1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA GM's select Harden as top SG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gatsby, Oct 22, 2013.

1. rokit

rokit Member

GSW (Harden for Thompson) and Wizards (Harden for Beal) passed on him for sure... but apparently there was a lot more

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id...-trade-james-harden-houston-rockets#footnote1

2. x86zibit

x86zibit Member

I think Harden is obviously a great player. But is he the last shot kind of player? His offensive moves seemed pretty limited in the CONTEXT of one-on-one. It's either the step-back to his right, the left drive layup, or the step-back three. He isn't fast enough or jump high enough in his shot to create something when he's smothered by a great defender. Obviously the only person that can do all this consistently is Kobe (and Durant since he's so big), but I really wonder about Harden's scoring ability if a great defender (LBJ, paul george, kawahi) is put on him in the playoffs.

3. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

4. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Reading the comments on espn boards about harden being a top 5 player didnt go so well with the people. Im sensing only the Clutchfans and the GM's of the NBA think Harden is special.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah GM's are biased towards harden :rolleyes:

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Completely.

Mentioned Michael Jordan. Check
    Mentioned a Laker even though isn't tied to the necessary facts of the article. Check and Check
    Completely glossed over that Howard was top center again, his acquisition was biggest this offseason, Houston made the best moves, Howard is best defender, and best interior defender because it puts the Lakers in a bad light. Check
    These comments are completely in jest as ESPN was just reporting the highlights of the survey and not dressing up opinion as fact. Check

7. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Well considering the fact that the ESPN comments section tends to lend itself to people with negative IQs, and NBA GMs are paid a lot of money to assess NBA talent I am quite happy with their respective assessments.

8. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

It's a nice honor, but in the end these are just opinions, good or bad. James is the best shooting guard based on age, health, and potential for further improvement, but it's certainly debatable that a completely healthy Kobe or Wade would be better than him over a 7 game series. I want to see Harden be the unquestioned best regardless of the health or age of other shooting guards out there, and I'm not sure he is quite there yet.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It has been a while since I have read that article and he basically said the Rockets had to get rid of Marcus Morris and flotsam to acquire a veteran max player. I've never heard Patterson referred to as flotsam.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

So much hate on Harden by national outlets...Harden really just needs to continue his solid production. If anyone that may take a scoring hit, it might be Dwight...Harden is gonna get his 25 PPG with his 4-5 assists, and may get 2-3 rebounds. If anything Harden really should work on his defense. Other than that, there isnt another player in the NBA that can do what Harden can at the 2. Also remember that Harden was the focal point of defensive game plans.

This year, the Rockets with Howard, will force teams to make a decision on which player they'll need to stop. And there are so many folks that think Wade's #'s last year were a result of his scoring superiority. They fail to take into account that Wade is playing along side the NBA's best player. Lets look at the stats for both Wade and Harden:

wade:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fw%2Fwadedw01.html&div=div_totals"></script>

Harden:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fh%2Fhardeja01.html&div=div_totals"></script>

Just comparing when Wade and Harden at the age of 23, while the scoring average disparity might be glaring, Wade took very little shots from the 3point line, were as Harden took 486 of 1337 total shots from 3. Just looking at Harden's 2 point percentage(.477) vs a 23 year old Wade(.485), I think Harden is holding his own.

I can guarantee, that Harden will take much fewer shots and have similar results just because now he can focus on being more of a spot shooter at certain junctions of the game, as opposed to being the sole scoring threat throughout the game. My guess is that Harden is gonna shoot closer to 52% from 2 point range and about 39% from 3.

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

56.7 percent of GMs agree that Harden is the best. He was better than Kobe before Kobe got hurt. As far as age goes, people age. Outside Curry taking a big step up next year, I expect Harden will be in the 60-70% range next season.

12. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Congrats to James, well deserved.

13. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Harden is getting a looot of praise lately. NBA GMs saying he's the best SG. ESPN rankings putting him top 5. SLAM putting him top 5. Durant saying he's the best guard in the league. I think by the end of this year he can take CP3's spot as the third best player behind LeBron and Durant.

14. kastuul

kastuul Member

Before the Harden trade, those people underrated him b/c of his bad games against the Heat in Playoffs final.

It also happened to Asik who missed the FTs in Playoffs and Lin who had a bad games against the Heat.

15. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Congrats James! With the clearly improved defense, willingness to play off the ball, and deadeye three point shooting, this honor is well deserved.

16. Grinds

Grinds Member

This. Full health both Kobe and Wade are significantly better when you include defense.

17. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Full health Wade hasn't existed for the past 3-4 years & full health Kobe will never exist again after he suffered the worst tear any athlete can suffer.

So not this. Your argument is mythical.

18. Panda23

Panda23 Member

ERYYONE DISREZPEKTIN USSS

19. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Really? Regardless of age or health? So you want him to be better than prime Kobe and Wade? I mean, I want that too, but jeez.

20. Grinds

Grinds Member

90% Wade may suffice, as he posted a 24.0 PER vs Harden's 23.0 last year.

As for Kobe, remains to be seen. He does have a great history with injury recovery.

Don't get it twisted. I WANT Harden to be the best, but his defense needs to improve.