1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Live 09 Demo(XBox Live Marketplace)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LouisianaRocket, Sep 4, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Louisiana Rocket, while I don't disagree with your opinions 100% of the time, you come off very annoying on this board. I'm not trying to offend you at all and I apologize if I do, but you're relatively new to the board and you yell in every thread I see. It's okay to have a contrary opinion to the majority...it's actually a good thing, but you come off almost seeming like you're trying to stir the pot and be outlandish and constantly post so many times the same thing. Just my opinion...I'm sorry for being rude.

As for the 2k8 Live thing...I love and hate both games. I'm still waiting for a great great great basketball game with rotating defenses, realistic double teams, non-ridiculous lead passing, and real life Salary Cap implementation (I know that is hard, but it's okay to hope).

I'm currently playing 2k8 and I'm doing an Association (Dynasty Mode) with the Rockets. I'm in year 2010 when LeBron and Chris Bosh opt for Free Agency. I'm the ONLY TEAM under the salary cap. Every other team has at best the Mid-Level Exception starting at $5.35 million per year. I have $17 million in cap space (I sign and traded T-Mac for draft picks to make a run a LeBron). So I low-ball offer both LeBron and Bosh for about $8 million per season knowing that no other team can offer more. Both of their agents won't negotiate with me and they end up signing with other teams.

Here's the catch. Their new contracts start at $15 million!!!!!!!!! The computer glitches won't allow Players to sign with your team at far below market value (winning championships only give you a little bit of a discount). The problem is the Market Value should be set by the MARKET!, but instead allows players to turn you down and automatically assigns them to other teams at contracts to shouldn't exist.

I love these games. And I hate these games.

2. LouisianaRocket

ok what about Online team play, what about online team play leagues.... that alone is enough for me to buy the game. Have you played Online Team Play on NBA Live 08? That future is truly original, and one of the best futures I ever seen on a sports game

3. LouisianaRocket

How am I yelling? I don't recall typing in all caps... am I annoying to you? Good, because you annoy me too ;)

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Just played the demo, I will say that its better than their past versions. Although, that isn't exactly saying much. Graphics look good, but gameplay wise, I still think 2K8 plays better. All their animations look generic, you can barley tell that there are signature moves and shots. At times, I felt I wasn't even controlling my player on offense.

I also found it funny how the opening before the game is exactly like 2K. The part where you go from the locker room to the stadium. I do like their new 365 feature but I'm really interested if they actual are going to update everyday. They hardly update their rosters in the past, so it will be interesting to see. But I can't say that I'm blown away like how others are putting this game.

5. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

No. I'm assuming you're talking about the 5v5 play. That's completely useless if the gameplay is crap.

6. LouisianaRocket

From what the producers are saying, yes the 365 will be updated every single night. And they haven't released everything about Online Team Play this year, but from what it sounds like is that each team will be able to pick their own players. so, you and your buddies will be able to pick your favorite players to bring into Online Team Play. I dunno if they are still going to do that, but I remember the producers talking about in a live chatroom a few months back.

7. Chief Rocka

Chief Rocka Rookie

Here is the thing, I am winning this Demo by 20, but I don't feel like I am doing it. Is it me thats dribbling the ball? Because the game feels so canned.

One aspect of NBA 2K8 that I disliked was the addition of a few too many canned animations. I like the feeling of control in every single thing I do on the court. Since 05, NBA Live has always had that user friendly canned animation style that is better for the casual basketball gamer, but I can't stand it.........

Example: I have it 9 straight 3's with Ray Allen........and counting.....

8. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

9. LouisianaRocket

yeah 5v5 is what i'm talking about. And the game play looks good to me, no more cheating from crappy animations. Like I said before, I am one of the better players at Live 08, and this demo sells me. It is kind of awkward playing the game, but after a few runs, I got better at setting up my plays and running my ISO's that I run on 08. the Pick and roll system is million x better then on live 08, and it seems like they got the majority of the bugs worked out. Only thing that I didn't like about it is that the commentary is the same from last years. But overall, this game is going to be damn good. IMO of course.

10. Ikorose

Ikorose Member

More on this demo....

I don't feel like I'm in control of my jumpshots. They release way to quick. I like to get my shot off at the peak of the jump. It feels as if though everyone has Brent Barry's shot.

Switching players(on defense) is a nuisance. I always use direct switching(RB in Live) and half the time I can't get my switch to box out or rebound.

Defense is awful. Sure I can play D in this game, but it lacks control. Sometimes I can't even play a guy up close, and in the times I do, I can't back off when I want to. The shot blocks are a mess.

11. LouisianaRocket

Live 08 wasn't canned at all.... matter of fact Live was more freelance than 2k8 because you could tie in your dribbles... Although I do agree that you do not have as much freedom on this demo than you do on Live 08. But still Live 08 was more controller friendly than 2k8 was, and that is a fact. but 9 straight 3's? I couldn't even hit 4 in a row and I tried since starting the demo up, maybe I just suck at timing the shot, but it is much much harder to hit 3's on the demo than it is on NBA Live 08... if you have Live 08, I'll show you all kinds of glitch shots that go in no matter who or how many people are covering you.

12. LouisianaRocket

are you holding the help defense button? if you are, you won't be able to move until you release it(Left Trigger). try holding down the right analog when in front of the person you are guarding, but be careful because if you judge the wrong way the cpu will kill you with a ankle breaking move. Also to guard a player tight you have to actually goto into the menu and make them guard the player tight or lose or medium. that should help you on defense. I was running the 1-3-1 zone and 3/4 man and I was playing beautiful defense ... I can actually play defense better on this demo than I can on live 08. the defense is much much much much more improved. And for the help defense, try running some trap zones or the 2-1-2 zone, you should get alot of helpside D coming your way.

13. LouisianaRocket

If I came off as a jackass to anyone or offended anyone in this thread, it wasn't my intentions...sometimes the way things are typed don't have the expression as it would if you were saying it. Kim I was just joking with ya homie, so my apologies if I came off like a jackass or whatever.

14. LoveRoxHateJazz

My defense is scoring. The only way you can hang with me is by keeping up with me offensively. I play defense, but it's unnecessary after the 1st quarter. :D

I like both. Other than NBA Live 06/07, the series has been pretty good. Both have different styles that keep me playing.

15. Chief Rocka

Chief Rocka Rookie

Well Live 08 was just dick cheddar...... Not canned? Are you for real?

16. LouisianaRocket

besides the shots, what was canned about it? it surely wasn't dunks or dribbling.

17. Chief Rocka

Chief Rocka Rookie

The dunks were ridiculous. When you can dunk the ball on every single possesion with 3 guys underneath the basket, thats a canned animation.....

18. LouisianaRocket

play me, and I'll show you it's not... matter of fact, you will be lucky to get a dunk on me with 1 guy under the hoop.

19. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you might be the only guy to own NBA Live 2008 lol

20. YourSecretLover

they both suck!

its all about NBA Street!