

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

No, but they don't want to keep him. They have made that very clear.

3. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

They also don't want to take back Ryan Anderson. This is going to be a long process

4. Carl Herrera

This is why a buyout is a pretty reasonable outcome. It's not like keeping Carmelo Anthony on the roster is likely to make him a better trade asset given the no-trade clause.

And if the Knicks want this to be a long process, Morey should just let it play out. The team will be fine ( at least in terms of getting a good playoff seed) without Carmelo and there will be other opportunities.

5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You really need to work on your reading comprehension skills because what you have now is getting you nowhere.

Organization image absolutely matters in determining whether players want to play for you. However, it doesn't all of a sudden mean nobody wants to play for you because at the end of the day the Knicks have one of the largest markets by far. Furthermore, Kyrie Irving has expressed interest in playing in multiple places, because he wants to leave Cleveland as soon as possible.

Lastly, Carmelo Anthony himself has recently completely erased Cleveland off the picture after the fiasco in Cleveland. That in and of itself should be proof that how an organization runs matters to players.

If you really think a poorly run organization would be as competitive in attracting free agents than a well run organization, well I don't know what to tell you.

Richie_Rich and ricky-retardo like this.
  6. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

If it gets to that toxic point yes but elmo has stayed professional

Pen15clubber likes this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Melo won't have to be unprofessional.

Things will start feeling "toxic" when games are played and lost and the NY tabloids and radio hosts start taking shots at the Knicks and everyone feels the heat. It is relatively quiet now because this is early August.

J_Hunter_1977 likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

First of all... Steve Kyler doesn't know crap. He's a hoops blogger who needs to stop acting like an insider and just write about basketball. He'd be better served just stating his opinion.

Second of all... in a way he's got a point. The Knicks just aren't going to do the Rockets deal because it suddenly the Rockets got better assets than they did a month ago. If the Rockets aren't putting Capela and Eric Gordon in the deal I just don't see how the structure of the deal is going to change, and they aren't just going to magically think the deal is all the sudden better for them in another month.

Lastly... this whole idea that Melo is going to raise hell if he's not traded by training camp is nonsense. Melo knows the reputation he got leaving Denver and he's not going to be a huge baby about it at this point in his career. Yes there would be tension behind the scenes and i'm sure Melo would still be pushing for a trade, but the Knicks simply don't have to trade him if the only option for a deal is a bad deal for the team longterm. If the Knicks are surprisingly good this season, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Melo decides he wants to stay if they are winning.

If I had to gamble on it, I'd say Melo is a Knick to start the season, and the moment that their team is unofficially out of the playoff picture, Melo gets bought out and joins the Rockets, Spurs, or Cavs. But he can't be a Rocket longterm if that's the case since the Rockets don't have cap space. In July 2018 I think Melo is a LA Laker and joins whoever the first superstar is that signs there this next offseason (Lebron or George).

The Rockets just need to worry about making sure Harden and CP3 are killer together. If that happens they the second best team in the West, and players like Melo will continue to try and get to Houston if there is a mechanism to get them there. Right now I don't see a mechanism to get Melo here unless they decide to put core players in the deal, or the Knicks decide to buy him out right now which I doubt will happen yet.

rocketseagles07 likes this.
  9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I'm talking about this specific incident; in which you're wrong. The idea that the Knicks are not trading Carmelo Anthony for Ryan Anderson or a similar bad contract like Myers Leonard would not negatively affect the way players view the organization. What do you think Kyrie would rather see if he was to hypothetically land there? (I know he won't) The team he joins doing right by Melo and filling their cap space with worst contracts and no good pieces, or join a team that along with Porzingis is headed in a better direction with their roster? If you don't know the correct answer, well I don't know what to tell you.

10. GottaHaveHeart

Knicks clearly posturing to up the ante and are hoping Rockets bite but they clearly have no leverage and it would be smart that we stand pat. They will lose Melo for nothing at seasons end and thats a fact! So you decide NY if you bite the bullet now or later (Feb trade deadline)

Tfor3 and J_Hunter_1977 like this.
  11. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Your all wasting your breathe. He will be a rocket.

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

No he won't. Not this upcoming season.

13. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Yes he will

BHannes2BHonest and Tfor3 like this.
  14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I swear, the moment I saw "Zoplicone" as the thread's latest poster, I thought, pre-click, "Here we go, Negative Nancy." And sure enough....

15. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

Lmao. Isn't that the truth.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

yes he will on friday, at 5:45 tuesday.

17. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

Melo waiving his no trade clause ONLY to join HOU will end up in 2 ways. Either NY takes HOU offer of Anderson and a future 1st or they buy Melo out which will be way more convinient and cheaper in the long run rather than to take contracts that exceed 2+ years which have no real asset value. Melo is, up until this point, unwilling to go to another team and so as long as he keeps it like that you could see a buyout in the future and a lineup of:

CP3/Taylor
    Harden/Gordon
    Ariza/PJ/Williams
    Melo/Anderson/Mbah a Moute/Zho
    Capela/Nene/Black/Nanu

18. roslolian

roslolian Member

Melo hasn't exactly been the picture of health either, why do you think the trade market for him is so low? Knicks have two stars in Porzingis and Melo and they also had Rose last year, if Melo was still any good they would have at least reached in the playoffs given how weak the East is and most people who want Melo haven't even seen the dude play.

Melo at this point is just a slight upgrade but extremely more costly Anderson, if he came off buyout he would be a godsend but at his current contract he is overpaid just as much as Anderson. If we also lose Ego then it is no longer worth it imho, his salary prevents you from adding anybody else and you actually lose overall talent on the team.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

True that would be great for this season but the Rockets surely couldn't resign him this next Summer since they'd need cap space to do so. So it's a one year rental hence why I think they'll probably bump up their offer to get him if they really do want him that bad.

But as I predicted earlier I still think a mid season buyout seems the most likely at this time, but just know that it's likely just a rental in that case.

20. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

What are your odds he will be a rocket by training camp? Mine are 70/30