1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBA Fanhouse] Tracy McGrady Point Guard Experiment Working? Working

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by liunatic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Tmac is not a point forward, either agree with me or you are dumb

2. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

You're joking, right? He's not allowed to refer to himself in first person when people ask him questions about himself?

... Would you prefer he went the Lebron route and said "Tracy McGrady likes the way the team runs when Tracy has the ball...".

The haters on this board are just utterly ridiculous. :rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  3. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

Good for Mac and there is nothing wrong of what he said. A lot of athletic basketball players don't have a high basketball IQ once they lost their athleticism and it is the truth.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I suspect that most coaches are still too deep-rooted on the traditional position labels. So if these taller guys aren't called PGs, then you have to play a PG alongside them. But most of those PG's job is just bring the ball up court and then hand it over to the real point man and play like one of the wing players.

On defense, you match up the players according to size and speed, regardless of their positions. On offense, what they do is a lot more meaningful than what they are labeled.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

good he is doing better and realizing his limits

i dont get the people saying the bball iq thing Tracy was and probably still is one of the smartest players I have ever seen play when it comes to bball iq...his mental toughness, determination and illusions of grandeur are what was terrible. is ball IQ though was one of the best.

I think he is realizing what he cant do now and what he can and is playing on that he'll never be the scoring champ threat he was but I see no reason why he couldnt go out and average 15/7/5 for the next 3-4 years which would be a great statline from your PG

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

I know I was just responding to the part that said good luck on the defensive side of the ball.

7. StanleyHartwell

He WAS a superstar, one of the best if not the best in his position in the league. He's certainly entitled to "illusions of grandeur," is he?

As to toughness, this guy performs better in playoffs than in the regular season. You know the saying, as the going gets tough, who gets going? I never understand why players like Kevin Garnett, who typically underperforms in the most important games, are universally hailed as tough, while T-mac is labeled as soft.

Do not look at their mannerisms on the court. Look at their actual production, man.

8. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i meant after his injuries the last two years as a rocket when he thought he was t-mac when he was just tracy mcgrady

he was a star but his toughness was never there

i mean game 7 against utah he said he was tired at the end...i know the guy performed will but there is a point where your "will" and determination needs overpower what your body is saying.

and his production is telling hasnt moved past the first round at all (except the year he didnt play)

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

You can always nitpick 1 game about any player but he always stepped it up in the playoffs. Those years Rockets couldn't beat the Mavs and Jazz in the playoff series weren't his fault. Just look at his numbers.

Let's just say this.. we didn't lose those series because of T-mac. We may have lost a playoff game or two during all those years but never an entire series.

10. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

One could argue we lost a couple of games in the playoffs because of McGrady, but one could also argue we won most of our games in the playoffs because of McGrady.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Not Tracy.

12. krnxsnoopy

That's exactly what I said.

And Tmac gets ALL the blame for not "getting out of the 1st round". Typical baseless, hater statement because it sounds like such a strong bold statement. Any logical person who has watched the series knows this is a complete lie.

You can quote this. Tracy Mcgrady never caused us to lose a playoff series.

#32 krnxsnoopy, Jan 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  13. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Problem for the majority of his time here, JVG was the coach, and like any particularly bad coach, he'd leave a slow centre with decent range stuck in the low block, meaning the slasher doesn't have room to slash.

If Yao would have rotated to the high post, his range would mean his man has to go with him, leaving no real protection to stop mcgrady....

14. AXG

AXG Member

Seriously.

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Yeah, I guess so. The Pistons are 8-7 when McGrady starts.

16. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tracy McGrady also never caused us to win a playoff series.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

it better be on a team where on the defensive side he can cover the 2 or the 3. cause no way in hell he can stay in front of the elite point guards.

18. krnxsnoopy

[​IMG]

Except for the fact I have never heard anyone say he did. On the contrary, haters love pointing out Mcgrady never made it out of the first round - implying that in some way, it was his fault.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That sounds like something you pulled out of his quote book.

20. krnxsnoopy

Clever. (not really)

Can you dispute the validity of that statement? I'd love to hear your explanation.