1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Game Action: 4/17/2013

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Apr 17, 2013.

1. clippy

clippy Member

No no, it's impressive. Good work!

But I'm still unclear on what you "burned" me in. I have no problem admitting when I'm wrong but so far everything I've said has been right. I know I know more about basketball than you because I worked in the industry for many years and you obviously spend most of your time posting here. Which is great, but not exactly expanding your knowledge of the game

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

ok, since you appear to be the only one still awake in this thread ... can you answer my question...why didn't Aldridge play in the 4th quarter. This is the "NBA Game Action" Thread, and this is the only reason I'm in this thread.

If you can't answer my question, yet say you know more bball than everyone else, then you are obviously only in this thread to pad your post count and troll people.

'eh clippy

3. clippy

clippy Member

I didn't watch that game but it is very normal for teams with nothing to play for to just rest guys in the final games (whether for tanking purposes or just because it doesn't matter). This is why the end of the year is by far the most profitable for sports gamblers, because the opening lines are usually based on the team record and not whether they care (eg okc losing at home to the bucks tonight).

4. carayip

carayip Member

Both Harden and Kobe are valuable as offensive players.

But the main problem is that Harden also resembles old Kobe's (no) D. Harden's one of the main reasons the Rockets is one of the worst defensive team in the league. And you can almost bet that the team D would go up a notch if Harden went out just like the Lakers playing without Kobe.

5. clippy

clippy Member

Yeah, I agree. When I look at "value" I'm not really saying if a player is talented or not but rather how easily replaced he is. Kobe can easily be replaced by committee because at the end of the day, he's basically a swingman who shoots 45% and doesn't really play D. That's why the Lakers don't skip a beat when he's gone out in the past, and this year are actually better than with him simply because they actually have a stacked team that needs touches (and Kobe's D is even worse than usual, which is saying a lot). It's blasphemy because the guy is considered an all time great, but it's true.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

They didn't rest Aldridge. Dude scored 30 pts. They just suddenly sat him when they could have won in the 4th Q. Seemed overly blatant to me.

7. clippy

clippy Member

Well I just mean at the end of the year the rotations are all arbitrary because the teams aren't really playing to win. It's like preseason. So maybe the coaches wanted to look at some other players, or maybe they were trying to tank. The other day Memphis didn't even play their starters in the 4th in a close game against Dallas and that game actually was important for Memphis.

8. Rox_Mayhem

Rox_Mayhem Member

Curry, that crossover...

9. buffalobills!!!

10. what

what Member

clippy, while me and heypee aren't the best of friends, I am absolutely certain he knows more about basketball than you.

he doesn't even talk about what he knows on the board anymore like he used to because it's above most people on the board.

11. clippy

clippy Member

I really doubt it considering that I've worked professionally as a scout and have been involved in basketball for over 20 years (not anymore). But if he has some credentials, perhaps so.

12. what

what Member

well maybe yall are on the same level, but if that is the case, i've never heard you say anything technical about basketball like I've heard heypartner say before.

13. clippy

clippy Member

Well, yeah because sports forums are mainly for trash talking among fans. If you want to talk about analytics or sports handicapping or player evaluation I'm open to it but this really doesn't seem like the venue.

I have made posts where I've gone over and shown footage of modern defenses compared to the 90s that people tend to overrate (an era I'm very familiar with since that's when I was involved in basketball), but they garnered little interest.