1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Game Action: 3/3/2017

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Clutch, Mar 3, 2017.

1. Wylo

Wylo Member

Bowen was still 6~7 PPG player with his corner 3 (his only offensive skill) which he made like once in a game on average. Roberson now averages 6.7 PPG with similar playing time. Roberson is a better athlete and gets to the rim more often. I'm not saying Roberson is on Bowen's level, but offensively there's not that much of a difference. Defensively, Harden probably had the most difficult time against him this season. Can't underestimate Roberson's defensive impact.

Can Westbrook be better as a PG? Yes, for starters, Westbrook's PnR numbers (0.88 PPP, 66.7 percentile) are not elite like Harden's (1.02 PPP, 90.8 percentile). PnR efficiency is a crucial measure for the point guards of this era, and Westbrook is only 'above average' in that department.

http://stats.nba.com/players/ball-handler/#!?sort=Poss&dir=1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular Season&PerMode=Totals

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

and maybe i just never paid attention, but after mcmillan complained about leonard's getting away with a travel on the game-winner against indy (not that refs call anything at the ends of game, or call traveling), i was watching his footwork tonight and damn did he get away with a lot of travels. not quite at lebron's level yet, hasn't mastered the take 2 steps to gather then just throw in a third step when the defender has you at his mercy travel. but still shuffled and switched and hopped a nice amount.

i feel like traveling really has gotten crazier in the last several years.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Incorrect. His 3's were very much factors and %'s absoutely mattered during his playing days bc the pace of the game was much slower than what you see now. The amount of 3's he took were the norm. Just bc he didn't bomb the same amount of 3s a game players are taking now, it doesn't take away the significance

4. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

LeBron owns every team in the east who has matched up with him in the playoffs just so they don't have the belief they can beat him - Hawks, Celtics, Raptors. The only team he never owns is a team Wade is on - look at Bulls this year and when Wade was on the Heat.

yep that's what I said earlier in the thread. I watch a lot of NBA, and Kawhi is definitely one of the players that travels A LOT. abuses it in the post a lot really

5. Wylo

Wylo Member

Again, Bowen averaged 6~7 PPG with the Spurs. Roberson averages 6.7 PPG now with the OKC. Bowen is a better shooter, but Roberson is a better slasher/athlete. Bowen is a better offensive player, but not by much.

6. YOLO

YOLO Member

you really do seem to think stats tell the entire story. You fail to take into account how the game was played during bowens area. The Spurs played a slowed down, half court game. As did much of the rest of the league. These guys were averaging like 90-95 pts a game.

Nick_713 likes this.
  7. Wylo

Wylo Member

Bowen's career TS% is 50.8%.

Roberson's career TS% is 52.6%.

Actually technically, Roberson is a more 'efficient' scorer; the reason being Bowen was never able to get to the rack or draw fouls. You still seem to have nothing to back up your argument other than your personal opinions and anecdotes. Good luck persuading anybody with that approach.

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

You have an extremely hard time understanding the full concept of a game. Pretty much a wannabe stat geek from what I've seen from you. You were just given numbers but I guess that doesn't matter. More numbers, all those Spurs teams Bowen played on were in the bottom half of the league in pace. What about okc? Well they're in the top 10. But hey that goes over your head bc you can't understand what it has to do with scoring then and now. You think 2 people who have 6 ppg on nba.com are exactly the same.

I'm not looking to pursuade anything. You're just off and I'm fine telling you that regardless of what you think your precious numbers "technically" say. The comparison you just tried to make was just plain bad.

9. Wylo

Wylo Member

When two players average similar points per game on similar playing time on similar TS%, then yes it is reasonable to conclude that those two players are similar in terms of offensive capability. Do you even understand the concept of TS%? It takes into account the number of possessions you're referring to, so the average league pace doesn't matter. It measures scoring efficiency per possession. Just stop embarrassing yourself.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Does TS% Distinguish between 2 and 3 pt shots......

11. Wylo

Wylo Member

Why does it matter? As I said, Roberson is a better at getting to the rim than Bowen ever was. Doesn't that count? Bowen is a better shooter, but not more efficient scorer because he was not able to penetrate at all.

BTW, this discussion is truly bizarre for me because I'm old enough to remember that back in 2000s people were saying the exact same thing with regard to Bowen (that he's not an NBA starter material) and is a HORRIBLE offensive player. Funny how in some people's minds Bowen was an offensive threat at anytime in his career.

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

Bc it does matter and TS% doesn't differentiate between the two. Bowen could very well take 2 possessions to score 6 points while Roberson who is a terrible shooter needs Atleast 3 possesions or more to reach the same 6 points. Obviously, Roberson isn't more efficient in that case. You keep trying to bring up Roberson and being able to penetrate as if you can give him the ball and let him go get a bucket. Fast break wide open layups doesn't mean you can penetrate. You trying to use TS% again proved there's more to it than just looking up numbers.

Nobody is calling Bowen an offensive monster but he did Make teams pay for leaving him and came up clutch in big moments. He's just not comparable to a terrible offensive player like Roberson.

13. Wylo

Wylo Member

If Roberson needs to take 3 possessions to reach 6 points as opposed to Bowen's 2 possessions, then his TS% got to be lower than Bowen's. That's how the calculation works; it's a per possession statistic.

If you watch OKC games, Roberson does penetrate time to time, and he scores on fast breaks because of his athleticism, which Bowen clearly lacked. Since when the ability to get to the rim didn't count? It's a huge factor in any player's offense. Roberson is not an elite slasher, but at least he's capable. Bowen had zero ability to get to the rack, nor was able to participate in the fast breaks.

I'm not going to repeat myself after this point because you clearly don't even understand the basics.

#113 Wylo, Mar 4, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Let me know when TS differentiates bw 2s and 3s.

15. Wylo

Wylo Member

Let me know when you even understand the basic concept of TS.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

I wonder what roberson is like at the FT line.......

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

That you didnt know it doesn't differentiate between the two lol

18. Wylo

Wylo Member

There are other ways to score when you get close to the rim. It's called layups and dunks.

19. Wylo

Wylo Member

Still not understanding? OK

20. Wylo

Wylo Member

Roberson's career 2PT% : 59.5%

Bowen's career 2PT% : 42.1%

No, but Bowen is a far superior offensive player because he made like one three pointer in a game.