1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA discusses anti tanking measures

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by downbytheriver, Mar 1, 2014.

1. downbytheriver

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10534698/tanking-talk-hot-topic-annual-sloan-conference

Hmm... not sure how I feel about this. Top draft prospects go to the teams with the most cap room? They can decide where they want to go? Just more reason for small market teams to never land big names or have to overpay to keep potential talent.
    I don't see MLB and NFL teams complaining about the draft system.

2. VBG

VBG Member

I like the draft wheel thing that Grantland had. A rotating system where each team gets a number 1 pick once every 30 years.

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I dont have a huge problem with it. Tanking is dumb in the NBA, but they are almost never rewarded. The team with the best chance almost never gets the first pick.

4. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

There will probably be a provision that allows the "lottery" teams to offer the most money along with a less substantial cap hit. Otherwise, this system surely falls apart.

5. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

This is what I poster in the garm

My system is extremely different and I haven't been able to think it out,,but man it would make for excellent tv viewing compared to what we have now (which is still okay)

My system is revolved around an auction where players who have entered the draft go one by one by some sort of ranking which allows clubs to bid on players. Their would have to be some weighted to bad teams, but my idea would be that future 1st round picks would turn into stake or % of the total amount of bids for that team in a singular year.

For example:

Phil trades hawes
    For
    cavs for 10% of their bids in 2014 (basically value of a 2nd round pick) and 10% in 2016

Or
    Pelicans trades 80% of 2014 bids
    For
    Sixers JRUE holiday.

My method still gives some advantage to tanking (like every system does) but it gives more advantage to teams who trade wisely and are the anti dolars of the world.

A team like the rockets could of accumulated so much % of bids and could of got that top prospect without every bottoming out. Which is what everyone wants in a draft system.

My system gives some incentive to those who are terriable for example the bottom team may get 100 dollars worth of bids the second worst May get 95 dollars so so forth while the last may get 40 dollars so the % of trade bids team gets varies depending on where teams finish! my system also also for trades to still have protection unlike the wheel or other methods.

Thoughts?

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Auction style is not a new concept and has been discussed before.

7. Voice of Aus

I'm not trying to seem dismissive but are their any articles or discussions I can read or view on this that come from creditable sports media writers?

I can't seem to find any discussions worth noting

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

If they become free agents, then most will sign with the better show city. Something has to be done, this league is becoming a joke. I would say just let everybody get a pick regardless of record but then again, rigged stuff will happen.

9. Voice of Aus

Are you saying free agents have to enter the draft?

10. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Want to stop tanking? Give the teams that make the playoffs the lottery picks. If you want a chance to get the number one pick you have to play well. No incentives for playing poorly.

11. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

12. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=243769

1 person likes this.
  13. Voice of Aus

14. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Don't make it too complicated.

Everyone gets ONE lottery ball in the lotto EXCEPT the top 4 teams from each conference. These teams are not going to tank because they obviously will be fighting for HCA every night.

Tanking solved.

Would it be fair? No. A team like the Warriors can get Embid...but then again you have a salary cap that is pretty strict...therefore the issue of overpowered teams will solve itself.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

I like the idea of an evenly weighed lottery that includes the bottom 22 (everyone w/o homecourt advantage).

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

- Equal opportunity lottery for every team (to prevent tanking)
    - Hard cap or no max contract, or both (to prevent super lucky teams from dominating over a long time)
    - No protection allowed for trading draft picks (to add value to first round picks)

17. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Before the lottery, you have another machine that picks between 0 and 1. If it's 0, then the lottery is stacked towards the teams with lower winning percentage (i.e. what it is now). If it's 1, then stack it the complete opposite (i.e. best record team that missed playoffs have best odds to land #1 pick).

End result? Some years you reward teams with worse record to help them 'get better'. Some years you reward the teams that worked their ass off but just barely missed the playoffs. At the end of the day, nobody will want to tank.

Thoughts?

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

I like it, but the average fan may find it too confusing and complex and not like it.

19. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Teams will still tank. You'll have your standard teams tanking for least amount of wins and another new group trying to just miss the playoffs.

20. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

Just give the Rockets the first pick every year...system solved.