1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[NBA Hangtime Blog] Is it the start, or not, of real Linsanity?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Oct 12, 2013.

1. roxxy

roxxy Member

you don't see why it is necessary to have a good half court PG? Really? In the post season teams are going to slow us down and force us to play in the half court because very few teams can keep up with us in the up tempo game so therefore having a good half court pg is essential. Do you see where I am coming from now?

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Lin as a Knicks starter vs. last year as Rocket

18.2ppg/7.7apg vs. 13.4/6.1apg

Average of that would be 15.8ppg/6.9apg. Are you saying Lin will definitely go over? That he'll put up 16+/7+ numbers next year?

3. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Take it to the trade ideas thread dude. If you want to trade Lin for a good halfcourt PG, this isn't the thread for that.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

No. The PG who runs the best half court offense should be the finisher.

5. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

15.8 ppg / 6.9 apg as a 3rd / 4th option is elite.

6. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

that is true....that would probably put him in the top 10 or 11 among all PGs, but i don't see that happening with all the touches d12 and the beard will have. realistically he will probably have similar numbers as last year

7. roxxy

roxxy Member

That person can't start and finish games?
    What?! Where did I say anything about trades.

8. D-rock

D-rock Member

But it was an ugly start to the game. Rockets looked out of sync first 5 minutes or so.

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yeah. It's pretty ridiculous to think that someone has an agenda if they say Lin is more likely to be under 15.8/6.9 on the season. In 2013, there were only 8 players that went over that above mark. The only non-superstars on that list were DWill, John Wall, and Jrue Holliday. All 1st options for their respective teams.

Even if I think Lin will play at Linsanity level this year, I would still think he won't reach that level due to the players around him.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

He can. He just doesn't have to.

11. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

Really? Kardashians? Chilla? So condescending this dude. Some people you just can't reach, couldn't he look at things from other people's perspective? What did people do to you??? Some people don't have the rights to speak up for themselves???

So since this action with a bad timing happened, and some people are upset, all that isn't true anymore? Or does it have to be the only thing that happens? Who dictates it?

What the hell does that mean? Worshipping? Lin is god now? He represents the people, it's not worship. So Lin's story started with race and it's not his fans who started it. Bill Russell was race-driven, should he apologize?
    The truth might be etc etc. Well, the truth is that it might be bad. Way to only point out Lin's scoring ability but not his passing ability. Why be so biased? Where does this come from? Race-driven?
    No need to elaborate, someone else has done it. Really sounds like copy and paste from this forum.
    Most likely???!!! What the heck???!!! Why? (again, no need to elaborate, someone else has done it.)
    I thought he became healthy, he had learned from a year of experience and he had worked extremely hard at his game, pushing himself, therefore he got better. Oh, now, I know, he lowered the expectation therefore he has improved. Frigging bullcrap! Where does this come from?
    It's true but it's also true for every player in the league. I have never heard it mentioned in public media. Where does this come from? Race-driven?
    This is pretty outrageous. So condescending. Well, but as Jeremy himself has noted, "I'll always have haters." This guy is most likely one of them. Of course, if he gets paid by someone to write something like this it's a different matter. It would actually make more sense.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

I totally agree with you guys. Anyone who tells a person to "be himself and not try to be more" is a condenscending a-hole. I suggest you guys write to the person who made the following remarks about Jeremy Lin because this guy obviously hates Jeremy Lin.

This LOH needs to get blasted for trying to make Lin seem like he should be himself. What a condenscending jerk.

quote from Lin's interviews spoken by LOH Jeremy Lin.

13. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

Of course not, that's ridiculous to say he'd get 16+/7+ as a 3rd or 4th option. He won't average that, nor should he if the team is running balanced and Harden and Howard and the rest are getting fed.

Nor does he need to get Linsanity stats. But I believe he might be more than capable of 13.4/6.1apg.

The writer discussed his full season stats from last year, which included the injury recovery period where his leg was weak. And the writer discussed his linsanity stats. I take issue with using those two data points instead of 2 more reasonable ones.

If I were to pick two data points for projecting his future development, I'd look at his post-Linsanity Knicks stats with Woodson. And then take his post-Allstar break Rocket stats. Those two statlines would give a better guide to where he'll be in the future, rather that the two guides the writer discussed.

14. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

It's not the "be yourself" part that is condescending. It's the "don't try to be more" part that's condescending. And that is not part of his quotes.

15. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Hmmmmm.

I know its only pre-season, and its only two games, but our boy did put up points - assists - rebounds of 11 - 4 - 3 in 20 minutes against New Orleans and 14 - 5 - 6 in 24 minutes against Indiana. Not a stretch of the imagination to expect he could put up 16 points 7 assists in 35 minutes of play. I mean... could it be that difficult to just get 1 more shot and 2 more assists in 10 minutes? :)

Ultimately, I personally am not rooting for Lin to pull a Linsanity again even if he is fully capable (and healthy) of doing so (except if Harden gets injured *touch wood* with which, yeah, he needs to be Linsane). I am however, rooting for him to actually compete for the "Best Backcourt In The League" title with Harden. I think that's a more prestigious accolade to have in the big picture of things :p

16. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Why are you putting words in my mouth.

I said specifically that the Rockets offense would only really need a half-court PG if they were forced to play half-court offense because of good opponent defense, or the Rockets are in crunch time and end of game period.

Other than that, the Rockets don't really have a need to start a half-court PG because the Rockets offensive philosophy is the opposite of half court offense.

17. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

We want Harden to have energy for defense. We saw last year what a Harden heavy offensive scheme leads to. When Lin is the primary ball handler, Harden is much more efficient and the team is much better for it.

18. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

The Rockets were anything but out of sync for the first 5 minutes against the Pacers.

19. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

+1

Be yourself and be free that's great. But be yourself and not try one's hardest to improve, um......not so great in sports.

20. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

I agree Lin will makes Howard better, the Rockets need to put their best team on the floor.

I have always watched Lin's defense close since he came here because I thought he was going to be a bad defender. That isn't the case he is a pretty good defender, the thing that we all know Beverley excels in is the on the ball pressure. I like Beverley coming off of the bench because when he comes in it changes the tempo of the game the way a good scorer coming in off of the bench would. I don't have a problem with Mchale trying whatever in the preseason but in the end I really think Lin should be the starter.