1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA says Marcus Smart flops were correct calls

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cbs1507, Dec 30, 2017.

1. dlite316

dlite316 Member

As long as the same rules apply to all players I am okay with it.
    Sooner or later NBA will realize bad officiating hurts its brand and I hope sooner that happens.

2. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Am not trying to defend harden because he played like **** that game and he was the main reason we lost...but if someone tell me with straight face that they would've said the same thing if it was LeBron or westbrick then you are an idiot.

J Sizzle and Pen15clubber like this.
  3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I'm not sure though, I just got off of Facebook where I was reading a conversation of a bunch of people saying "I cheer for players, not teams, because players change teams."

I don't belong in whatever world the NBA lives in nowadays. It's an image-driven league, not an purity-driven one.

pippendagimp likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

IF A REF will screw you in the last 10 seconds of a game
    What makes you think they called it straight during the erasing of a 26 point lead?
    Non-Calls . . . . well timed bad calls . . . . .They literally nickle and dime you to death
    Once the game is close . . .they simply went for the jugular and killed the rockets chances

So I really don't want to hear **** about a 26 point lead .. . cause when the Refs are against you . . . No lead is insurmountable

Rocket River

s3ts, Spacemoth, Tfor3 and 5 others like this.
  5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

means nothing into today's nba.

there i finished your sentence for you.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

The travel calls on Boston were make-up calls that the NBA league office had to grant Houston after avoiding the PR nightmare that would have been calling Smart's flops flops. Because if they're flops and they win Boston the game, then HOW DO YOU NOT FINE THE GUY.

In fact, as a repeat offender who has Vlade Divac square in his sights the same way Craig Biggio took down Don Baylor for the HBP title back in the day, how has there not been a stiffer penalty on that guy in the form of suspensions? Even Draymond had to stop kicking people in the balls at some point. Chris Paul was a serial flopper and I haven't felt like he's had an issue with it for about 3-4 years now.

C'mon NBA. Smart is making a mockery of your league. Call him out on it.

#26 Spacemoth, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    bro2044 and slothy420 like this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it's not about smart, but about the marketing narrative w/ kyrie-lebron. BOS is a featured promoted team now to sell a story and pique viewer interest. harden coming into TD center without half his team and stomping on kyrie's celts by 26 on national tv wasn't a very good look for that promotional campaign

bro2044 and slothy420 like this.
  8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Honest question, would you guys prefer a computerized referee that makes the right call everytime, or maybe a robot like tars who you can program to call the truth like 85% of the time instead of humans?

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

2 hour games would last 6 hours. Maybe longer. o_O

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

How would the computer be able to tell the difference from marginal contact (not a foul) vs slightly-less-marginal contact (foul)? Unless you tell all the players to wear pressure sensors everywhere on their body, and be able to program the computer to differentiate, all within the speed of the game, I think this idea is impossible.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe you mean, "it GUARANTEES nothing".. because a 26-point lead means you should the win.

This is BEFORE considering Celtics were 2nb2b (12 games in 17 days) while the Rockets were resting in Boston.

Terrible loss

12. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Yeah, absolutely. I just can't wrap my head around the NBA not making more advances with video replay to get more calls correct, especially in crunch time. The fact that we had a ref step into a passing lane on a game winning possession this season , and the only solution was... "Oh Well, oops. You just lost the game." Is completely unacceptable and at the very least, the rule is in dire need of revision.

I have had so many games spoiled by terrible officiating in crunch time it's just so infuriating. There is absolutely no excuse for not broadening replay challenges to some extent, when blown calls or no-calls directly cause wins or losses.

It's 2017... And the MLB is more advanced with replay challenges than the damn NBA. It's time for some change, that's for sure. It's getting to be a little ridiculous.

13. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Hmm I think it can be simpler than that. Kind of like how Tesla’s system or other autonomous driving systems work, they compile tape and tell the system to copy it, so they will teach the system what looks like a foul and isn’t, or maybe measure each players speed and contact force. Within the next 20 years I guarantee the idea will start to shape up...

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

No way. The calls would be faster. They can watch a play at least three angles, in close up, at once, and they can "blow the whistle" as quickly as the refs on the floor. And bad calls would never decide another game. I would much rather watch a game where I know they're getting it right 99% of the time than what seems lately more like 50% of the time. The way they're calling games this year there's an uncalled foul on almost every drive. And then, oops, time to call it again. And it's random. Why not watch people throw craps? That's random too. I want to see the winning team win and be confident in the result of the game and we have all the technology now. There's no reason not to do this than resistance to changing tradition. Meanwhile, rather often in close games, the wrong teams win.

DonKnock and pippendagimp like this.
  15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem isnt the refs. Yes smart flopped but that's because he knew that Harden was extending his arm out. Is it any different than harden's swinging his arms when a guy reaches in?

The problem is that Harden has to deal with physical defenders without getting frustrated. The problem is that this team needs to get back to playing defense.

And what really pisses me off is seeing smarts Jersey on sale at the bottom of this page.

J Sizzle likes this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Regarding the L2M reports, it always seems there are transgressions benefitting BOTH sides. Like the refs admit the mess ups, but they aren't FAVORING anyone. HP, yeah, it would not surprise me in the least if they go out of their way to make sure there are calls both ways.

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

F the NBA!

18. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Tony Brothers ABSOLUTELY made the CORRECT calls against Harden.

Skip: The first thing I want to say is this game only needed was one ref: Tony Brothers. I'm gonna give him a sitting ovation right now. He did something I thought no ref would ever do. He knows a thing or two. He had the conviction to say BOOM! Offensive foul on Harden, who gets more calls in this league than a 1-800 number. He does. He was getting them all night. He was 15-15 in this game. He leads the NBA in FTA by 54 FTs. For him to have two quick calls against him in crunch time & Tony Brothers, to his credit, right on top of the play, he did not hesitate. BOOM! He threw his body into it. You fouled him. Harden got called twice.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I hate how the NBA rewards flopping. The 2nd one, sure, Harden initiated the contact. The first foul was absolute BS. If Smart doesn't flop, those fouls aren't called and they aren't on the L2M report as missed calls.

s3ts and SuperMarioBro like this.
  20. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

The first call especially was wrong. Smart grabbed the eff outta Harden and was just looking for an opportunity to fall down.

The second one, Harden did get a little overaggressive, but I think he still had a right to that space and didn't do anything egregious to get it. It's why charge/block calls generally give the offensive player the benefit of the doubt. If that was a charge, I think it's a charge far more often when people crab dribble in the post.

Obviously biased, but either way. Super crappy way for the refs to take over and hand Boston the win... especially after missing all those travels.