1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Officials

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MIAGI99, May 9, 2009.

1. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Once again NBA officials decide to screw a team over. I know it is Dallas but how in the world do the refs not catch on to the idea that the Mavericks were up three points with six seconds left and clearly trying to foul to prevent a three point shot. Does not make any sense. There needs to be a whole new crop of referees, I'm willing to go through the growing pains with new reffs. Just way too many mistake this post season and appologizing after a game does not make it better and does not change the outcome of a game. Also, to note bennet savadore("the snake") was reffing this game.

2. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

True. Only a couple I'd like to see stay around, or not.....at any rate at least we know it's not a complete "***** Houston" conspiracy. Seems everyone can get shafted nowadays, except Kobe and crew of course. lol

3. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

how in the world, with 5 or 6 hours to analyze the situation, do you not catch on to the idea that they were up 2 with a foul to give and were trying to take the foul, not up 3 and trying to prevent a 3? does not make any sense.

while it was a bad non-call, why would they be trying to "screw a team over." i mean at least in conspiracy theory fantasy land, helping LA or boston makes a little sense for ratings/star power, etc., but the nuggets/mavs series? if anything, they'd help dallas because they're a bigger market, the series would be extended, and they would be more likely to lose to the lakers. i suppose you could argue the cuban angle, but then every time dallas gets a call people argue that cuban's b****ing is getting him calls, so that doesn't really work. it was a bad call. unfortunately, newer, less experienced refs would most likely suck even more. that's just how reffing basketball goes.

4. mnkyman

mnkyman Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again, we need to add a "challenge" system, just like in football. Coach has 3 challenges to use, if they are wrong, they lose a timeout. Or maybe like in tennis, 3 challenges, for every time you are wrong, your are debited a challenge, for every correct one, you stay at your previous amount

5. RareAir

RareAir Member

NBA refs suck...they have absolutely no integrity at all compared to other sports.

What's worse is the league steps in to say that the officials missed that call today. What good is it to acknowledge the ref's mistake after the fact??
    The result won't be changed.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

89 free throws

seriously.

i don't know if they were trying to dictate the style and flow of that game....but they absolutely dictated it.

and then tomorrow night it will be entirely different.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The sad thing is not whether the refs knew the Mavs were trying to foul. The sad thing is the MAVS CLEARLY FOULED MELO TWICE before he shot the ball and NOTHING WAS CALLED. After watching all the touch fouls they call on the perimeter over the last couple years, Melo was pushed/bumped twice before the shot and no call?!? What were the officials thinking out there? THEY CALL 61 fouls in less than 48 minutes and then THEY MISS THE REAL FOUL, THE INTENTIONAL FOUL?!?!?!? How many of those 61 fouls were touch fouls?!?!? Holy Horse S...! If those guys were players in the league, pulling a boneheaded play like that, THEY WOULD BE WAIVED! If a player who was not playing in the game got up off the bench and started cussing out the ref, and started a fight with him unprovoked, that player would be waived! But an official can toss out a player who is sitting on the bench smiling,...............and he gets fined and reinstated!?!?! That is insane!

It is this same inconsistency as the inconsistency of calling fouls depending on what size the players are. Defenders come down and start putting two hands on Yao the minutes he hits the circle area........and it is NEVER CALLED. But yet, if a defender puts two hands on Kobe anywhere on the floor, it is a foul everytime.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'd like to highlight just this point right here.

seriously, how does this happen? that's unbelievable.

9. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

i feel for "maverick fans" and i use that term lightly

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

3rd this. It almost makes my head explode to think about 61 fouls called AND the complete blown non-call in the same game with seconds left.

Question to another poster: How is it "worse" when the NBA acknowledges the mistake? Answer: It isn't. Would you prefer the NBA just keep silent or say the non-call was correct? Doubt it.

11. Yak

Yak Member

I didn't really see the game, so I don't know if it was warranted, but Zaza Pachulia was ejected from the game yesterday for arguing with the refs.

Are they trying to suspend/eject as many people as possible this season?

But they still won't suspend Rondo for virtually punching Miller in the face.

12. Bamushake

Bamushake Member

that was fair Zaza totally lost it after he was called for a blocking foul

13. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

you think a challenge will change a call? look at the ron artest 3 they made a 2 in game 2.. there are ways for refs to maintain a call even after visual evidence.. so a challenge is really obsolete.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

A challenge system would not work on the things that people complain about the most because they are judgment calls, I don't get why people don't understand that. A replay system would not have helped the Mavs yesterday on that last call.

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Did Zaza already have a technical earlier in the game because I find it strange that he was ejected for that.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

He definitely deserved the ejection because he totally lost it after being properly called for a foul. Mike Woodson didn't even complain about it. You know something is up when you see Josh Smith screaming at a teammate to calm down. Even Zaza said, "Maybe I overreacted".

Even if it was a blown call, the refs would have had to toss him.

17. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i honestly can't believe so many people are trying to blame the refs for the mavs losing.... absolutely ridiculous!

did people even watch the game ????

the mavs blew it, pure and simple.

MAKE A FREE THROW

dont let melo get a DUNK in 3 seconds when you're up 4 with 31 seconds to go.

when trying to intentionally foul, don't just reach for the ball, then put your hands as to signal you did not foul and quit on the play when you did not even hear a whistle because you figured melo wouldn't make that shot.

mavs are just choke artists and i am sick and tired of everyone blaming the refs every time their team loses.

18. Shaud

Shaud Member

After that the Hawks never rebounded from it. He has to keep his composure in that case. I was at a bar and the sound wasn't on so originally I thought he threw a punch at Joe Smith or something.

19. Eddie5ball

Eddie5ball Member

People need to stop blaming it on the refs. The mavericks made up all the drama. Dallas Drama Queens is their new name to me. Money can buy Cuban all the tissue in the world he wants. Move on!

20. Pocket Rockets

pretty hard to not blame the refs when the nba announced the refs actually did make a mistake