1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Lockout Reaction Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by opticon, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

The only thing he's afraid of in regards to decertification, is that it would probably lead to another 3 months of court battles, the nba will win, as the courts will simply rule exactly the same thing they did for the nfl, ie "you can not use decertification to circumvent labor law and force it into anti trust, go back into negotiations, it's nothing to do with us", not to mention dissolving the union after the cba expires means they couldn't even file it for some time.

But this would happens months after, and months after is more months of basketball lost for no reason but to satisfy a bunch of idiots, possibly the whole season for no purpose than to be told "what you did was pointless".

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I thought the issue was about the NBA not negotiating in good faith, not the union. Which is it?

It isn't just about what Stern said today, it's the NBA's behavior from the start. They clearly aren't afraid of the union decertifying. I'm not a Stern fan at all, but he wasn't double-talking today.

Part of me wants the union to decertify so their legal case against the NBA can be blown to bits. But I'd hate to miss the whole season.

3. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

What lockout?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

That's fine. It is very tempting to do that; you're not the only one.

just so you know...The reason many of us like that thread to be clutter free is so we can read all the news in one place and not have to click ... Next Page...Next Page...Next Page ad nauseum to get past the debates that are largely repeats of debates in other threads. Less clutter also helps the poster of news more easily know whether their news is already posted.

but as DallasThomas said, oh well, a digest of news only is not too realistic unless Clutch starts the thread.

1 person likes this.
  5. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Here is the bottom line. The players will not get a better deal than the one that is being offered so what is the point of not accepting ? The players pride and ego is getting in the way of common sense if u ask me.

6. Raven

Raven Member

I don't think most rank and file players want to lose a season and are going to push hard to take the deal.

My prediction is that camp opens next week.

7. opticon

opticon Member

Both NBA and the NBAPA filed grievances with the NLBR.

8. heypartner

The NBA filed a petition first as a race to claim home court/jurisdiction. They filed in New York; the Union wants California.

One is very conservative and one is very liberal. Guess which is which. lol

Yes, the part about ending the lockout through federal court system cut and dry, as in the Brady case. That said, the ruling of the Brady case (I just read it for the first time and read several legal opinions about it) left open the possibility of an antitrust case via the Labor Board. Brady was not a slam dunk decision.

The court specifically did not rule on whether nonstatutory labor exemptions would hold up in antitrust case, should the season be lost. The precedent applied by the Federal Court to say they are not allowed to enjoin a lockout in the middle of a labor dispute is not the same as the antitrust case -- the door was still open on that.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I know, but only the NBPA's grievance supports your scenario on how decertification can supposedly change the balance of power. From the very start, the NBA's grievance had little chance and both sides knew that and is basically irrelevant.

10. heypartner

Not so sure it is irrelevant as it established jurisdiction. I figured that was their only reason.

The NBA filed with the 8th Circuit Court, the "most Republican US Court of Appeals in the nation." And the same one that decided Brady v NFL. I don't that think is irrelevant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Court_of_Appeals_for_the_Eighth_Circuit

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Gotcha. But besides trying to establish a favorable jurisdiction for the NBA, the case itself was pretty much nonsense, right?

12. opticon

opticon Member

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    Billy Hunter tells @daldridgeTNT on NBATV that, as relayed by Paul Pierce, "close to" 200 players in process of signing decert "cards"

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    To reiterate: 30 percent of NBA workforce must sign petition to force decert vote. Then up to 45 days of lag time before actual decert VOTE

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    Sources close to decert movement confirm they've collected signatures this week but also know WEDS deal-or-no deal deadline takes precedence

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    If there's no deal by Wednesday and deadline is not extended, then you can safely assume decert petition WILL be filed soon thereafter

ESPNSteinLine Marc Stein
    But even if decert petition IS filed, union and league could/would continue to negotiate during those 45 days while NLRB sets up vote

It looks like the players are shoving their chips into the middle of table.

If the owners don't bridge the gap they are crazy. Systems issues are not worth going to court over.

Players have given up enough economically to make up for almost all of the losses.

13. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Okay now it is on the owners.

The owners need to give the players SOMETHING system wise. Something so Fisher and Hunter can claim they won and we can see some NBA ball in December.

Please keep the likes of Sarvar and Jordan out of the negotiation room.

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The players have accepted the 50/50 deal, why can't the owners agree to letting the have a say in future development?

The owners are being complete asses.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

But it would have been so much easier if the players hadn't rejected 50/50 out of hand a month ago. Where things are now is where they should have been in mid-October. I didn't expect the players to give in right away, but their foot-dragging has made thing worse.

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, you're right, the process getting here was messed up and ugly.

But once the numbers are where the owners say they need to be it shouldn't be punitive at this point.

There is too much other business such as restaurants, hotels, and temporary employees that need the wages to get screw the deal because of how the players went about getting to the numbers.

17. McGradyPwns

McGradyPwns Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

Classic.

19. opticon

opticon Member

If the players vote no to the current proposal I will be convinced they are going to mat.

If the players are just worried about not missing checks this deal will be the easy out they have been waiting for to just finish this.

If this deal gets turned down we will get to see how tough these so called Hawk owners really are when they have a potential court case on there hands.

20. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

Players need to accept this offer. It will not get any better.

Don't believe it? Just ask the NHL players.