1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Expansion: Sonics Probably Returning

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hoopster325, Oct 25, 2016.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are there any other markets where an NBA and NHL team share an arena and the NBA team isn't the primary tenant? It seems like in most cities with a franchise in both leagues, they share an arena. I can't imagine there are many expansion candidates more attractive than Seattle where an NBA-specific arena would be more lucrative than a reborn Sonics team.

While the league seems intent on exploring Mexico City (which I think would be very cool, but I can't imagine it'd be as successful as they would like), the only other markets that make sense for expansion are Vancouver (would share an arena with the Canucks), Kansas City (older arena for an expansion team) and Montreal (little basketball interest and would share with the Canadiens).

I guess it would come down to whether the NBA would completely abandon Seattle forever in favor of an arena deal in a less-populated and wealthy city. Unfortunately, they already did that 10 years ago and I'm probably in denial that they wouldn't do it forever.

MadMax and da_juice like this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

This is one way btch Durant can change his image, comes back to the city that first drafted him and get a ring there. Still hard to erase the stigma of being a little btch that took the ez way to a ring.

gotsis and Bearius Jones like this.
  3. photojoe

photojoe Member

As a Rockets fan, I had bad memories of the Sonics teams from the mid 90s that we used to struggle with.

As a current Seattle resident, the thought of the Sonics coming back is super exciting

Deckard, BigShasta and Bearius Jones like this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Good question..I don't know. From that article I read in this thread, it sounded like the NBA felt like it might even take building another arena.

And I definitely don't disagree with you about the market. Other things being equal, Seattle seems easily to me to be the most attractive market for an NBA team to be in where there isn't one already.

5. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

They should just expand the NBA to try to become the #1 sport in America. Take some of that NFL pie while it's vulnerable.

Redo Division and Playoff Structure similar to NFL. 8 Divisions. 4 in the West and 4 in the East. Have Division winners match up with the opposite conference division winners. Best teams in championship no matter the conference.

Expand to Seattle and bring back the SuperSonics so the Rockets can beat them in a playoff series!!!! Kevin Durant should definitely sign there...and I'm sure he would bring some suitable teammates. But who? Jeff Green. Nick Collison. Unknown SuperStar. Top 5 Lottery Pick for being a "new" team.

Expand to Vegas and open up regulated gambling. $Profit through the roof$ Team name: Las Vegas Mobsters, Nevada Gamblers, etc... Big name free agents will flock to Vegas.

Every NBA team should have a G-League team like baseball minor league. This will improve the talent management and growth. Take some of that MLB pie from little town revenue. Maybe have the G-League championship effect the NBA Draft Lottery percentages in favor of the winning teams.

plutoblue11 and BigShasta like this.
  6. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

If we
    If we got moved to the East, this team would win 75-77 games.

7. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No team will every be put in Mexico City. Why? Safety. Millionaires and their families would be targets for kidnapping and ransom. Mexico would have to change DRAMATICALLY in 10 years for that to happen. Players Union would fight any potential teams. In fact, I would bet you won't have any players commit to playing there more than a few games that are exhibition or one off. There are other cities in the US and Canada that are much better candidates.

HTX Ninja likes this.