1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Draft Promises & the Rockets trying to get a late 1st round pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

I was referring to us getting involved right now, but Sac beat us to the punch. I didn't know he has a trade kicker in his contract, but sounds pretty ridiculous for a player of his caliber. Philly really reached on that contract.

2. AXG

AXG Member

I think Whiteside and Alabi will be late 1st-, early 2nd round picks. Sanders seems like he'll go at 15 to Milwaukee. Many think Morey will buy/trade for another pick so those either of those two could still be possibilites later on. There's been much talk about this Williams guy, so maybe they trade down and get two picks for the #14 and draft Williams + a big man.

3. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I'm not one of JT's biggest fans, but I think he can crack the rotation in the next year or two. Others on this board think even higher of his potential.

Just because Gilbert Arenas is way better than a 2nd rounder doesn't mean that JT isn't, too.

What is a generic 2nd rounder? Somebody that has a small chance of making it to his 2nd season in the NBA. JT is much better than that. If nothing else, I think the board consensus is that he can at least make it through another NBA season, and quite possibly much better than that.

JT is way better than a generic 2nd round pick. Not better than, say, Carl Landry, way better than most 2nd-rounders (who are long gone), but way better than the average 2nd-rounder.

4. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Now Blazers are trying to get Elliot Williams, I swear they just find out who we are interested in or working out, and try to get them, pathetic :

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

We need to give some false clues on some scrub...

6. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Both the Bulls and Heat are looking to get out of the draft all together... so if we purchase one of their picks we can surely secure Elliot Williams, but I don't know if his worth being drafted at the 17th or 18th pick...

--RB

7. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

All these listed draft promises from the article brings back memories of when Rudy T promised Rashard Lewis that he would draft him with one of the Rockets' three first round picks.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Promises, especially on late picks, get broken all the time. I believe it was reported Jon Brockman had a promise from somebody that got broken and that's how he fell to the Kings and some speculation that the promise came from the Spurs, who ended up picking DeJuan Blair instead (and quite reasonably, too).

9. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

So Spurs and Blazers like him alot as well...

We're probably going to have to trade for the Heat or Celtics' pick if we want to get him.

10. Vivid

Vivid Member

He definitely fits in with Daryl's MO... an under the radar type of player who took a reputation hit and as result, is attainable for a lower price. He was underwhelming at Duke, had a quietly successful year in Memphis averaging 18/4/4, and is considered the 2nd best sg in the draft. At 6'4 he is a bit undersized like JT, but this is punctuated by the fact that he is about 40 lbs. lighter. Great length and quickness allows him to be an above average defender. His most "Morey-like" attribute is that he gets to the line a lot. In fact his ability to get to the line is in the upper echelon of this draft class. He also has one of the lowest outputs of pull up jumpers per game in this draft class, which means he drives it in a lot. His first workout was for Houston, and couple day later the Spurs are rumored to be targeting him, having not even worked him out. Four days later the Blazers hop on board the Elliot express. I am not surprised, given Morey's recent successes, that other teams, namely the Spurs and the Blazers, are jumping on this info. Whether we get him or not, it is reassuring that our front office has garnered that type of reputation that other teams would just bank on.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

There is way too much posturing and misinformation going around to believe any of this. This is the time to just sit back and get ready to enjoy the show...

1 person likes this.
  12. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

I agree. This is the day where all of the rumors really start flying. I guess its good reading material to distract all of us from work. We have no clue what will happen tomorrow night. Nothing wrong with a little guess work and seeing who gets the name right. That person will surely post that they called it. Morey has already put some good talent and assets on our roster so it will be interesting to see how this plays out tomorrow night. I wll be sitting back watching the show. This is our future!

13. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

We as rocket fans have to take our hat off to Morey, cuz he definetly keeps his plans very well guarded with the team in mind. I have no idea who he's going to draft tomorrow or what kind of trade he'll attempt to make. Dork Elvis is utterly cold blooded in these situations.

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I agree that if he is still there at 14 or if we only have to give up 2011 pick/cash to trade down a few spots, he is a great pickup for us. Will he be the next great Center???... no, but he will be able to step right in and give us a quality big at a reasonable cost for 3 to 5 years while we address the Yao Ming situation and his future.

15. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

He's a rim protector with true size thats played against real competition. I would be happy with taking him all the way down at #14.

16. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

[Y! Sports]Kings Plan to draft DeMarcus Cousins

http://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/statuses/16874012417

Does this change the Rockets plans? Minnesota was open to trading that pick but it doesnt seem like Sacramento will.

Then again the Kings and the Rockets do have trading history together:

Ron Artest Deal
    Kevin Martin/Landry swap

But at the same time Cousins is the type of player they can use...this definitely changes the way the Rockets will approach draft need IF Cousins falls past Minnesota

17. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If Cousins goes to the Kings, then I don't see the Rockets trading up. Not sure there is anyone worth moving up for where we would have to give up a decent asset to move up.

18. s3ts

s3ts Member

YES!

PLEASE GIVE US A LEFTY!!

19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm always skeptical of draft promises, because they aren't beneficial for teams, so I was interested to see how well this guy's info turned out to be.

1) Sanders has a promise by the Bucks: They took him at #15, so looks like his info was good.

2) Paul George has a promise from the Wolves to go #16: Undetermined, since George went #10.

3) Patterson would go to Raptors at #13 (doesn't say 'promise' and hedges a little): Nope. Raptors take Davis instead.

4) Dominique Jones would go to Celtics at #19 (waffles a lot on this one): Nope. Spurs take Avery Bradley and Jones goes #25 to the Grizzlies.

5) Orton has promise from OKC at #21: Nope. OKC passes not once but twice, taking Brackins and Pondexter and leaving Orton to #29 to the Magic.

6) Luke Babitt or maybe Xavier Henry will go to Grizzlies at #12: Okay, they got Henry.

7) Hobson has promises from several teams late in Round 1: Nope. Picked 7th in Round 2 by the Bucks.

So, overall, he hits on 2 and misses on 4, with one undetermined.

Does anyone know of other alleged promises and if they were fulfilled or not?