1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA (not so) Green Week

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 00rocketgirl, Apr 3, 2011.

Tags:
  1. 00rocketgirl

00rocketgirl Contributing Member

Let's take a look at the Rockets Green Week game tonight.

30 players wore what appeared to be shirts made from recycled material, but 10,000 fans received giveaway t-shirts not printed on recycled material.

A few players wore green sweat bands, with green dye being the worst dye for the environment.

Last year's hideous forest green goal-padding that they manufactured just for Green Week, which was wasteful to begin with, was not recycled and used again this year.

The other 2 campaigns- the Be Fit and the Aids campaigns that the NBA did earlier in the season, did not use what appeared to be recycled material on their warmup shirts. Why confine that only to Green Week?

For more information about green dye:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/arts/05iht-design5.html?_r=1
    And this blog (from last year's green week) is a must read:
    http://www.asternwarning.com/201004...tyle-alert-green-week-style-or-substance.html

I'm not an environmental freak, I just can't stand when businesses, organizations, and companies try to capitalize on the Go Green campaigns yet don't really commit to it.
    Thoughts?

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

It's just a huge PR stunt to appease the environmentalists. Just like they have Latin nights. I mean putting "Los" or "El" in front of your name doesn't make it any more Hispanic. And wearing a green headband doesn't make you any more of an environmentalist. :eek:

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

So, that's what's caused Jordan Hill to have a bad game. Green dye on his headband going to his brain.

4. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

You got it backwards, the headband was white, it turned green after Jordan put it on.

5. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if thats the cause, he must've been wearing it since being drafted to the nba.

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He was doing better of late, though. There was a stretch (around the time of Hayes' injury in early January) when he was playing ahead of Patterson and was just brutal-- he would come into the game, blow a rotation resulting in a dunk, turn the ball over, then immediately get bullied around the basket. Lately, he's had much less of these moments and I no longer feel a sense of dread and impending doom whenever Jordan enters the game.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Agreed, very hypocritical. Hopefully they go black next year.

8. zerhoe

zerhoe Member

At work, so didn't get to read the articles, but felt I had to chuck my $0.02 in.

It is ironic. But more precisely does the PR/Marketing spend equate to greater awareness resulting in net gain for the environment?

9. today

today Contributing Member

I really enjoyed the post-game celebration where all the players went out and humped trees. Did anyone else see this segment on NBA TV tonight? Cut the NBA some slack, they are really committed to this cause...

Not serious.... just felt like posting something humorous.

1 person likes this.
  10. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I think if you do a campaign, you should do, more than just one thing.
    to see you are committed to that, at least during your campaign.

I dont know, if they have it in the toyota center, but they should have different trash cans for different types of trash, if they do that, then its good, another thing to the cause.

11. 00rocketgirl

They did some recycle drive recently at the Toyota Center. Maybe last Thursday? Yao Ming made an appearance.

I think I recall seeing some plastic bottle separate bins than the trash cans. It's rare to find a bottled soda at the Toyota Center, although a few carts will sell them, but the water comes in plastic bottles. Most of the concessions are just trash and non-recyclable. They also have a "green team" where a group of kids will wear bright green non recycled cotton shirts and walk around and collect bottles. I've never seen them once come by section 113 or 114 though. Also, paper towels are the only option in the bathroom, although that's all I'd use if there was a hand drier, unless it was one of those mega hand driers that actually works.

The giveaway t-shirt thing is what really got me on Green Week. At least they handed out some size L ones (which is rare but this t-shirt could've been designed by t-mobile). Giveaway t-shirts are so wasteful because XL is NOT one size fits all. I can only have so many sleep shirts. It would be more beneficial to the Rockets as well as the environment for them to have lines at the front for S M L XL XL. First come first serve. The Rockets could benefit from advertising Noche Latina or Opening Night (both t-shirt giveaway nights this year) better if they made the shirts in different sizes so people would wear them and advertise for them. All of the giveaway t-shirts end up in Goodwills. I know because I frequent those.
    The design of the t-shirt also plays an important part as to whether or not people will wear them again or donate them. I was impressed by tonight's design because in the past, on Breast Cancer Night in to 08-09 season, t-mobile sponsored a pink breast cancer shirt. On the front was only a giant t-mobile logo, and on the back the Rockets logo, and a pink ribbon the size of less than a centimeter. T-mobile did a good job of keeping their logo small tonight.
    I know it's common that giveaway t-shirts are XL, but why not change it up?

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think that was an argument that could be made when environmentalism was still a fringe thing. I don't think it's an idea hurting for awareness at this point -- it's mainstream. More symbolic spend is probably not a net gain.

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

David Stern has already put out a hit on the writer, and has his eye on all of you now.

14. 00rocketgirl

Agreed. I think the average person has already made up their mind at this point whether or not they are going to make lifestyle changes to better the environment since the Go Green campaigns started to spread across America and we started to see the sale of reusable bags sold in grocery stores.

I don't know how long the NBA's Green campaign has been going on, but it's been at least 4 years now. The NBA has a yearly obligation to the campaign because it would be a negative image for the NBA to stop the campaign no matter how insignificant the message is now. "NBA no longer supports going green" or "The NBA hates the environment" could be a headlines if they don't.

15. rju1986

rju1986 Member

[​IMG]
    Ahh.. Godzilla!

16. Stepping Razor

I see what you did there.;)

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

T-Will wore patchouli cologne.