1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Draft Promises & the Rockets trying to get a late 1st round pick?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Egghead, Jun 20, 2010.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I hope he means in production only because I'd hate another bad defensive, bad rebounding undersized 4.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

Morey never said he'd do it with the 14th pick.

I'll take a bad defensive, bad rebounding undersized 4 with Landry's skills in the 2nd round. ;)

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

morey always gives draft guarantees and lets the media know what he is doing before the draft.

seriously, guys the only certainty with morey is someone who will be hyperactive on draft night.

4. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

With the exceptional depth in this draft, Im pretty sure the rockets could swap their own 2012 1st round pick to teams that hold multiple picks in the 1st round like the Thunder #21, #26, Grizzlies #25,#28 and Timberwolves #23 and pick up an extra 1st round pick in this years draft. The rockets will still own the Knicks pick in 2012 that still gives them options to participate in that years draft.

5. h0uston83

h0uston83 Member

I feel Gordon Hayward is very similar to Chase Budinger, I really don't think we would draft him-- unless maybe D.M. feels Chase Buddinger needs a white homeboy to chill with..lol!

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Looking back, I wish we'd packaged Jeffries and filler for Samuel Dalembert. Not impressed by the scrubs at C like Whiteside and Orton.

7. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

you guys think in the mode of "who do we need?"

you should be thinking "who can we get and blackmail other teams out of picks?"

thats the best strategy

it is a near LOCK that #13 toronto is taking paul george

solution: trade the 14 and filler for 12 or 11 or 10 and take paul george even though we dont need him

then toronto freaks out, and comes calling Morey begging for george

Morey says : you only paul george if you remove all sign and trades for bosh except Rockets, give us bosh otherwise no deal

or Morey can say "if you want paul so bad,give us #13 and amir johnson " toronto might say yes....then at 13 you take sanders or whiteside

then,if toronto says its bosh's choice not theirs, we simply replace jermaine taylor with paul george if toronto/bosh doesnt go through

taylor can be used to trade up i guess.

8. Egghead

Egghead Member

I thought it was a near lock the Raptors will take Avery Bradley @ # 13.

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WAOxY_nHdew&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WAOxY_nHdew&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> ;)

10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Problem is that TO has nothing to say about Bosh's future. He can just...leave.

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Two things:

(1) The Rockets traded for Jeffries AT the deadline. I seriously doubt that Morey would have even had time to turn around and trade Jeffries for Dalembert. It would have had to be a four-way trade, and those are VERY complicated to pull off.

(2) Dalembert's trade kicker likely would have prevented the Rockets from sneaking below the luxury tax threshold (a VERY underrated product of the deadline dealing on Morey's part). This would have essentially cost Les several millions of dollars, just to have an overpaid backup center for next season (especially when he could have always just waited until July to make the same move and NOT had to pay luxury tax). Those millions in lost revenues may have made it more difficult for Morey to go out and buy picks in this year's draft or perhaps even (further) hampered the Rockets' willingness to use their MLE this summer.

So, . . . no.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

LOL!!! This is FAR AND AWAY my favorite line from Billy Madison. It cracks me up every time!

13. valorita

valorita Member

I'm not sure how credible this guy Bill Ingram is but he claims to have a close connection with Houston staff.

He mentions:

-Amare is our top target, Bosh is 2nd; they aren't considering Al Jef

-Management has told K. Martin and Brooks that if either of them are the asking price of Bosh, then they will get traded.

-Whiteside is the early favorite at 14 if they can't move up

-Pekovic(sp?) with Minn might be in the works, perhaps to flip to anther team

Can anybody add or detract to his credibility as a knowledgeable source?

14. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Isn't that the Hoops World guy? If so, then No. He isn't credible.

But if I'm getting him mixed up with someone else then I apologize.

15. valorita

valorita Member

no that's him.
    he calls himself the "Rockets Guy" :confused:

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

This is ridiculous. There is no way management would tell a player that they will be dealt in the right scenario unless a deal is imminent. That would do nothing but piss off players and be incredibly disloyal.

And there is no reason to believe that Amare will be easier to bring in than Bosh, so I have a hard time believing he would be higher priority than Bosh.

17. QdoubleA

QdoubleA Member

Problem with that is, Bosh isn't going to leave about 25 million dollars lying on the table, it will be a SnT therefore Toronto does have some say.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not credible though

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=5362111&postcount=86

19. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Yeah, he also says he "confirmed" that the team isn't in on the Al Jefferson bidding.

This guy has been making stuff up for YEARS and has never been right (to my knowledge) about ANYTHING. How the hell does he still have a job when he pretends to be an insider? Must be nice...

20. Vader

Vader Member

lol this line.

Bill Ingram has zero credibility.