1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Commercials for this year's Playoffs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JusBleezy, Jun 1, 2005.

1. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

I feel like the NBA does an excellent job every year with the Playoff commercials to hype the games up and this year is no different. The different shots of different teams in the locker room preparing for the game i.e. putting on their headbands, tieing their shoes, putting on their jerseys combined with the music is excellent. What do you guys think?

2. dback816

dback816 Member

I've never liked NBA commercials. 99% of them have the players wearing their complete outfits (jersey+shorts+sneakers) in everyday situations, which just doesnt seem very nature.

But that's just me lol

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

For once I'd like to see them pay homage to playoffs past a la March Madness. I'm tired of seeing Jordan's shot in Utah, Magic's baby hook, etc. I want to see this kiss of death, I want to see Miller's magic at the Garden, I want to see Horry draining that 3 against the Kings...that's the stuff that people need to see.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But stilll you only see a few select plays in March Madness past... namely, Laettner's shot, NC State beating Phi Slamma Jamma, Jordan's shot (against Georgetown).

The greatest NBA playoff plays should be limited to conference and championship series... and even then, they need to be either buzzer beaters, or shots hit by superstars (note that you never see Vinny Johnson's all-time greatest moments, or even Steve Kerr or John Paxson's jump shots... which meant just as much as Jordan's)

Personally, I think the top playoff plays involve: Jordan's shot vs. Utah, Magic's sky-hook in game 4, Bird's steal of Isaiah's inbound pass, Havlicek stealing the ball, Garr Heard's turnaround shot at the buzzer to send it into 2OT (one of the greatest games period), Jordan's switching hands in mid-air against the Lakers, Jordan nailing his 6th three of the half against the Blazers (shoulder shrug).... and finally Hakeem tipping in Clyde's miss in game 1 of the 95 finals (that should get more credit... you hardly ever see that... if he had done it at the buzzer, it probably would be more well-known but alas, there were .03 seconds left.)

5. RocketsFAN3035

I agree, just thought I'd add a few of my favs:

Dr. J's behind the backboard thing--I NEVER get sick of seeing that.

AI's 48 points and the three he hit when he stepped over Ty Lue--that was just so cool, he was like, you can't gaurd me

How about's Hakeem's three in the corner in Game 7---that was just one of my favorite basketball memories along with "Don't EVER underestimate the heart of a champion."

I wasn't around yet, but I've seen the clip of Jerry West's half court shot in MSG....in '70 I think.....maybe '72

The Kiss of Death......just because

6. piggy

piggy Member

Regarding the commercials, I actually like the series where Dr. J hosts a radio call-in show, and players call in to profess their love for the trophy.

Tracy McGrady called in and offered to change his name to "Tracy McTrophy."
    I thought that was really funny, but they stopped showing that particular one when the Rockets were eliminated.
    :(

"McTrophy..."
    LOL

7. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Did you see it more than once?

I've watched the playoffs every night and only saw it one time overall, while I've seen the same Wade, Hamilton & Ginobili/Parker spots over and over and over again.

The ads originally posted about are ESPN's own and not done by the league.

I did see a NBA Finals "Where Legends are Born" commercial the other night highlighting Dream's tip-in at the buzzer in OT of Game 1 against Orlando. That was cool to see as it seems Houston/'Dream' never get that kind of coverage.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Thank god dirk is gone. Although it was mildly amusing first time. I think there is one playa who sleeps with the trophy and I thought that is getting a little too weird for me.

9. cuneo77

cuneo77 Contributing Member

the duncan one is annopying,the "lalalalalala,i cant hear you,lalalala" its 2x annoying cuz they played it last yr

10. piggy

piggy Member

I only saw it once, but I'm pretty sure they only run commercials featuring active players. Mr. McTrophy's season ended after the 1st round...