1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Ref Crawford got gun threat by Tim Duncan and Tony Parker!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by kcplayoffs, Dec 2, 2012.

1. amaru

amaru Member

No that is not what he said. He said right or wrong black culture is closely associated with gang culture.

Which brings me back to what I said before.......define "black culture" and show me how criminal actively is inherent to it.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If the players were white, would the posters' perception change?

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i don't know how to define black culture, but when people in america think of gangs and hip hop, i'm guessing the imagery in their heads overwhelmingly involves black people. you can argue whether or not it should, but i'm not really sure you can argue that it does. the nba, moreso than any of the other major sports, is also associated with black people. put the two together and you get the perception fight the nba has often had on its hands (right or wrong).

and in this instance, i'm not really sure it matters. nor does it really matter that the players are public representatives of the league. i can't imagine someone at a company who turned up in a facebook photo pointing a gun at someone wearing the name tag of their boss would be viewed positively by the higher-ups in their company. at the very least, i suspect they would be talked to.

4. amaru

amaru Member

I'm not trying to make excuses for Duncan and Parker...quite frankly I don't give a damn about either or them or this situation. What I took offense to was somebody suggesting that gang activity is a integral part of 'black culture'. That is not only a blatant lie....but is also racist.

5. Mr. Clutch

If the players were white, people would assume they were just hunting or skeet shooting.

6. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

How, and why did this topic get turned into a debate about race?

7. amaru

amaru Member

A poster said that hip hop/black culture (whatever that is) is too closely affiliated to gang culture.

I called him on his BS....and other posters attempted to show me that I was wrong.

8. Nook

Nook Member

#1 The hip hop culture of the NBA is virtually dead
    #2 We are talking about Tim Duncan, he is about as good a citizen as you will ever find
    #3 It is Halloween and appears spur of the moment and in fun
    #4 if any league has violence/gun issues it is the NFL

People are overreacting. The league should talk to them and nothing more.

9. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

But if I had actually known that, I'd be a Spurs fan.

heh...You got me :)

10. Mr. Clutch

It was Spur of the moment.

Literally.

11. jocar

jocar Member

Meanwhile..... Manu Ginobili...

[​IMG]

12. The Law

The Law Member

Well sounds like half of you are afraid of guns and the other half of you are afraid of black people. And 75% of all the posters are afraid of black people with guns. SMH

In my line of work I've come to learn that anyone with a properly functioning index finger can be a threat when it comes to firearms.

That being said, it's a damn Halloween picture and meant tongue-in-cheek, lets not overreact. I doubt the French guy and the islander who makes a living using bank-shots are truly planning to assassinate Joey Crawford (Although not too many people outside of Joey's family would probably mind) <<<<((((see what I did there, I made a joke. I do not condone the murder of Joey Crawford...especially since Yao is out of the league and Joey can't call his customary offensive foul on him every game)))))

13. MONON

MONON Member

When I 1st saw this photo on a San Antonio news station, I wondered how stupid TD & TP could be to pose for a picture indicating gun violence the week end that an NFL player commits murder & suiside! Considering the Wizards Arenas/Crittenton gun insident a couple years ago & the 250K fine Stern leveled on the Spurs for resting TD & TP along with Manu & Green, I felt that Stern would go so far as to have the Spurs forfit some games. Then I realized that that was a Halloween photo taken about a month ago. Someone posted that photo to the media just for the sensationalism. That's the person that should be punished.

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I am dying to know what Bob Costas thinks about all of this? Hopefully he will fill us in with his opinion on gun control during the next primetime game.

15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Some of you need to go out and get a sense of humor. As much as I dislike the Spurs for all their flopping and whining, this is pure comedic gold...absolutely hilarious!

16. Major

Major Member

What does a sense a humor have to do with anything when looking at how the NBA might respond? :confused: Try taking a picture of yourself pretending to kill your boss or another higher up that you're known to have conflicts with, and send it to everyone in your office. I'm going to guess it's not going to end well in most offices.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Wait.... Time Duncan and Tony Parker are black?

Mind blown.

18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I just realized there is a noose hanging there also lol.

19. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

Chris Brown example is stupid because there was already a past act of violence.. Tim Duncan and TP ever show any form of premeditated aggression towards Crawford aside from disagreeing with his calls which they do with every other ref as well.. stupid yes, and in the extreme case I understand a fine but a suspension?

20. Mr. Clutch

You guys realize people dress up for Halloween, right?