1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Degen Gambling Thread

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by el gnomo, Feb 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

can someone please explain to me what those lines mean? I'm a complete novice when it comes to betting, would love to try this out some time. e.g. what does Hawks +2 mean?

thanks in advance

2. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

+2 means they are a 2 point underdog. Assuming you bet on the Hawks in that situation, if they lose by more than 2 points, you lose. If they lose by exactly 2 points, it's a push and you get your money back. If they lose by 1 point or win the game by any amount, you win.

1 person likes this.
  3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I guess I should have included an example of the other side as well. Tonight, OKC was -15, which means they were favored by 15 pts. If you bet them, they needed to win by MORE than 15 pts in order for you to win the bet. An exact 15 pt win is a push, and any result less than a 15 pt win is a loss. They won 119-74, so they easily covered the spread tonight.

4. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

just add(or subtract) the +/- number on their final score. If they win they win, if they still lose they lose.

5. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

I'm going with Ind -1 tonight.

Pacers have been playing great at home since the all star break. I think they also match up pretty well with the Clippers with their size inside.

6. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Only 3 games in the NBA tonight and I'm playing 2 games. And also 1 in college.

I'll start off with my college play. Gonna pick a crappy Northwestern team to cover against Ohio St. Everyone knows Ohio st. is a tough team and Northwestern offense is pretty much non existant. That equates to a blowout win by Ohio St. Northwestern since 09 has played Ohio St. very tough at home. I'll gladly take the 10.5 points and I'm pretty sure that will go down by game time. Northwestern will lose by 3 - 7 points so take the points in this one.

Everyone has seen how the Pacers have dominated as of late. Home team pretty much owns this series, but I don't think so tonight. If Pacers were giving more than 1, I would side with the Pacers. Hot team playing at home and only giving 1 point? Got pick at some places. I'll side with the Clippers. I see great value here.

Final game I'm playing tonight will be the Sixers. 6 losses in a row? Embarrasing loss to Orlando? Everyone is ready to jump ship and think the Bulls will blow them out. I think this will be a close, low scoring game. Sixers may be able to pull this one out. Game will be decided by the final possession, or so I hope. lol

College

Northwestern +10.5 Don't be afraid. They always wake up against Ohio St.

NBA

Clippers +1 They are going to try to prove a point tonight.
    Sixers +7 Game is going to be close. May sprinkle some on the moneyline and under.

Comments? Good luck!

7. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

I think I'm gonna hit the Clippers too... I think the line is that low due to Hibbert being suspended (I completely forgot about that when I guessed the line would be Indi by 3+). Either way, I think the Clips match up pretty well with Indi's size and physicality.

8. BmwM3

I capped that in mind with Hibbert playing for some reason. :grin: I like the Clips even more without Hibbert playing. But will keep my amount the same. For some reason, short handed teams, either through a major trade or suspensions always pull it out somehow. I remember that Denver trade last year or the year before and they only suited up like 7 players. They were big dogs and spanked whoever they were playing. I forgot what team though.

One thing I'm bad at, at times, is looking up injury/suspension reports. Thanks for the heads up el gnomo.

9. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

I put a decent size wager on Sixers +7

10. BmwM3

What's your reasoning? I'm thinking of putting anpther unit on them, but would like to hear your reasoning.

11. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

I'm on the Clippers as well. I got them as a pick em bet. The loss of Hibbert for tonight hurts the Pacers' rebounding and interior defense. Crawford is back for LAC, but Bledsoe is a game-time decision. Pacers don't have much of a bench when compared to LAC's quality depth. The one match up that worries me is Paul George vs. whoever is guarding him. I hope flop city isn't foolish enough to put Billups on George. I'm thinking they put Butler on him and shift Billups over to Stephenson on the defensive end.

I don't have anything on the other games...may look at the LAL-Minn game depending on how this one goes. As far as Philly-Chi, I think this game could go either way. On paper, 76ers should cover +7 (especially with Taj Gibson out, which leaves the Bulls with no bigs off the bench except Nazr and 76ers could hurt the Bulls on the boards as Noah and Boozer tire out), but Doug Collins may have lost his team. The Bulls could rebound and perform at a high level after their lackluster effort the past few games. I think it all depends on how the team responds to Collins's press conference the other day. It could either alienate them or motivate them. If I had to bet on this game, I would take Philly +7.

Edit: Bledsoe will be available for the Clippers per LAC's twitter page.

#131 Kwame, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

(3-3)

I just got the Clippers +1.5. Not sure why that line moved in that direction, but oh well.

13. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Andrei Kirilenko is OUT with a left calf strain. Nikola Pekovic is probable due to illness. I'm sure Pek will play, but Kirilenko would've been responsible for Kobe, right?

14. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Picking TWolves to win.

:D

15. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Uh oh, this might be bad news for us Clippers backers...I think some large money may have come in on the Pacers before tipoff, which caused the line to move 1.5 points from where it was at when I looked earlier. Hopefully, Granger, who's been playing poorly (2-17 in the two games I think since he's been back) doesn't go off tonight.

I don't trust the Lakers at all, but they're desperate and we might be looking at a blowout with AK47 out.

16. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

+7.5 76ers.

17. BmwM3

I don't trust the late line movement. We still got this. Actually all my games, the line has moved opposite for me. lol

18. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

[7-4-1] for me from the start of the thread; did not count a few parlay wins(big in terms of my bankroll.!)

Let's see what happens today. I believe 76ers game will be close and cover the thread. Betting on Lakers losing too; They have like 20 straight wins against Minny so Adelman's gotta get one back someday...bet is relative small so just for the fun of watching the game when something's on the line.

GL to all!

19. BmwM3

I'm hoping the scoring keeps up in this Clip game so I can pound the second half under.

20. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

The 'IT'S ON TV!' action degen got the best of me... adding Philly +7.5.