1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Heritage Week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Dec 11, 2007.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's some good stuff on NBA Hertage week.
    Here's an article on the race for ROY for 1984. Look how blessed this organization to have 3 heroes here.

http://www.nba.com/heritageweek2007/rookierankings8485.html

Overall Rankings - Race to ROY

1. Michael Jordan, G, Chicago

G MPG PPG RPG APG SPG BPG FG% 3P% FT%
    22 36.2 24.9 5.2 4.1 2.5 1.5 .498 .250 .839
    Drafted: 3
    You think Portland fans aren't checking the boxscores in their Oregonian every morning and cursing Jordan's line after plentiful line? Imagine the possibilities of Clyde Drexler and Jordan on the court at the same time ...

2. Akeem Olajuwon, C, Houston
    [​IMG]

22 33.2 19.0 11.6 1.4 1.1 2.5 .507 .000 .586
    Drafted: 1
    What more could you want from a No. 1 pick? Akeem "The Dream" is averaging a healthy double-double and swatting 2.5 blocks per game to boot. The 7-0 Olajuwon has combined with the 7-4 Ralph Sampson to create one of the most formidable frontlines in the West.

3. Charles Barkley, F, Philadelphia
    [​IMG]
    20 26.4 12.9 9.0 2.0 1.0 1.1 .477 .000 .723
    Drafted: 5
    Sixers fans can thank Bobby Knight for lighting a fire under Barkley's considerable rump when he left him off the '84 Olympics squad. "The Round Mound of Rebound" looks slimmed down from his days at Auburn and could be the key piece to get Moses, Dr. J and Co. back to The Finals.

4. Mel Turpin, C, Cleveland

19 32.3 13.1 7.2 0.9 0.4 1.5 .495 .000 .737
    Drafted: 6
    There's a lot to like about Turpin, as in his scoring and rebound averages as well as his respectable percentages from the field and the free throw line, but there's also a lot of Turpin to like, as in he's listed at 6-11, 240 pounds and has the nickname "Dinner Bell Mel."

5. Vern Fleming, G, Indiana

21 26.9 11.6 4.1 2.3 0.9 0.1 .430 .000 .736
    Drafted: 18
    Fleming is the steal of the draft so far, carrying over his success with the University of Georgia and the Olympic team to the Pacers. Playing the point, he's found two easy targets in Clark Kellogg and Herb Williams. With Indiana just 5-16, it's all a learning experience for Fleming.

6. Otis Thorpe, F-C, Kansas City
    [​IMG]

19 17.6 9.4 5.6 1.0 0.4 0.3 .534 .000 .627
    Drafted: 9
    Like Fleming and the Pacers, Thorpe and the Kings stumbled out of the gates and have a 4-15 record. The 6-10 forward out of Providence has showed signs of life when he's played, but is currently behind LaSalle Thompson and Mark Olberding in Kansas City's big man rotation.

7. Sam Perkins, F, Dallas

21 25.3 8.2 6.1 1.8 0.5 0.8 .469 .250 .818
    Drafted: 4
    While his younger UNC teammate Michael Jordan is getting most of the attention this year, Perkins is quietly putting together a solid campaign. A quiet campaign seems about right for a guy who never seems rattled on the court and plays the game with a laid-back demeanor.

8. John Stockton, G, Utah

22 20.3 7.0 1.4 6.2 1.6 0.1 .479 .333 .736
    Drafted: 16
    Stockton is the "Little Point Guard That Could" as he beat the odds to become the first NBA player ever out of tiny Gonzaga University in Spokane, Wash. If you project his assists per game average over 48 minutes, you get a gaudy 14.7 average.

9. Jay Humphries, G, Phoenix

23 25.2 9.1 1.5 4.6 1.0 0.1 .464 .286 .813
    Drafted: 13
    Humphries has filled in admirably for injured All-Star Walter Davis who is out with torn ligaments in his left knee, but the Colorado rookie's 9.1 points per game average is still 10.9 points off what Davis was putting in last season.

10. Alvin Robertson, G, San Antonio

21 18.5 8.0 3.1 3.7 1.6 0.2 .482 .333 .735
    Drafted: 7
    Robertson does a little bit of everything on the court, as you can tell by his stat line, but it's his defense that puts him in the top 10. The 6-3, 185-pound muscle commodity is a tenacious on-ball defender.

2. tinman

Supporting Member

http://www.nba.com/heritageweek2007/

Come on guys, vote on the poll! suppport your team!

Which team participating in Heritage Week should switch back to its retro jerseys permanently?
    Golden State Warriors 43%
    Philadelphia 76ers 25%
    Houston Rockets 19%
    Detroit Pistons 13%

Total Responses: 4454

3. matty101

matty101 Member

Man that was an amazing class of rookies. Its amazing how easy Jordan made the transition from Collage to the NBA. He made a bigger impact his first season! On the site i saw somewhere he dropped 35 in his 3rd careers game and then 45 in his 9th or something like that.

Guy was a freak. :eek:

Olajuwon wasnt bad either :D

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Wow, EVERYONE on Clutchfans needs to vote Houston for this. How awesome would that be if we went back?

Should we make a new thread on would you go back to the old jerseys?

5. Madmax89

Madmax89 Member

Everyone vote for us to keep our retro permanent . Check out the nba store, they have bas azz retro Rockets shirts and clothes

6. Madmax89

Madmax89 Member

Ya you should. I think we should go with a new style but based on the retro theme. Same with logo.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

This is shizzzzznnnittzz!!!
    [​IMG]

8. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

This looks like a regular poll to me? Are they actually going to force the fan's choice to revert back?? I'd love the old jerseys today but I'm skeptical that the NBA would do this. Unless I'm missing something???

9. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Is that a legit vintage article or something written to look like one? Pretty cool.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Why is Detroit even on this poll? They basically already have their classic jerseys.

Golden State and Philly's uniforms are both atrocious as well, along with the Rockets. Sadly, I'm sure Less is content to make money off of both the classic and new uniforms/logo/etc.

11. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Maybe they mean the green ones they wore during the Grant Hill era.

I wanna see the Rockets break out with the blue pinstriped jerseys again.

12. Madmax89

Madmax89 Member

Probably just a regular poll, but at least lets show we want ours changed. I don't think the 76'ers or warriors are changing. Didn't the sixers just change theirs for this year? Basically minor changes? They need a new logo for sure, that thing is ugly. The warriors imo is one of the best overall theme. Colors, court, jerseys. I think they all look great. The Rockets on the other hand, i think our our logo and home jerseys are hideous. Our away looks pretty clean but i would prefer to go with a complete re-do of our jerseys using the retro championship days theme and colors.

I was just wondering, but is Dallas the one team to have an alternate jersey completely different from their actual jerseys? You know? The green one p.diddy made? Most teams just have alternate colors for their alternate jerseys right?

13. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I actually like the current jerseys better. Golden State needs to permanently switch to the City jerseys.

14. shady1

shady1 Contributing Member

where can i get this shirt?!?!?? :eek: