1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA tells Rose to stop wearing neck tape

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yellow, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Drawkwa22

Drawkwa22 Member

i'm sure if adidas or nike starts making them, it'll be ok.

2. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

The tape sure isn't helping his game. They Adidas should stop running his shoe commercial until he gets his PER above 2.

3. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Well he did hire people to take the SAT for him to get into MEMPHIS. He's probably close to a functioning r****d when it comes to intelligence.

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The research findings are basically saying there is some effect, but they dont know what that really is and why it happens. i don't think i'd call that a placebo effect for sure.

This is widely used by professionals and olympic athletes. It's not like wearing a bracelet that helps heal the whole body or something that far out. The NBA should let him wear it.

5. ButtZilla

ButtZilla Member

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>After Derrick Rose said the NBA told him to stop wearing the therapeutic tape on his injured neck during games, the league reconsidered.</p>&mdash; Ken Berger (@KBergCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/KBergCBS/statuses/398202603261018113">November 6, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

You aren't understanding what the tape is. Some people may say it provides a placebo effect and it may for some. The tape is not different than taping your ankles or wearing a knee brace or arm sleeve. It helps to hold tendons in place some or to apply pressure on muscle or tendons.

So should Howard stop wearing arm sleeves, should players stop taping their ankle?

8. Yellow

Yellow Member

Haha classic

9. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Rose should wear his hair long like Scola and he can use florescent pink neck tape if he wants.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is this the same stuff tennis players wear on their shoulders? Sharapova is the first that comes to mind -- she wears blue tape on the shoulder she had surgery on fairly often.

11. MONON

MONON Member

I agree 100%. What really ticks me off is that as far as I know, the NBA just said "don't wear it" without a stated reason. What else are they going to arbitrarily ban?

12. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

You shouldn't think less of him. He tries it and if it had a placebo affect, who cares. Its not different then having any kind of ritual, the mind is very powerful in what you can believe and to each his own.

If he came out and told everybody that they must do it because it works, that would be different. That would make him an idiot.

13. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You can use it anywhere. So, that probably was it. They have it in all kinds of colors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it looks like Rose isn't the first NBA player to wear it, so it was pretty stupid of the league to tell him not to.

#33 RV6, Nov 6, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Is it the tape or the color of the tape that they don't like?

15. GraingerGuy

GraingerGuy Member

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23306413

Wrong. " Treatment with KT significantly improved pain levels and range of motion in patients with acute whiplash-associated disorders of the cervical spine both immediately and 24 hours after injury; however, the long-term results did not differ between the 2 groups"

While there is not long term benefit to it, it helps with pain in the short term. That being said, if Rose is depending on this stuff to help him play through the pain, it's going to hurt him more.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

That was only in two out of six studies, and those studies did not compare the tape with a placebo.

Did you not read what was in the link you just posted? It was a survey of SIX STUDIES, and only two out of six even found any benefits, without establishing whether they were the result of the placebo effect or actual benefit.

Money quote from the end of your own link:

It's a placebo, man.

17. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

I work at a Physical Therapy clinic and we use it on patients all the time. Most of the patients find it beneficial, especially the ones with inflammation or swelling. So no, it's not "powerbalance" or some stupid gimmick some of you people are claiming it is and it's been around for more than five years now. I've used it myself it's helped me with inflammation on my shoulder.

18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Because it's a placebo and you decided to believe in bull****.

The placebo effect is real; there is no evidence that there are actual medical benefits to the tape.

19. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Whether it's proven to work or not is irrelevant. If someone believes it works they should be allowed to wear it.