1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA League Pass has just gone out of their ever-loving mind

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, Sep 1, 2015.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Lazy logic

Tell the NBA to offer an equivalent product, then we'll talk

1 person likes this.
  2. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Repped. Couldn't have said it better.

The only reason (some) people resort to "illegal" content is due to inferior quality legal content. The other people going "illegal" were never gonna buy it regardless.

3. Play07

Play07 Member

So price stayed the same for full season, NICE !!

4. hlcc

hlcc Member

Of course Ballstream don't have to blackout any games, they are illegally streaming every single game anyways, blacking out national games will not make them anymore legal.

5. hlcc

hlcc Member

I would have to guess the black outs are stipulated by the contracts NBA signed with TNT, local networks etc... there's no reason for NBA to go out of their way to black out games for no reason and make their own product inferior.

Also there's no way for NBA to offer an equivalent product to Ballstream, Ballstream will always be cheaper than league pass. Considering they don't have to pay a cent for the content (only have to pay server costs etc), Ballstream's profit margin is probably ridiculously high.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Correct, but where did I say piratebay was illegal or have any content. I actually said they have no user info, since they are free to use.

Ballstreams takes your credit card. So your user info is on their servers. Plus, if they get raided, you won't get reimbursed.

Ballstreams is infringing on ESPN, TNT and ABC copyrights to air NBA games, too. So not just the NBA could get involved.

Do I think it is a risk that they'll get raided, exposing user info for prosecution, not so much? But it isn't risk-free.

7. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

305aussie dollars for my full access renewal.

Well worth it.

8. shastarocket

I understand that the NBA's "hands are tied" regarding blackout stipulations (that THEY negotiated), but that still doesn't change the fact that I can get a superior product from an alternative source.

If the NBA adapts to what the market demands, I guarantee that more people will go legit.

On a related note, I hope Ballmer's attempt at streaming the Clippers games is successful.

9. heypartner

NFL Game Pass has pretty much the very same blackouts, too, right? Nothing will change until the NFL changes, first.

ESPN has live streams of games (if you have cable, too.) I think all of us without cable are outliers that aren't part of "what the market demands." Until the market demands No Cable to stream ESPN, etc, nothing will change. HBO now supports streaming without cable, but I don't see ESPN doing it anytime soon.

My point is: We are targeting our protests at the wrong people if you want change. It's ESPN/TNT and the cable companies, not the NBA that is causing national blackouts.

#49 heypartner, Sep 2, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  10. hlcc

hlcc Member

My point is because Ballstream is illegally stealing the streams and don't have pay a cent for the content, they will always be able to put forward a "superior" product. Even if League Pass somehow get around the blackout games and have identical features to Ballstream, Ballstream will always be significantly cheaper. Their wiggle room with the pricing is huge, I would not be surprised if Ballstream can still be profitable even if they cut their prices by 1/2 or more.

Actually is Ballstream just "restreaming" league pass anyways? I had Ballstream a couple of years ago, and I remember in one game I watched somebody at Ballstream accidentally changed the channel on on their DirectTV

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is cheaper than going to 2 games with a family of 4.

DD

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

they're retransmitting local broadcasts, a lot of the time its directtv, but it is other providers, some they don't have which is why some ames don't have both broadcast teams.

And what they're doing isn't illegal no matter how many times you want to say illegally, and really they have higher overheads than league pass, league pass isn't priced to cover costs, its priced to maximize profits, ballstreams would be profitable if it charged about 70%, league pass would be profitable if it charged 20%

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Why do you have illegal in quotes?

14. burnshroom

burnshroom Member

Because I don't think that all the content is illegal on torrents. In some cases it's some peoples only means to see the content.

I don't even think the act of torrenting it illegal. When companies go after people to prosecute it's the sharers of the content.

15. shastarocket

Hot off the presses! ;)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">All streamed NFL games on CBS, including Super Bowl 50, will be available for free and will not require authentication. • <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%24CBS&amp;src=ctag">$CBS</a></p>&mdash; CNBC Now (@CNBCnow) <a href="https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/638838385121980416">September 1, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Definitely a step in the right direction

16. heypartner

Yep! That's awesome. If NBC does that with football, streaming with no cable required, maybe ABC will do that with NBA.

And sources say, ESPN was not available for comment.

17. bobrek

By 'All' they mean all of the games they stream, which will only be a handful over the course of the season:
    http://qz.com/492910/cbs-will-strea...free-this-season-no-tv-subscription-required/

18. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

When I was growing up - at times there was no NBA (late 80's - early 90's) on TV. Had to read the occasional score in the paper, usually a couple of days later.

Mid 90's one condensed game a week (into an hour).

Then in the late 90's through to now, cable TV offers about 2-3 games a week on average.

Given the regular costs of cable TV, essentially just to watch 2 NBA games a week, I find 300 bucks for a whole season - every game on demand - to be an absolute bargain.

Last season was the first I got NBA LP and I will be renewing every year.

19. bobrek

So, it's OK for me to knowingly buy a stolen diamond as long as I was not the one to steal it?

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Ah I see, because theft doesn't cost the product price to go up. Got it.

Like I said, be an adult, pay for the content you use. You know what's worse than stealing the content? Rewarding the jackasses who steal the content with money.