1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA star (TMAC) in court over child support from Herald Tribune (Florida)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jsmee2000, Aug 16, 2007.

1. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

article link

NBA star in court over child support

Lawyers for both sides want to close court and its record to the public
    By TODD RUGER

todd.ruger@heraldtribune.com
    SARASOTA -- Basketball star Tracy McGrady of the Houston Rockets spent the past two days in a Sarasota County courtroom battling a Bradenton woman over how much child support he should give her.

Attorneys for Pearl Vega, 35, say McGrady should pay child support for their daughter in line with his NBA lifestyle and $21.6 million annual income.

McGrady's attorneys say in court records that the claim is more about the mother's "desire for a high lifestyle rather than any reasonable needs of a minor child."

Attempts to settle the dispute have failed.

But both sides agreed on one thing Wednesday -- the trial should be held in secret and the court records for the case should be sealed.

They made the joint request to Circuit Judge Donna Berlin after a Herald-Tribune reporter entered the courtroom to watch the testimony.

McGrady's attorney, Mark Sessums, said in court that the case should be kept secret because it includes "extraneous matters" that if released would be "injurious to both parties."

Sessums said the issues include possible trade secrets buried in McGrady's endorsement contracts, and the privacy of the child, who was born out of wedlock in November 2005.

Berlin stopped the trial until she rules on the motion to close the courtroom and the case files.

McGrady's attorneys warn in court documents that even Vega's attorneys said the case could become a media circus. Their requests led a judge to grant a confidentiality order to protect some of his financial information from public view.

McGrady, of Texas, made $21.6 million in 2005 while Vega made $32,971, according to McGrady's financial affidavit filed in the case.

McGrady, 28, a six-time NBA All-Star who twice led the league in season scoring, also has a daughter and son with his wife, CleRenda. He married her in Mexico in September after dating for 10 years, People magazine reported.

He was born in Bartow and once played for the Orlando Magic. He was on the cover of the NBA Live '07 video game and his jersey is among the top sellers in the league.

Last modified: August 16. 2007 4:32AM

2. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Tmac, you the man...............

just joking.

"..... the child, who was born out of wedlock in November 2005."

I do not understand legislation of America, if they are never married, why should Tmac pay her alimony?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hoes using kids as leverage.....

You would think that the NBA players would figure it out, and wrap that rascal.

DD

4. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

1 word - Durex.

$2 only.

5. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

How bout being monogomous? He was with his current wife for the past 10 years supposedly.

6. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

It's not alimony, its Child Support.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

It's not alimony. It's child support. And it is his share of the expenses of raising the child.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No doubt !

My guess is that:

This is why they want to seal the court room.

And anything more than about 2k a month is no longer child support but rather lifestyle for the mom.......

DD

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Biological father is responsible for child support. And that's asumed to be the proportional to the father's income unless there is a court ruling or agreement in both parties.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

When did Tmac and Clerenda get married? Wasn't that in 2005 too?

Me thinks maybe the "baby mama" is the reason why just "being together" wasn't enough at that point! ;)

It's sad how this stuff gets so much media attention, but they (general public) seem to love to see people in miserable situations.

I hope they do keep the records sealed. After so much good basketball news for the team during this summer, I would hate to see that spoiled with something like this becoming the big news.

11. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

The child's mom is going to tell the court: My baby needs some bling bling. :D

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think the lawMakers should figure this out
    NO PARENT SHOULD PAY MORE THAN 50% OF THE CHILD'S SUPPORT

If the mom making 50K a year. . that should be the limit on what the Father pay
    NO ONE should pay more into a household. . than anyone else in the household
    hell . .in some cases folx pay more into the household than EVERYONE IN THE HOUSE hold MAKES COMBINES

Does that seem right to you?

Rocket River

13. daRox

daRox Member

Now we know why McGrady had all those problems...The rumor of he and his wife were fighting probably was true. She found out he had another woman, she yelled and screamed her head off. He decided to marry her after 10 years to show her he wasn't about to leave her for that woman. The next thing you know, alcohol is the answer and he drinks and drinks. Not even allowed to leave the house after work. Not even allowed to visit Clutchfans :( :mad: b**** :mad: :mad:

14. NUMBER1HR

NUMBER1HR Member

Dude, that's exactly what I thought as soon as I read this article. Not about the other stuff you wrote about but about the problems he was having around the all star game in '06. Sucks for him.......

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Yes. As someone who willingly paid child support at 20% of my gross salary for nearly 15 years the thought that my son's welfare was taken care of was very reassuring and worth every penny.

It's your own flesh and blood that you are supporting, NOT the mother.

16. MayoRocket

MayoRocket Contributing Member

I should know better, but I can't help but feel just a bit saddened by this...say it ain't so T-Mac!

17. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Yes, but there are some women that do not use it strictly for their child but for themselves as well. I say all money you receive from child support should go directly to the kid and if it is enough for the child to live a healthy normal life then save the rest in a college fund or something in the child's name.

Unfortunately that is not how it is sometimes but your outlook is a very good one. As long as the child is healthy and your money is helping that child live a good life then who cares where the leftover money goes(if any).

18. EGYPT

EGYPT Member

I wonder if the back spasms got worse with that scenario ;)

19. DaDream

DaDream Member

Tmac I am with you. I am about to start paying 25% of my salary (2 kids) monthly for the next 18 years..............

20. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Its sad for everyone involved that this was made public.

A father has responsibilities to his child, whether he's married or not. Often in this type situation, the mother is dependent on the good graces of the father, which gets sticky with the wife. Having a clear legal document in place to define what that child support is going to be will empower the mother and child, so she doesn't have to constantly beg the father for this or that, and allow father and child to enjoy each other, rather than stay in constant conflict over child support. I agree that a mother can often use it as a method of her own support, but a father should not resent his child from being well taken care of, just as any of his children.

There are consequences of carelessness, but the consequence is not the child, who should be cherished, it's the responsibilities that come with it. If you don't want those responsibilities, you have no business being irresponsible in your sexual habits.

I'm sad for TMac on this, though. I'm sure he's hurting that this is already public, not only for himself, but for his wife, family, and child ... and that doesn't say much good about the mother ... willing to humiliate herself and her child to get what she wants. She could have kept this private. Making it public may help her in the short run, but it will hurt her and her child in so many ways in the long term.

#20 Sherlock, Aug 16, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2007