1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

*NBA SURVIVOR Round Twentytwo*

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by devestata, Aug 11, 2002.

1. mav3434

mav3434 Member

It got them further than Orlando has the past two years. To say that McGrady did it over the "entire playoffs" of four or five games that he played each year is a bit of a smallish sample. Maybe it would be longer if he was a better player, and actually won a series. He didn't get it done in any of the overtime games he played, did he? McGrady was nonexistant after the first round too, because he was at home. watching on tv. like you and me.

As far as McCullogh and Williams go, I know he played more in the finals than he did, like I said. Shaq is a bad matchup for anybody but slightly better for McCullogh if only for size reasons. I swear to god, Nets announcers were singing Williams praises all throughout the early rounds as the unsung hero of the entire team. He did post the ball up multiple times in multiple games against the pacers and hornets, in the 4th, with McCulloch on the bench, and Kidd either in foul trouble or too spent to take the shot. (one of which they even won) HE made a huge 3-point play against the Celtics in the comeback game when all the rest of the Nets were afraid to shoot.

I discount Martin as a true second option behind Kidd because he is most effective running in space and catching alley oops from Kidd. He can't shoot from outside and he is slightly undersized in the post up game. Jefferson does not create his own shot either, he's a shandon anderson type runner. Van Horn can hit on occasion but he was traded last week precisely bc the Nets were disgusted with his disappearing act in crunch time. Kittles is an all right shooter, but he's not reggie miller or anything.

McGrady has not proven he can get it done when it counts. He didn't do it agains t Charlotte this year. Do you think Kobe couldn't get his team to a first round loss in the playoffs? Further, if you think Kobe is not a clutch player, well, some people will argue that he is among the most clutch players in the NBA. That rebound and tip in vs. the Spurs was pretty well timed, I don't remember McGrady doing that. Further, in 2000, he was averaging 22 a game playing second fiddle to Shaq and won a championship. McGrady, saved from the relentless double and triple teams by Vince Carter, averaged 15 a game and didn't come close.

Finally, the magic lost Mike Miller. The hornets lost Jamal Mashburn, a far more capable scorer than Miller. Well, Baron Davis was able overcome that loss easily. McGrady wasn't able to compensate.

2. LakerMania

LakerMania Member

T-Mac, hit the road jack. You and Kobe are probably the toughest duo to choose between in this contest. But I am afraid your back will eventually break, and there is no doctor on the island to fix it this time.

Answer: We already know, Kobe is a 30-8-5 player in games without Shaq.

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

4. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Whatever the statistics are, Kobe has played w/o Shaq in few games here and there over his career. That's nowhere near the pressure, attention, and wear and tear that you face carrying a team on your back night in and night out for an entire season. So mfclark's right, we still DO NOT KNOW. What's more important is the win-loss record of the Lakers w/o Shaq. To make it more interesting...does putting Kobe Bryant on the Magic instead of McGrady make them any better? Judging by the lack of surrounding talent on that team (not including the oft injured Grant Hill)...I would say no, and if so, not by much.

5. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

6. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

T-Mac. This fool should be a straight-up small forward. He is too damn slow to be playing SG. Just like Pierce.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

8. DJ JFive

DJ JFive Member